Corporations re-naming well-known buildings.

Oerwinde

Does it piss anyone else off when a corporation buys a well known building and changes the name of the building to the name of the company? For example Rogers Communications bought the Skydome in Toronto recently and renamed it the Rogers Center, and in Vancouver, Telus Communications bought the naming rights to Science World, the spherical Vancouver landmark, and re-named it the TELUSphere. I know it makes business sense, to attach your name to a major landmark, but does it piss anyone else off?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Does it piss anyone else off when a corporation buys a well known building and changes the name of the building to the name of the company? For example Rogers Communications bought the Skydome in Toronto recently and renamed it the Rogers Center, and in Vancouver, Telus Communications bought the naming rights to Science World, the spherical Vancouver landmark, and re-named it the TELUSphere. I know it makes business sense, to attach your name to a major landmark, but does it piss anyone else off?

yup... the saavis center in st. louis. coincidentally, the company saavis is also the brainchild of the same guy getting sued for the phantom game system... infinium labs?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The Skydome had a name change? 8)

"Does it piss anyone else off when a corporation buys a well known building and changes the name of the building to the name of the company?"

No. It doesn't bother me at all. IKt's a name of a building. No biggy. If they own the huilding, or pay for the privelege than so be it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The thing is, the name is put up for sale by the owners of the building or property, so a business that opts to buy naming rights isn't really at fault. Of course, the corporation could just give a donation, but no-one is in business for altruistic reasons.

What bothers me more than just selling the general name, is selling naming rights to various areas of the building, so you get Buick Drive, the Bell Lobby, the Kraft Theatre and so on; that's just tacky on the part of the owner.

newlogo.gif