seal of evil and prince of qin

roshan

Never heard of them.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Ive heard of Prince of Qin but Ive never talked to anyone who has actually played it. Usually that isnt a sign of quality for a game as the good ones get round even without hype from magazines

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've heard they're similar to Baldur's Gate but with lower levels of freedom, character customisation and dialogue options.

The settings are apprently very nicely done. But I can't comment on them from personal experience. Apparently I won a contest over at RPGDot for a copy of Seal Of Evil, but that never materialised.

newlogo.gif

I played the Prince of Qin demo but it took forever for the game to get released over here and I lost track of it.

Wasnt bad as a recall. Cross between BG and Diablo wrapped up in chinese clothing.

Here are the blurbs anyway.

Prince of Qin

The game balances team-fighting (you can recruit up to 5 heroes to join your team) with various strategies and tactics and you will be challenged by many enemies in more than 100 unique scenes accurately depicting society and architecture as it existed at the time. The game's novel features include the design of the multi-scenario and multi-ending systems, the randomly created weapons, items and enemies, an equipment creating system and the sophisticated fighting system rooted in the ancient philosophy of the Five Elements. The Great Wall of China and the Terracotta Warriors Tomb are some of the world-renowned locations the game highlights.

In Prince of Qin Gold you play as Prince Fu Su, the First Qin Emperor's eldest son and the Crown Prince of Qin. According to historical records, Fu Su committed suicide in obedience to a supposed imperial edict. However, in Prince of Qin Gold Fu Su does not die but lives and seeks to find out the truth behind the decree. Once he discovers the truth he launches himself on a mission for revenge against those who have betrayed him and to claim his birthright as the Emperor of Qin.

Features:

Multiplayer support for up to 500 gamers on a dedicated server and up to 20 gamers on a LAN or over the internet

Over 100 different locations including 28 cities, 18 counties, and 78 country fields. This does not include building interiors at these locations

Different endings evolve depending on player's actions during the game

Choose to play from one of five basic character types ranging from Paladin to Wizard

Game content inspired by the actual art and history from the period of the game

Interact with over 70 different NPC's in stores, palaces, mansions and inns

Magic based on the five elements Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth.

Players can combine raw materials to make new weapons

Weapons feature the ability to be damaged and repaired

Seal of Evil

The Seal of Evil story is set in the twilight years of the Warring States period of Chinese history (476 - 206 BC). This turbulent time marks the disintegration of the longest lived of all imperial dynasties, the Zhou. Out of the strife and chaos emerges a nobleman possessed of an indomitable spirit and an uncompromising vision of the future: Ying Zheng, ruler of the Qin state. He will stop at nothing to reunite the disparate Chinese kingdoms. Combining ancient legends and mythic storytelling with historical fact, Seal of Evil sets the stage for an epic adventure wherein the players struggle to thwart the Qin invasion of their peaceful homeland, East Baiyue. Ferocious beasts, merciless enemy soldiers, wicked bandits, and terrifying supernatural foes are hazards they must face in order to achieve this goal. There is still hope for them, however, for along the way they will also make many friends and acquire powerful weapons and equipment. And armed with mighty elemental magic, they may yet come face to face with the very Gods themselves...

Through the judicious use of elemental magic, a character can improve attributes, skills, equipment, weapons, create magic items, and even solve puzzles in the game. The Five Elements system makes Seal of Evil a dynamic and surprising game.

FEATURES

Refined Graphics

Seal of Evil relies upon Object Software's newly developed GFX3D engine, which blends 2D and 3D imaging techniques to deliver stunning in-game graphics. There are hundreds of fully rendered regions to explore, such as the idyllic and often mysterious villages of East Baiyue, the magnificent and dangerous cities of the Central Plains, ancient palaces, cloud-capped mountains, and other locales too numerous to name. Each environment is unique and rich in detail. The 3D rendering engine's special effects capabilities further enhance them, allowing players to take full advantage of their computer hardware's graphic potential.

Advanced Item Creation

Seal of Evil introduces an advanced item creation system that allows players to make equipment using a wide variety of methods. Each one relies on different materials and elemental attributes, and may be learned through persistent exploration and investigation. Raw materials for item creation can be harvested or found in the wild, bought and traded from merchants or commoners, or taken from enemies slain in combat. A character's equipment can be upgraded by means of the item creation system as well. This grants enhanced abilities, bonuses, protection, and spell casting above and beyond the gear's innate attributes. Other items, such as medicines and cut gems, can also be created.

Balanced Skill System

Skills add an entirely new dimension to combat and adventuring. The five heroes each have unique skills that apply strictly to their chosen professions. In addition to normal skill advancement through the accumulation of experience, skills can be improved with elemental attributes or with enhanced weapons and equipment. There are many ways to learn new skills in Seal of Evil, such as by finding a rare scroll in a secret cave, or from the unassuming old man in the street who is in truth a master of kung fu.

Multiple Endings

The Seal of Evil story has multiple possible endings. The one the players discover is determined by their choices and actions while performing certain quests. Conversations with NPCs (non-player characters) also have an effect on the outcome; different conversations can tip the balance from one ending to another. To assist the players along the way, the game system generates a Quest and Travel log to record significant events and conversations. Performing all available quests can potentially lengthen game play by as much as 30%.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've played Prince of Qin, and it's a good game. Perhaps a little bit simplistic. The character development is quite good, but it didn't feel as my choices affected the game much, since NPC's are very one-dimensional and the quests seemd to be solvable in only one way. But there are lots of very detailed and nice maps, lots of 1337 l00t, good chinese atmosphere and interesting side-quests. The game can also be quite difficult at times, so if you enjoy a challenge, give it a go.

I have not played Seal of Evil though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have written a review of Seal of Evil yesterday at the RPG Codex, it'll answer your questions:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=116

It's a good game, IMO.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche