Waste of my money.

The bugs had me very upset and frustrated. The sloppy dialogue/continuity errors, broken skills, glitchy and half-finished quests, and general poor performance of the engine. Need I mention the ending?

That being said, I beat the game more than twice, and it definitely has it's moments. I don't feel ripped off so much as saddened by how good the game COULD HAVE been with more effort and polish. I think I got my money's worth in playtime if nothing else.

No not a waste of money at all. I think the pros do outweigh the cons in this game though I truly have yet to play through it completely as I'm a PC owner not XBox.

I loved the original a lot, I think many if not most of its best qualities are present here. And I definately am convinced Avellone knows how to write a good story. Loved the dark atmosphere, loved Nihilis, the twists are cool, robes, saber forms, influence.

On the bad side well the response from Lucasarts on the XBox bugs is hugely disappointing, I expected much better from them. The broken quests and skills, crashes and lock ups are really my main gripe with the game. Now I also am very disappointed about no npc party subquests, Nihilis' actual role ingame, the less than climactic ending, the fact that the character is also left in level 25-29 also is hugely upsetting when they leave the ending open in cliffhanger since you virtually can't use that character again in the next game because he/she's too powerful. There is also no way they can make an expansion to finish the ending since the XBox can't get it also and the XBoxers would scream bloody murder at the top of their lungs. So basically all rests on KotOR 3, and since the PC has a good chance of being different that is very sad.

While I also my be very vocal about all of my disappointments with this game I also recognize that as a whole (Should there be no bugs in the PC version) I would generally like it very very much. So I think it might be worth the purchase in its totallity.

My two cents.

But you know what?  I'm starting to believe that had i never played K1 and only played K2, I'd probably be raving about this game, being kinda new to the whole RPG thing.  I would have nothing to compare it to.

For me, K1 was my first experience with RPGs.  Now, every single RPG I ever play again will undoubtedly be compared to that.  Kind of s****y, but that's what happens when you deliver such an awesome game as K1 was.

LOL, thats "kinda " the position im in Jebus :)

Im a OLD OLD OLD school RPG player (dating way way back to the initial release of computers).

Back then, as graphics were stick men (and later EGA), Computer RPGs were forced to have storylines that were intensive as they couldnt WOW the players with top of the line graphics and such.

So for the last decade or so I been really disappointed in cRPGs as they relied way to much on graphics engines/multiplayer ability and such rather then indepth, well written storylines.

The KotOR franchise really is a step backwards into those style of games where the content is more important then the bells and whistles.

Prior to KotOR1 the best RPGs I had played would be the old SSI Gold Box games (or Wizardry, Might and Magic). Players today probably couldnt even finish one of those games as they were EGA graphics and no where even close to todays minimum standard for graphics and such but their storylines were awsome and well written.

heh, took 10+ years but finally there is 2 games that live up to the standards of days gone by now :)

Totally agree with yas about Halo. It also kinda proves my point as well about todays gamers. I played the first 3 sections of Halo before stopping from shear bordom. In Halo, the storyline does NOTHING for the game, its totally and completely optional as you literally have to go from point A to Point B to point C. You dont have to make and choices. Heck you dont even have to read the storyline as you can NOT swerve away from the path set out for you. Storyline is just there as a back drop for you, nothing else.

As I said, I did the first 3 stages (just because Halo came with XBox when I purchased it and was bored with no games to play) and was just bored. Other then the sniper rifle (which I loved and would like to see in other games to be honest) the game was all about the bells and whistles. All flash and bang, no meat to it tho. I dont understand the appeal of the game either to be honest. Still tho, Halo is like the best game ever created compared to Republic Commando.

Its wierd tho, after reading most of the complaints of these boards regarding KotOR2 (and 1 really which also got a fair share of complaints if you being honest, most folks just have selective memories) it seems to me that todays gamers are programmed to not think during games anymore. Most complaints (and this is STRICTLY personal opinion, not fact) seem to stem from 1) I had to make my own choice rather then be told exactly what to do 2) I couldnt kill everyone in my way and not be punished, and 3) I ran into trouble when using exploints and altering my game.

As I siad, just my opinion in general but most bug complaints Ive read stem from those areas or something similar. I played KotOR1 and 2 legitly from disk, didnt mod my box or use any exploits and only ran into 2 or 3 bugs the entire game in 8 play throughs. As a long time MMORPG player, 2 or 3 bugs makes a game almost perfect in todays world of computer games standards.

