Gamespy PC preview

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

well as the reviewer says, he hopes that the bugs are fixed when the game ships in 2 weeks or so. (UK current Release date)

But it sounds more and more fun and it is driving me insane waiting for it.

But i find it rather bad for MS to ask for the X-box to be released far earlier then it was meant to be just to increase their profit margin....but thats my opinion.

nice read.

While the game has been fun to play, there have been some bugs and glitches in play. The build I have is about 98 percent complete, but the game has crashed a few times and there are certain gameplay aspects that do leave me scratching my head. For instance, there are times where your party does not follow you, even when you are not in solo mode.

i had similar problems with kotor 1, so this doesn't sound too bad.

And like the original, the story begins with you having no memory of who you are or what your past is.

did he even play the game????

There is no memory wipe in this game!!!!

very true but he could also be meaning that you (the player) has no idea who the exile is at the start of the game.... though I am willing to bet s/he didn't pay that close of attention to the game if they worded it like that.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Yeah, it was more of a poor choice of words. The character is hazy when he comes to on Peragus and remembers little of what happened leading up to his being there. I reworded it to reflect that. But I also find it interesting that the player "creates" his character with no knowledge of the past. Interesting way to create a backstory.

As for no screens, I have a habit of playing through, then taking screens later. However, LucasArts has to approve them and I couldn't post what I had without approval. Waiting on approval now.

And finally, I just received the boxed copy of the game. Will be interesting to see if the glitches have been fixed. The game really is a lot of fun.

Yeah, it was more of a poor choice of words. The character is hazy when he comes to on Peragus and remembers little of what happened leading up to his being there. I reworded it to reflect that. But I also find it interesting that the player "creates" his character with no knowledge of the past. Interesting way to create a backstory.

As for no screens, I have a habit of playing through, then taking screens later. However, LucasArts has to approve them and I couldn't post what I had without approval. Waiting on approval now.

And finally, I just received the boxed copy of the game. Will be interesting to see if the glitches have been fixed. The game really is a lot of fun.

i take it you're the gamspy dude then...?

when can we expect a full review?

That's me.

Our review goes up Friday afternoon around 6 p.m. Pacific time. We have the first review of the game. Others are embargoed until next week.

Make sure it's very in-dept and atleast four pages long ;)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You know, it says in that review that you describe your old lost lightsaber and eventually encounter it later. Does that mean that you can get your old lightsaber back?

I think what that refers to is that

when Atris shows it to you and says that you can't have it because you're a Jedi. You only see it but never get it back.

I hope most of them are fixed. Bugs and glitches were one of the main reasons why some sites didn't give KotOR II (XBox) the highest rewards.

In KotOR 1 several times I had to check out where the rest of my group is (especially on Manaan) and why do they just keep standing while I'm fighting... However, it was only a minor disadvantage. :blink: It's impossible to make a perfect game with no bugs and glitches.

WarriorGSI,

Thank you for posting here and for the preview on GameSpy.com. I look forward to your full review on friday.

My main concern is about a reported game mechanics glitch where the force powers Burst of Speed/Knight Speed/Master Speed and Aura/Shield/Armor do not provide a bonus to defense when active. Would you please verify if this is a problem with the PC version? This is an important factor when planning out my character.

Another concern is the combination of Flurry and either Knight Speed or Master Speed. Do the extra attacks stack correctly? For example, combining Flurry and Knight Speed with a single lightsaber should yield three attacks and with dual lightsabers, four attacks.

Thank you again for participating.

WarriorGSI,

Thank you for posting here and for the preview on GameSpy.com. I look forward to your full review on friday.

My main concern is about a reported game mechanics glitch where the force powers Burst of Speed/Knight Speed/Master Speed and Aura/Shield/Armor do not provide a bonus to defense when active. Would you please verify if this is a problem with the PC version? This is an important factor when planning out my character.

Another concern is the combination of Flurry and either Knight Speed or Master Speed. Do the extra attacks stack correctly? For example, combining Flurry and Knight Speed with a single lightsaber should yield three attacks and with dual lightsabers, four attacks.

Thank you again for participating.

I very highly doubt that WarriorGSI will be able to respond to any of our questions, especially on an open forum like this; it would invite an avalanche of comments, thoughts and questions either on this forum or via PM that he probably does not have the time or inclination to answer. His job is to write computer game reviews, not look for bugs or answer technical questions from potential customers. I do hope, though that Obsidian is aware of it and has resolved the problem.

I'm not trying to rain on our parade, but I just thought that I might try and defend him in case he never replies.

But it certainly would be really nice if he did respond!

:ph34r:

Lord Revan was most displeased with your lack of combat skill.

-Something I wish they'd put in KOTOR

Heya Warrior, and welcome to the community.

There's some bugs that I'd expect to be in the finished version of KOTOR2 that were in the finished version of KOTOR1. Like the "transit to another area and have the game crash" bug.Or the "freeze halfway through loading bug" which can be fixed with an uninstall/reinstall.

Have fun writing that review. :lol:

Fnord.

Heya Warrior, and welcome to the community.

There's some bugs that I'd expect to be in the finished version of KOTOR2 that were in the finished version of KOTOR1. Like the "transit to another area and have the game crash" bug.Or the "freeze halfway through loading bug" which can be fixed with an uninstall/reinstall.

Have fun writing that review. :rolleyes:

I thought those issues were due to an ATI driver bug. In case you have an ATI card, those bugs can be fixed by upgrading to catalyst driver 4.11 from ATI's website. (Note that the more recent driver versions have new KoTOR bugs.) Or, use the DNA or Omega drivers, as some people on the PC technical discussion forum have suggested.

I'm playing through the final boxed copy and it looks like a few bugs have been fixed. Some don't show up until later in the game, so I'm not sure about those yet. But the game is still a lot of fun.

A few... So basically we have to wait a few months for a FEW bugs to fixed... Anyways, enough of the cynicism. Hope you have fun playing KotOR 2. :blink: *hint* Maybe you can... "donate" that review copy to ... hehehe :-.

Hey guys,

Well our review is up. I didn't review it, but I have played through it a ways and agree with the bugs part. But the story is truly phenominal. The game is 4 stars, which is still a great game, but it could have used more polish in AI and bug killing. I was also shocked at some of the art. In some places it looks really good. Other places (check out one of the Hutts) it looks like really low quality work.

That said, I am enjoying it an will play all the way through. I suspect a patch will make the game even better, but it is still worth playing.

And thanks for the welcome!

:devil: