Planescape

froomite

Planescape is the best game ever! I have never played a game that (A) had dialogue that was actually interesting to read... well actually Baldur's gate was pretty good (Minsc) and (B) had an original and interesting game world.. Anyways, what was the ending all about? Is he supposed to be wandering in the Abyss for ever or something?

[raises an eyebrow]Ummm ... yes, I think you got it: wandering the abyss forever. Actually, it's not any abyss, it's the Blood War, but being forced to participate in the Blood War forever is very similar to being condemned to ... Hell.

And I've never met anyone before who said Minsc's dialogue was good reading.

Is he supposed to be wandering in the Abyss for ever or something?

Essentially that's exactly it. As Green Knight points out, The Nameless One is condemned to fight in the Blood War which is a nice equivalent to burning in Hell.

As you find out in the game, TNO has been running from his fate, knowing full well that if he dies, he will have to fight in the Blood War, and nobody really wants to do that. He's been trying for lifetimes to escape this fate, but eventually realises there is no escape and ultimately comes to face the reality and stop running.

newlogo.gif

well actually Baldur's gate was pretty good (Minsc)

That just destroyed all of your credibility.

Yes, because as everyone knows; if your taste differs from Mr. Numberman's here.. you have no credibility.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

well actually Baldur's gate was pretty good (Minsc)

That just destroyed all of your credibility.

Yes, because as everyone knows; if your taste differs from Mr. Numberman's here.. you have no credibility.

Damn straight. It took you less posts to realize that than it does for most people. You must be a quick study or something.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's not a question of taste ... everybody is free to like Minsc, or to dislike him ... it is just that I have never met anyone before who would have said that it was interesting to read Minsc's dialogue.

Very unusual.

But, fortunately for all of us, Planescape: Torment was a very unusual game, too.

And I'm very happy that Minsc was not in it. ;)

Sheez.  The effusive praise this overrated game gets baffles me. 

Let it be known -- plenty of "intelligent" gamers do not think Planescape is the best thing since  sliced bread.  I can think of 15 other games I'd rather play instead.

Hey to each his own. Some people prefer story driven games with lots of interaction between the PC and the world. Some people like running and gunning and others like playing sports games and yet others prefer the thrill of a real time strategy game.

No one was implying that people who prefer other types of games are unintelligent.

Though sometimes we are over-zealous in our praise, but that goes for anyone who has had a particularly cool experience with a game.

Let it be known -- plenty of "intelligent" gamers do not think Planescape is the best thing since  sliced bread.  I can think of 15 other games I'd rather play instead.

You clearly do not have the intellectual skills required to appreciate a game ps Planescape Torments caliber.

You clearly do not have the intellectual skills required to appreciate a game ps Planescape Torments caliber.

Huh! Calm down, roshan ... :cool:

Well.. Minsc is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting npc's ever.

Boo is unique. Boo is the most unusal Npc ever - in fact, Boo is even more unusal than, let's say, Morte. But Minsc? He gets on my nerves, but that is my personal problem ...

What do you find "interesting" about Minsc, apart from his fancy make-up? Or, not to get too far off-topic, and as this thread seems to be a Planescape: Torment thread, why would you think Minsc was more interesting than Vhailor or Dakkon?

See, this proves my point. Its perfectly possible to understand everything about Torment, and still not care for the setting, characters, or tone of the game.

OK, so for some its the greatest. But I dont't think it should keep getting held up as this "Gold Standard" for CRPG games when other games did SO MUCH MORE RIGHT THAN JUST THE STORY.

But I dont't think it should keep getting held up as this "Gold Standard" for CRPG games when other games did SO MUCH MORE RIGHT THAN JUST THE STORY.

Well ... given that roleplaying mostly means re-playing a good story, and given that the story of Planescape: Torment was pretty impressive, I daresay that there are not many other RPG computer games who would meet the standards set by PS: T. Maybe Fallout 2 or some of the Monkey Islands titles, if these can be considered roleplaying games ...

KotOR was pretty good, too, and had (of course) better graphics than PS: T. But have we ever seen CRPG romances as beautiful and bitter-sweet than the one

between The Nameless One and Annah

in PS: T?

But then, I have not played KotOR II yet.

See, this proves my point. Its perfectly possible to understand everything about Torment, and still not care for the setting, characters, or tone of the game.

OK, so for some its the greatest. But I dont't think it should keep getting held up as this "Gold Standard" for CRPG games when other games did SO MUCH MORE RIGHT THAN JUST THE STORY.

People like to see older games through rose-coloured glasses, and PS:T wins the rose coloured contest on these forums.

People like to see older games through rose-coloured glasses, and PS:T wins the rose coloured contest on these forums.

I admit that's true ... we're very sentimental with PS: T here. Although I'd be curious to learn which other (maybe newer) games others would prefer over PS: T. I mean ... I've been playing PS: T for years and years now ... what else could I play? Any suggestions?

OK, so for some its the greatest.  But I dont't think it should keep getting held up as this "Gold Standard" for CRPG games when other games did SO MUCH MORE RIGHT THAN JUST THE STORY.

I very quickly saw through the devices and shortcuts PST uses to work. Never enjoyed it found the whole thing rather boring and obvious.

As a gold standard for CRPGs well PST is a joke unless you want every CRPG to have a pre generated amnesiac as the protagonist.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As a gold standard for CRPGs well PST is a joke unless you want every CRPG to have a pre generated amnesiac as the protagonist.

Oh, I would not want this ... but ... now that you mention it: most CRPGs have you starting as an amnesiac. That, or you start as the village farmboy who's sister gets abducted by the same sinister orcs that have just burnt down your village while you were out in the fields. But then, you will also discover that you are not a farmboy, but, in reality, the son of the gods ...

Okay. Roleplaying as such is a bit stupid.

I very quickly saw through the devices and shortcuts PST uses to work. Never enjoyed it found the whole thing rather boring and obvious.

Shortcuts? What shortcuts?

Oh, I would not want this ... but ... now that you mention it: most CRPGs have you starting as an amnesiac.  That, or you start as the village farmboy who's sister gets abducted by the same sinister orcs that have just burnt down your village while you were out in the fields. But then, you will also discover that you are not a farmboy, but, in reality, the son of the gods ...

Ah, yes... the eternal problem of how to make things personal for the PC without pre-determining the character.

I thought Bio handled this fairly well in HotU. Sure, you're The Chosen One, but that's because the whole thing's a set-up.

OK, so for some its the greatest.  But I dont't think it should keep getting held up as this "Gold Standard" for CRPG games when other games did SO MUCH MORE RIGHT THAN JUST THE STORY.

...ShadowP'd rather play waterpolo in the middle o' his games...PS:T had no waterpolo...FFX did... <_<

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Green Knight asked about other games to play rather than PS:T. That's the problem I'm having. It seems there are no developers out there making games with a great story other than Obsidian and Bioware. We had Fallout and PS:T, we had BG and IWD, then we had KOTOR. But now what?

Fable could have been soooo much more. Ninja Gaiden was (for me) the perfect game, except that the story sucked. I remember liking Prince of Persia:Sands of Time (haven't played Warrior Within yet), but it wasn't quite there.

So what can we do but hold the stories built by the people at Bioware and Obsidian as the gold standard? What else is there?