I may never have played any of those old games, i don't think i was old enough to remember those days.

The last i remember was with my very old 486 DX2 66Mhz, with only Dos 6.22, i played Colonization and Reunion (both classics and the best empire building/Space Exploration) (Colonization = Empire Building) (Reunion = Space Exploration, very good for its time, no other game has come close to it)

I love space exploration games more then RPGs, but i love RPGs too, but Atari really ruined Master of Orion III, so i stick to the old Master of Orion II. (graphics are VERY crap now-a-days, but, the gameplay rules and its fun.)

But the AI needs work, even today, they can't make a decent AI, they can either make it so it breaks the rules to gain an advantage or they make it soooo easy that it gets boring easy.

Homeworld 2 springs to mind about 'breaking the rules' the AI seems to know, where you are, how many ships you have and what type of ships you have and at the end of each mission, it calculates how many ships you have at the rate of how much credits you would get if you recycled them and multiplies it with your cash and then triples or Quadtruples it and then spawns a fleet of ships that counter your ships and as that spawned fleet is virutally and quickly wiping out your ships, the AI is building more. (which is obviously WAY over the limits the player is limited to)

A Good AI is when even though they are limited to what you can have, they are still a challenge. (that in my mind is what a good AI is, but so far, no games that i know of have AI like that)

So, Homeworld 2 was a waste of my money. lol

Kotor I wasn't and i am sure that Kotor II won't be a waste of money either.

And I definately am convinced Avellone knows how to write a good story.

Where as it is clear that Mike Gallo does not know his head from his A*R*S*E hole!

There is also no way they can make an expansion to finish the ending since the XBox can't get it also and the XBoxers would scream bloody murder at the top of their lungs.

This is why they are always give them the game first. Imagine if we got the game first in Europe, there would be rioting teenagers all throughout the US!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I may never have played any of those old games, i don't think i was old enough to remember those days.

The last i remember was with my very old 486 DX2 66Mhz, with only Dos 6.22, i played Colonization and Reunion (both classics and the best empire building/Space Exploration) (Colonization = Empire Building) (Reunion = Space Exploration, very good for its time, no other game has come close to it)

I love space exploration games more then RPGs, but i love RPGs too, but Atari really ruined Master of Orion III, so i stick to the old Master of Orion II. (graphics are VERY crap now-a-days, but, the gameplay rules and its fun.)

But the AI needs work, even today, they can't make a decent AI, they can either make it so it breaks the rules to gain an advantage or they make it soooo easy that it gets boring easy.

Homeworld 2 springs to mind about 'breaking the rules' the AI seems to know, where you are, how many ships you have and what type of ships you have and at the end of each mission, it calculates how many ships you have at the rate of how much credits you would get if you recycled them and multiplies it with your cash and then triples or Quadtruples it and then spawns a fleet of ships that counter your ships and as that spawned fleet is virutally and quickly wiping out your ships, the AI is building more. (which is obviously WAY over the limits the player is limited to)

A Good AI is when even though they are limited to what you can have, they are still a challenge. (that in my mind is what a good AI is, but so far, no games that i know of have AI like that)

LOL, aye!

MOO 3 was a terrible let down. Sadly I cant really play MOO2 anymore tho as its really limited (for me) on replay value to be honest.

heh, before KotOR1 I actually prefered my RPGs to be Fantasy based rather then Sci Fi (just because Sci Fi stuff had always been done so poorly for RPGs). But I think thats just because Star Wars realy does transfer well to RPGs (even tho Lucas (before KotOR) and Sony (SWG) have failed miserably in the past doing RPGs in SW universe). Always liked my Sci Fi stuff to be turn based stratagy games.

If yas interested in that style check out any of the Civ games.

Yeah well of course we all want commando, seeing as how well star wars shooters have gone in the past. *snorts with mirth then rofl*

IMO the only good SW games ever are KOTOR, KOTOR II and Battlefront, (to a lesser extent)

LOL, aye!

MOO 3 was a terrible let down. Sadly I cant really play MOO2 anymore tho as its really limited (for me) on replay value to be honest.

heh, before KotOR1 I actually prefered my RPGs to be Fantasy based rather then Sci Fi (just because Sci Fi stuff had always been done so poorly for RPGs). But I think thats just because Star Wars realy does transfer well to RPGs (even tho Lucas (before KotOR) and Sony (SWG) have failed miserably in the past doing RPGs in SW universe). Always liked my Sci Fi stuff to be turn based stratagy games.

