Take-Two strikes back

kumquatq3

Take-Two will announce on Monday that the company has entered into a long-term licensing agreement with Major League Baseball Properties (MLBP), the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), and Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM).

The sweeping deal will give Take-Two "exclusives, include rights to the marks of all 30 Major League Baseball Clubs, MLB players, Major League ballparks and Minor League Baseball Clubs, as well as MLB.com online content, for use in Take-Two's baseball games," according to the groups.

More on the story

Simple. EA is Big and Evil. Hardly anyone knows who "Take Two" is. In fatc, I hadn't head of them until these rumours of them trying to do with MLB what EA did with Madden.

Personally, I say good on them. And, I'll say that even though I'd rathe rhave EA making their Triple Play/MLB games. They rock.

Ah well. You win some; you lose some.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd like to point out that when EA bought the NFL rights, everyone was up in arms, but no one seems to care about this.......

I'm not up in arms about it because what they did was a reaction to what EA did. What EA did was screwed up, what they did was screwed up; but if they hadn't of done it, more than likely EA would have eventually snapped up those rights too and that would have meant they'd lost another sport they could make games out of. :p

Wait a minute, Take Two IS big. Their Rockstar's publisher. They're the ones profiting on all the GTA games.

This is just as bad as EA's deal with the NFL. The only reason I can think that people aren't all up in arms is because less people care about baseball.

This is stupid what these publishers are doing. Competition is what makes the marketplace great. We as customers are going to lose out because of these deals.

Wait a minute, Take Two IS big.  Their Rockstar's publisher.  They're the ones profiting on all the GTA games.

This is just as bad as EA's deal with the NFL.  The only reason I can think that people aren't all up in arms is because less people care about baseball.

This is stupid what these publishers are doing.  Competition is what makes the marketplace great.  We as customers are going to lose out because of these deals.

Shoot, I'm sorry. I was confused. I was thinking they were the dev that made ESPN NFL 2k5. :p

"This is stupid what these publishers are doing. Competition is what makes the marketplace great. We as customers are going to lose out because of these deals."

Huh? Both these companies ARE competing. Stop whining. I say good on both EA and these goons as well.

WOO HOO!

COMPETITION WINS AGAIN!

Wait a minute, Take Two IS big.  Their Rockstar's publisher.  They're the ones profiting on all the GTA games.

This is just as bad as EA's deal with the NFL.  The only reason I can think that people aren't all up in arms is because less people care about baseball.

This is stupid what these publishers are doing.  Competition is what makes the marketplace great.  We as customers are going to lose out because of these deals.

Shoot, I'm sorry. I was confused. I was thinking they were the dev that made ESPN NFL 2k5. ;)

Take two is responsible for the 2k line:

T2 site

And Vol, their not competing.

Thats like saying if the Yankees were to buy MLB and not let anyone else play the game (hence they win ever time) that they are competing.

Not even in the big picture are they really competing, as their products don't really compete against each other anymore.

Nothing really stops anyone from making a baseball game with the japanese league (after they get those rights) ...

Yeah, that'll be a hit.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

It'd probably be a lot more fun.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yeah, that'll be a hit.

Even a foul ball is considered a hit. :(

Har dee har har

Nothing really stops anyone from making a baseball game with the japanese league (after they get those rights) ...

Yeah, that'll be a hit.

Well that is the problem in having a sport that is popular in just a few countries in the world.

I do bet it would do somewhat well in Japan and more that baseball and football sport sims do in europe.

drakron.png

If I understand correctly, Take Two's deal with baseball is not as good as EA's deal with football. Take Two's deal only applies to third party publishers (locking out EA), but first party publishers like Microsoft are exempt.

This would allow EA to do something sneaky like co-publish with Microsoft for an X-box baseball game.

All-in-all, this is a bad trend for sports games. ESPN 2k5 is the finest football I've ever played. I was so looking for the next update which will now never come. sigh.

"One has the sole exclusive rights to baseball. One has the exclusive rights to football."

Huh? No. One has exlusive rights to MLB, and the other to NFL. Football, and baseball games cna still be made.

"So Vol, how do you see this as competion. I mean, where do you see the competion taking place, because to me it seems like the two companies eliminated it."

A. They compteted with the NFL and LMB respectively to prove that they were worth of having the license.

B. As above, no one as exlusive rights to either sport.

There is still competition.

A. They compteted with the NFL and LMB respectively to prove that they were worth of having the license.

But they competed to get the rights to effectively end competion in specific areas. Hence now, competion is minimized. All you have to do is look at history to see the effects that generally has.

B. As above, no one as  exlusive rights to either sport.

There is still competition.

Sports in general? No.

But do you consider Madden and NFL streets as rival franchises? I don't.

Do you consider the upcoming "Mario baseball" a threat to the High Heat series?

and lets face it, anyone who tries to compete with a NFL or MLB liceansed product, in terms of having a realistic football or baseball game, is going to get crushed.

That's their problems. Customers still have right to choose which baseball game they want.

And, yes, Madden and NFL Street are rival franchises. They both compete for football fans' dollars.

Ex, I'ma footbal fan; but I am looking for one that is as close to a 'rela life simulation' so I choose Madden. Others may not be so they choose NFL Street.

And, besides, you want competition, get someone to make a CFL football game. :blink:

"Do you consider the upcoming "Mario baseball" a threat to the High Heat series?"

For my money? No. But, they do compete for baseball fans. then again, the Mrio one is probbaly trying to hook Mario fans who have to have all Mario games and like basbeball too.