ATI video cards with KotOR2

I have tried the 5.4 driver and visited almost all planets to text it.

The only problem i have is in Dantooine, like before, but with this driver i've been able to manage it.

First i must say that my problem was exactly the same as the Noun one. Lag, teleporting... unplayable. I tried the disable vertex line, and even with that, 5 seconds after landing in dantooine, the same thing happened again.

Now with the 5.4 I tried... good! No lag, no teleport. I go out, explore the city, talk with this one, that one... But, wait... IT HAPPENS AGAIN! at least, now you can be 10 minutes or so walking by Dantooine until that stupid lag starts again.

And hey, the good new is: when lag appears, go to graphic options and change something that make the driver to reload the screen (AA filter, texture quality... any of those options). Then, you can play again normally for some more minutes.

So, this is not a fix. But at least you can play it for some minutes, restore it, and continue playing. Hope it helps.

I've got a 256MB GDDR3 ATI Radeon X800 XT, and I haven't experienced any of these problems. I've played the game with the 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 catalyst drivers and zero graphical or technical issues. No slowdown, no corruption, etc. :)

I don't know what's going on here, but I have to think that maybe its the pc configuration and not necessarily the card or the drivers.

I've got a 256MB GDDR3 ATI Radeon X800 XT, and I haven't experienced any of these problems.  I've played the game with the 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 catalyst drivers and zero graphical or technical issues.  No slowdown, no corruption, etc.  :p

I don't know what's going on here, but I have to think that maybe its the pc configuration and not necessarily the card or the drivers.

Why don't you try playing the game without enabling cheats then maybe you will be able spot the problems?

Why don't you try playing the game without enabling cheats then maybe you will be able spot the problems?

This brings up the numerous gameplay glitches like Defense bonuses not stacking; upgrades not adding to the weapon/armor once they are upgraded, etc, etc.

These are core game functions for D&D-type RPG and if these aren't functioning... What does that tell you about the game as a whole?

That statement makes no sense.

Cheats are a seperate issue, and wouldn't very likely have any effect on whether or not one faces technical or graphical issues. If anything, cheating would make the game more unstable and more prone to problems.

I've played through the game the first time without cheats. I then enabled them to experiment and have fun, in addition to gaining certain items I didn't collect before due to the random item generator.

So having played the game with and without cheats, and with three different versions of ATI drivers, I have to say that on an ATI card, KoTOR 2 plays extremely well. It runs smoothly and looks great. Once again, I blame these supposed problems on the pc configuration and how clean the hard drive is, not the particular driver or card. If it were the latter, I wouldn't have been able to play like I did. :)

ATI cards

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

That statement makes no sense.

Cheats are a seperate issue, and wouldn't very likely have any effect on whether or not one faces technical or graphical issues. If anything, cheating would make the game more unstable and more prone to problems.

I've played through the game the first time without cheats. I then enabled them to experiment and have fun, in addition to gaining certain items I didn't collect before due to the random item generator.

So having played the game with and without cheats, and with three different versions of ATI drivers, I have to say that on an ATI card, KoTOR 2 plays extremely well. It runs smoothly and looks great. Once again, I blame these supposed problems on the pc configuration and how clean the hard drive is, not the particular driver or card. If it were the latter, I wouldn't have been able to play like I did. :ermm:

And I blame the problems on ATI. Catalyst 4.11 did not have any lag problems on my system and everyone posting in this thread except you. The problem only started 4.12 onwards and the workaround was to use Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1. In the 5.4 readme, ATI themselves claimed to have solved the lag problems on Dantooine in their readme. Unfortunately, the moment one quicksaves(f4), the lag returns.

So tell me, if indeed the problems are due to pc config or unclean hard drive, then how come ATI says they fixed the problem with their driver in their readme for Cats 5.4? Of course it wasn't really a fix since it breaks when one quicksaves.

I can't speak for you or others here, but what I do know is that I haven't experienced these problems. If they were truly universal (i.e. drivers) issues, then I'd have had the same problems. I've never used driver 4.11--only 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4 and all three have worked perfectly, so I can't very well blame ATI for "bad" drivers, when in my experience, the drivers have been fantastic.

Overall, I've had far better experiences with my current ATI card (and its drivers) than any of the four Nvidia GeForce cards I previously owned.

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE RE-STICKIED AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM, ASAP! PLEASE!

KOTOR (I and II) have serious issues with ATI graphic card chipsets and there is a lot of valuable information in here for ATI owners who want their game to be at least playable in its current form, patched or not.

Good call, thought the thread was gone for good.

My set up is as follows:

ASUS a7N8X Deluxe

AMD2600+

ATI 9800

1 Gig of RAM

I had frequent shut downs and then found this thread. The vertex addition to the KOTOR2.ini file fixed the entire issue so far. Why the KOTOR patch can not simply find out that an ATI card is in use and simply add this line into the .ini file is beyond me....

My set up is as follows:

ASUS a7N8X Deluxe

AMD2600+

ATI 9800

1 Gig of RAM

I had frequent shut downs and then found this thread. The vertex addition to the KOTOR2.ini file fixed the entire issue so far. Why the KOTOR patch can not simply find out that an ATI card is in use and simply add this line into the .ini file is beyond me....

Because it is no general problem and does work with some driver/card combinations, albeit less than KOTOR1: the drivers that worked best with KOTOR1 crash the game after movies in KOTOR2. The changes Obsidian made to the game engine clearly didn't help stability any.

Why the KOTOR patch can not simply find out that an ATI card is in use and simply add this line into the .ini file is beyond me....

Because this engine is outdated to be blunt.

I personally like it because it is not a mouse/button clicking fest like some RPGs and allows some strategic thinking during combat with the pause/real time elements... But technically and asthetictically, this engine is five years old (Bioware was developing it as early as 2000) and gaming tech has moved past it in a lot of ways.

What I would like is a modern, D3D (not OGL) engine that has all the latest stuff like Pixel Shader 3.0, bumapping, specular lighting, etc, etc... But still has the core feel of the KOTOR games and that being the pause/real time combat system, equipping PC and paty members, and everything else that goes on underneath.

• 8 months later...

I have a quick question I hope someone can help me with....I intalled 4.11 and the game looks great...however I've had several crashes with the ATIOGLXX.dll error. I searched my computer and found four ATIOGLXX.dll files in my computer. Is it OK if I delete the old ones and keep the one associated with the 4.11 driver. I have a feeling this is what is causing the problem. The computer looks for the Open gl driver and and uses the wrong one.

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/

I have a quick question I hope someone can help me with....I intalled 4.11 and the game looks great...however I've had several crashes with the ATIOGLXX.dll error.  I searched my computer and found four ATIOGLXX.dll files in my computer.  Is it OK if I delete the old ones and keep the one associated with the 4.11 driver.  I have a feeling this is what is causing the problem.  The computer looks for the Open gl driver and and uses the wrong one.

I don't mean to bump my own reply but does anyone know if I can get rid of the other ATIOGLXX.DLL files on my computer. Thanks

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/