If yas interested in that style check out any of the Civ games.

I have tried the Civ games, but Civ III's AI is just as bad. (instantly aggressive the second you meet them, the only way for them to like you is be extremely more advanced and/or richer...the same goes with Imperium Galactica 2. (they attack the instant you meet and they only jump for peace when you have a unloseable advantage over them.)

Back closer to the topic, I can't comment on KotOR II yet, though I'm looking very much forward to the PC version being less buggy than the Xbox one... :D

But I will say this: I downloaded the demo for Republic Commando tonight, and played it through, The more I look, the more that game gets put on my 'must get' list. Cooler than I ever thought it would be :)

aye Jamie,

That is annoying in Civ 3.

However, I did have some success at the 5th hardest difficult rating setting with diplomacy. Was a really hard game tho (I literally barely squeaked out a victory and never been able to since). I definately know what yas mean tho.

Ive yet to find a stratagy game were diplomacy works 100% the way it should. I tend to think its more a option when doing multiplayer games to be honest.

Im a OLD OLD OLD school RPG player (dating way way back to the initial release of computers).

Back then, as graphics were stick men (and later EGA), Computer RPGs were forced to have storylines that were intensive as they couldnt WOW the players with top of the line graphics and such.

I appreciated your post, Kalfear. I too come from the old days of crpgs, having spent way too many hours in the Mad Overlord's proving grounds, and then later on scouring the forests with Iolo hacking at zombies. I mean in those days, some of the best crpgs simply used stick or line drawings, and we ran through endless 1st person green stick box mazes with text scrolling across half the screen telling us what was happening. Heck, you needed a 5" floppy drive to even install them.

When I think of those days, with the wizardry, ultima, and (*gulp*) king's quest series - and it is with great fondness that I do - I'm truly amazed at how far things have come. I imagine it's different for those who didn't experience that, or didn't get to sit in the theatre as a kid for the original Star Wars film - way before things like the sci-fi channel, or an endless stream of hollywood sci-fi films, or all of the franchise novels, etc. All that we had then was the first film, classic Trek, and a very small sci-fi fantasy shelf at the bookstore.

So to me, Kotor I & II are simply outstanding. I loved the first game very much, yet feel that TSL raised the bar and is an overall better game. And though I've read about and personally encountered many of the bugs/glitches, and understand why many feel the that ending wasn't developed enough, for me it's been an immensely enjoyable crpg experience.

I've read where some suggest that one shouldn't have to fill in the blanks, and that the game should have a more concrete storyline and ending that ties things up better and makes more sense... and there is merit to those suggestions.

Yet for those of us who grew up with crpg and pen-'n-paper games where 60% of the experience was "filling in the blanks" and using your own imagination to enhance the role-playing and make it come to life... well, I for one very much appreciate the way TSL is designed. And from reading all the different takes in the Spoiler and Storyline forums on what the ending and character storylines could possibly mean, and seeing how there are so many varying opinions and points of view being expressed in those threads, I think that the developers succeeded in one area that very few seem to recognize or even acknowledge - which is, allowing for the freedom to not only make a vast array of choices within the game, but for the player to invest their own imagination into it as well.

Was it rushed to production? Unquestionably. Yet it's my opinion that not all of the "open-ended" or "unfinished" elements in the game were accidents or caused by a lack of time. Many of them are there for a reason. It's unfortunate that the rushed elements tend to get more attention and cloud that aspect of the game.

But is it worth the money? You bet'cha.

Edit: From a certain point of view...

I appreciated your post, Kalfear. I too come from the old days of crpgs, having spent way too many hours in the Mad Overlord's proving grounds, and then later on scouring the forests with Iolo hacking at zombies. I mean in those days, some of the best crpgs simply used stick or line drawings, and we ran through endless 1st person green stick box mazes with text scrolling across half the screen telling us what was happening. Heck, you needed a 5" floppy drive to even install them.

