ATI video cards with KotOR2

why don't you ATI guys try the new ATI 5.2 drivers?

http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html

The new drivers still have the same problems with K1 that all drivers since 4.12 have had (lag in open areas). Don't have K2 yet, but that would suggest that not much has changed in the new driver with regard to the KoTOR engine :)

I'm gonna try a 4.7 drop in the Kotor2 directory and see how that works, I'll post a reply in a bit. I'm starting to see slowdowns on Peragus.

edit: 4.7's are faster but cause massive instability in the engine, same with 4.8-4.10's. 4.11- 4.12's are okay and so are 5.1's. I haven't tried 5.2's yet.

This is the 'real' big thing, if the game is crashing for no reason. It's the video drivers. Anything lower then 4.11's seem to cause massive crashes, lockup's and black screens.

Anyone tried 4.1's and 4.2's, just out of interest, because they ran KotOR better than any other Catalysts, according to the thread on Bioware's self help forum for the first game.

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

The Omega drivers based on ATI 5.1 do not work. I really, really would appreciate a patch for this myself. I'm sure I speak for many users when I say that I'm not downgrading a driver merely because one of my games doesn't work for it, when I have seen dramatic improvement through this driver in many of my games. (I've gotten at least a 10-20 fps boost in HL2).

Quite a shame.

I will, however, try the official ATI 5.2s. Cheers.

Anyone tried 4.1's and 4.2's, just out of interest, because they ran KotOR better than any other Catalysts, according to the thread on Bioware's self help forum for the first game.

I am running the 4.2 and it looks up right after the first movie. I am getting ready to install the 5.2 drivers now.

OK, I uninstalled by old drivers the 4.2 and installed the 4.11 drivers with success! KOTOR 2 now no longer hangs up after the first movie.

I am having the same problems, though I am only running a Radeon 7500.

I'm not sure I am installing the drivers correctly. Could someone please post a brief walkthrough on uninstalling current in-use drivers, installing the new driver (4.11 in this case), and making sure the card is running with that driver.

Sorry for the noobish questions, thanks for your time. o:)

I am having the same problems, though I am only running a Radeon 7500.

I'm not sure I am installing the drivers correctly. Could someone please post a brief walkthrough on uninstalling current in-use drivers, installing the new driver (4.11 in this case), and making sure the card is running with that driver.

Sorry for the noobish questions, thanks for your time. o:)

Go to ATI Website and download their 4.11 Drivers

Here is the link for WINDOWS XP

http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeon...ousdrivers.html

Go to the add/remove section (Start - Control Panel - Add/Remove)

and get rid of all the old drivers - anything with ATI in the name

You could also run Driver Cleaner just to be safe - here is the link

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

But it is probably not necessary

Restart your computer

Run the download from the ATI Website which will install the drivers

If you run into some problems try this website

www.anandtech.com - Check out the forums for Graphic Drivers

Restart your computer one last time

Hope it helps

One of the problems is that 4.12 catylysts introduced a shader problem in KOTOR1 that dropped frame rated in open areas to a frame every 2-3 seconds. According to reports, this also happens in K2. (I can't confirm, I get K2 today.) If this does happen to you, use the 4.11's.

THe random crashes and character movement problems seem to occur in most setups, NVIDIA or ATI. I pray there is a patch to this.

Well I've been experimenting with both KOTORs. On 4.2 we ATI users get the full range of effects inc Light bloom. This is missing in later versions. However, with 4.2, the game hangs after movies (not in game cutscenes). Later drivers don't offer that much of a performance increase over the latest for no. 2 (they do for one) but with the later drivers on both ames the light bloom effect is missing.

I think theres a link here showing bloom effect missing on the sabers but its not very profound here, when the effect is in the game during play you will notice a difference. (Its in Stoffe's post)

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html...=nvidia%20bloom

Whats really needed is Obsidian to contact ATI requesting the next catalysts to enable the full range of effects again for KOTOR 1 and 2 and sort out the performance issues. Its NOT the game that has the trouble it is the catalyst drivers.

I've mailed ATI telling them of these problems so they hopefully will take note - everyone else with problems should mail them too, so something is done.

I have a 9800 Pro, and it was locking up constantly with both the 5.1 and 5.2 Catalyst drivers. As suggested, I went back to the 4.11 version, and I haven't had a problem since. :lol:

Thanks to everyone that found this solution. I hope that a future Catalyst driver fixes this issue, so I will stay tuned.

So do the 4.11 drivers work?

While it does seem to be a successful workaround for some, it's by no means a universal fix. So far Cat 4.11, Cat 5.2, Omega 4.1, Omega 5.1 have all failed to remove the BSOD for me. I've now resigned myself to waiting for a patch or possibly, the Omega 5.2s will sort it out when they are released.

To be honest, I don't think having to change back and forth between two different driver sets is a very useful solution at any rate. My system is not used excusively for KOTOR and the Omega drivers have resulted in vast improvments in all other games I've played. It'd be a shame to have to go back to the buggy Cats, and screw up everything else on the HD.

Two ways: reinstall the new driver directly over the previous and overwrite all the files.

The recommended one is to uninstall the previous driver, reboot, and then install the new one. I doubt this will change many things to the issues encoutered.

note:

If you're experiencing problems with AA, you must manually configure your settings in the Catalyst control panel instead of letting the game handle it.

edit: although I do not have K2 yet, the 4.9 Catalyst drivers work excellently with older series cards.

IMPORTANT:

Can anyone confirm compatibility using DNA drivers?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Got K2 now- Latest rapport on 9700

4.9 drivers - does work but glitch in facial polygons(face has black line running verticly across it

5.2 drivers - works but severe glitches in facial polygons(cheeks missing etc.)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

best to repeat this again:

ATTENTION: The best working driver is Catalyst 4.11

it is if Im not mistaken the driver that was used to bugfix K2 during development.