When I think of those days, with the wizardry, ultima, and (*gulp*) king's quest series - and it is with great fondness that I do - I'm truly amazed at how far things have come. I imagine it's different for those who didn't experience that, or didn't get to sit in the theatre as a kid for the original Star Wars film - way before things like the sci-fi channel, or an endless stream of hollywood sci-fi films, or all of the franchise novels, etc. All that we had then was the first film, classic Trek, and a very small sci-fi fantasy shelf at the bookstore.

So for me, Kotor I & II are simply outstanding. And though I loved the first game, I feel that TSL raised the bar and is an overall better game. Though I've read about and encountered some of the glitches, and understand why many feel the ending wasn't enough, for me it's been an enjoyable experience. I'd read where some have suggested that one shouldn't have to fill in the blanks, and that the game should have had a more concrete storyline and ending. And there is merit to those suggestions.

Yet for people like me who grew up playing early crpg and pen-'n-paper games where 60% of the experience was "filling in the blanks" and using your own imagination to enhance the role-playing and make it come to life... well, I kinda appreciate the way TSL was designed. And from reading all the different takes in the Spoiler and Storyline forums on what the ending and character storylines could possibly mean, and seeing how there are so many varying opinions and points of view being expressed in those threads... well, I think that the developers succeeded in one area that very few seem to recognize or even acknowledge; which is, allowing the freedom for one to not only make a vast array of choices within the game, but leaving room for the player to invest their own imagination into it as well.

Was it rushed to production? Of course. But it's my opinion that not all of the "open-ended" or "unfinished" elements in the game were accidents or caused by a lack of time. Many of them are there for a reason. It's unfortunate that the rushed elements tend to get more attention and cloud that aspect of the game.

But is it worth the money? You bet'cha...

So because you're old its o.k. for the game to be marginal

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You may trvialize my response if you like... it's no matter. For some the game was marginal, for some it was a waste of time, and for others it exceeded their expectations.

And I wouldn't consider 35 as "old"... neither will you when/if you get there.

You may trvialize my response if you like... it's no matter. For some the game was marginal, for some it was a waste of time, and for others it exceeded their expectations.

heheh Akshara,

Aye, imagination seems to be lost on todays gamers. The majority seem to get upset unless its follow the dots to the end in games. Really drives me nuts when I see a game that had so much potential be dumbed down (not speaking KotOR1&2).

I used Halo in a different thread as a example, huge selling game, very very popular. For myself tho, I found the storyline so "optional" that it wasnt even needed. You could just ignore it and go mass kill things with no repercussions. Thats the best example of a game being dumbed down to meet market expectations Ive seen.

Ahhh well, hopefully KotOR franchise will continue on its current path and keep making and expanding on the storylines so it once again gets up to the older RPGs in content :)

Some will hate that every single thing isnt explained in full detail, but others (based on some great conversations found on these forums) will embrace it and let their imaginations fill in the blanks, and be the better for it over all :devil:

I'm not trivializing your answer. And by "old" I meant venerable/seasoned :)"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I liked your post, for what it's worth. I also have been playing RPGs for what seems like forever (Werdna? Trebor Sux?). People normally take the time in these kind of threads to slam a game. A balanced response is refreshing.

Take any game from the current crop of console RPGs, and you're bound to get a certain thing. There'll be a set of stereotyped characters (the brooding type, the musclebound solve-by-force, the ebullient optimist) and other standard combat types. You'll be saving the world, there'll be a cold place, a hot place, a ruins place, and probably a place in the sky somewhere. You travel in a line from beginning to end, and the "role" you play is mostly 'observer'.

KoTOR I (and II by extension) offered games that break sharply from this mold. Mostly in that they promise to make your choices matter. Though you didn't have a world of options, I think most people really got into what KoTOR I ended up delivering.

There were alot of things I liked about K2. I liked alot of the character interaction, how different characters would say different things if they were in your party at the same event. The influence/affection levels were a great concept too (they have those in other games, but they tend to impact only a couple events). The plot build on the main characters is great.. to see how the various Sith Lords, Atris, and yourself will square things by the end was something I really cared about as I played. Playing just in this order: Peragus, Citadel, Nar Shaddaa... you would be horribly impressed with the detail put into various locations. There appear to be more sidequests, and things to do.

The bad parts end up tarnishing alot of it though. The obvious part is the bugs and lack of polish. How many console games (not PC) can you name that were released with this many outstanding bugs, glitches, hanging quests, and general issues? I can't think of one.

While the character interaction was fun, it deadends early. You can resolve your relationship to it's "max" within minutes of getting a character with several of the NPCs. Plus, having said influence ends up having very little effect on the gameplay.. it only effects options within their own little dialogue tree. If I max influence or have bottomed influence, it won't impact how an NPC treats me later on. (there's the taking an apprentice business, but even if you turn someone to the darkside, they still favor good?).

The plot withers and dies towards the end. Virtually no sideplots are really resolved, and you don't really see any of your groupmates after the last planet. The ending leaves something to be desired, but most people say that I suppose. Several planets were lacking in detail to an extreme degree (part of the sales pitch was X number of planets to explore), but areas like Korriban and Dantooine seemed to be really lacking (imo). The difficulty is skewed to the easy side of easy. Even on hard, there's nothing in the game that's particularly difficult or requires strategy. Changes like having all Jedi have the same attack modifier also severely messed up class balance.

The game isn't a waste of money or marginal, but it definitely falls short of it's potential. For a game that could've been so much, what we were given was extremely disappointing. That's what I think gets people

Not much love for the FPS genre here I see.

Yes, they're linear as all hell, but, well, some of the best times I've ever had in gaming were with the Halos. There's just something about clubbing a fleeing grunt in the back of the head with a shotgun that makes all of life's problems just dissapear :devil: .

Republic Commando, from what I've read, and seen, is looking to be a definitive example of it's particular genre. Not to mention your a badass commando equipped with a nifty little gauntlet knife for pruning those pesky trandoshans.

On topic...I haven't played TSL yet, as I don't own an X-Box, but I'm for damn sure gonna buy it. K1 was a rewarding experience, as I'm sure its sequel will be, lacking ending or not (*cough* Halo 2=Crap ending, but I still love it :) )

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yet for those of us who grew up with crpg and pen-'n-paper games where 60% of the experience was "filling in the blanks" and using your own imagination to enhance the role-playing and make it come to life... well, I for one very much appreciate the way TSL is designed. And from reading all the different takes in the Spoiler and Storyline forums on what the ending and character storylines could possibly mean, and seeing how there are so many varying opinions and points of view being expressed in those threads, I think that the developers succeeded in one area that very few seem to recognize or even acknowledge - which is, allowing for the freedom to not only make a vast array of choices within the game, but for the player to invest their own imagination into it as well.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm 29 8) So, I'm sure I'm old by the standard of these boards, too.

But I just wanted to highlight what you said there because I thought it was so well-written and really drives the point home well. As I've said in other threads K1 was my first rpg experience and prompted me to go back and play BG, Icewind Dale, NWN, Morrowind, and Fable. And now, because of K1, I only really play RPGs now. Though I'm also a big fan of the Madden franchise as well.

But the technique of having to use your imagination while playing is not only old school, but apart of the creative process in general. That's something that goes back to my childhood when I used to play Star Wars with my buddies in the backyard. Running around trying to save the galaxy from the evil empire. Or playing in whatever fantasy world we made up. We would just play for hours upon hours doing stuff like that.

That's why I appreciated K1 so much. It like, took me back to a place where you just have fun with the experience of imagination. It was like you were shaping the way all things unfolded, and you were faced with moral decisions and consequences every step of the way. K2 took it a step further.

But to me, it just lacked something. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game very much, and have played through it multiple times, but it just seemed to miss the mark a little.

But, I really liked what you and Kal had to say. In fact, I've heard that the RPGs from yesteryear were hard as hell to finish and some of them had no quick fixes whatsoever. You really had to truly play through it to find out information or clues to complete a quest. And then you might not even find out that the quest was what you thought it was. And some of those quests would last for weeks.

Now, THAT'S what I want to get into. :wub: So, for me, the standard as been set.

(w00t)

I consider 35 as "young".

8)

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Well, i tried the demo and i was rather insulted they would call that pile trash a Starwars game....it looked decent, but there was hardly any ragdoll which is a requirement in any game now-a-days, so it instantly get a crap rating by me.

Wow I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this about Kotor II? :ermm:

Well, i tried the demo and i was rather insulted they would call that pile trash a Starwars game....it looked decent, but there was hardly any ragdoll which is a requirement in any game now-a-days, so it instantly get a crap rating by me.

Wow I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this about Kotor II? :ermm:

Naaa he/she speaking about Republic Commando Brann.

RP demo was included in the KotOR2 xbox disk.