Star Wars Galaxies, anyone?

Grimlock

Hey everyone!

Recently I've seriously been considering getting Star Wars Galaxies, but have always assumed I could never afford it, as its a pay-per month game, and I thought the prices would be too high.

For some reason it wont allow me to post on the SwG website. And I'm just wondering (To those that have/still played it)

How much does Star Wars Galaxies cost per - month?

I live in the Uk, (if it helps, I don't know if prices vary depending on where you live)

Thanks for the help,

Grimlock

>_<

The following post is just my personal opinion, so its obviously not law or the word of god or anything:

Star Wars Galaxies is a waste of time and money. The idea behind it is great and has an enormous amount of potential. Sadly this has not been capitalised on. Galaxies reverts into endless, mind-numbing grinding. Your skill matters not at all, only how much you go on the internet and how little of a life you have.

Just my opinion, but I feel I have to put it forward if it will stop people being as disappointed as I was.

The following post is just my personal opinion, so its obviously not law or the word of god or anything:

Star Wars Galaxies is a waste of time and money.  The idea behind it is great and has an enormous amount of potential.  Sadly this has not been capitalised on.  Galaxies reverts into endless, mind-numbing grinding.  Your skill matters not at all, only how much you go on the internet and how little of a life you have.

Just my opinion, but I feel I have to put it forward if it will stop people being as disappointed as I was.

See other thread for answers: I just touched the surface of some of the issues you will face in SWG. There is a ton more but these are evident right from the get go by just reading boards.

Like Catalyst, I played SWG as well and regrete it. Freinds tried to warn me but I bought into the potential rather then the facts until it was obvious SOE wasnt interested what so ever in the potential of the game.

PS: you can only post if you have a active account (one of the few good ideas SOE had). Go read VN boards for DAoC to see why thats a good idea ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe somehow, a KotOR Multiplayer System that allow you to Venture out with others or something along the lines of Galaxy. Just an Idea,

apparently, if SWG wasnt being made, then KOTOR would have been online.

I cant see anything bad about Star Wars Galaxies, i've been on the forums when the site/forums where released, took part in the beta from the begining and then space and I'm still playing.. the game, in my opinion, lacks content.. once you've done the quests, mastered your professions, taken part in PVP and been ganked by several Jedi.

Jedi in SWG suck, there overpowered.. which.. they claim there not, but only the melee classes (unarmed guys, and those with swords) can last against a Saber?.. Range professions die in 2 seconds lol.

The Game isnt bad... it's just not that good, "but in time, you will learn to accept it" yah seriously, theres new patches and publishes releasing which is gonna make the game better.. but it's no KOTOR

Shane Tyduk

Some awesome title name here

"If you sharpen a knife to its limits,

you run the risk of cutting your own

hand. The knife has no choice but to

be as sharp as you made it."

Maybe somehow, a KotOR Multiplayer System that allow you to Venture out with others or something along the lines of Galaxy. Just an Idea,

apparently, if SWG wasnt being made, then KOTOR would have been online.

I cant see anything bad about Star Wars Galaxies, i've been on the forums when the site/forums where released, took part in the beta from the begining and then space and I'm still playing.. the game, in my opinion, lacks content.. once you've done the quests, mastered your professions, taken part in PVP and been ganked by several Jedi.

Jedi in SWG suck, there overpowered.. which.. they claim there not, but only the melee classes (unarmed guys, and those with swords) can last against a Saber?.. Range professions die in 2 seconds lol.

The Game isnt bad... it's just not that good, "but in time, you will learn to accept it" yah seriously, theres new patches and publishes releasing which is gonna make the game better.. but it's no KOTOR

thats not totally true.

Even jedi cant stand up to the exploiters that use stacking in SWG.

And most characters cant stand up to (or afford to even the playing feild) the older players in uber items, jedi or not.

Jedi in SWG are strong (after they hit Knight rank, before that they are as weak as newly rolled characters and punished into submission by exploiting Bounty Hunters). But they are not the strongest, the strongest is the LONG TIME present AND continueing exploiters. Till SOE fixs those cheaters you really cant legitly complain about jedi.

Also, you cant die to Jedi unless you are OVERT to begin with. Since its YOUR choice to go overt, pvp with ANYONE is to be expected as you CHOOSE YOURSELF to go overt. Stay Covert and jedis cant touch you what so ever.

Jedi (at knight rank) is the ONLY class in game FORCED to go overt (which again makes no sence what so ever..... a covert Bounty Hunter???? Come on now!).

Fact is, SWG is filled with exploits, bugs, lack of content, lack of storyline, BORING grind. Its just not a good game and getting worse as each patchs notes get released.

This is my opinion as a SWG Beta tester who was in all the Beta phases.

SWG sucks and is a waste of time.

MMO's in general suck and are a waste of time (and money).

thats not totally true either Jag. Maybe in your opinion but I myself had (and have) great memories from DAoC, EQLive, oNWN (on AOL), even a few from UO when it first released.

MMORPGs are like anything else. If you look for the good in them rather then the bad, you will ALMOST always find it.

I will say though, MMORPGs have gotten stale for me over last little while. Im really hoping Dungeons and Dragons Online or Imperator step up and become the games that most online folks know MMORPGs CAN be. For myself WoW isnt the answer (or even close to it), EQ2 has some great ideas but doesnt nail it yet either.

Time will tell tho o:)

PS: I still wish Obsidian OR Bioware would get a new SW contract from Lucas and make a REAL Star Wars MMORPG! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

thats not totally true either Jag. Maybe in your opinion but I myself had (and have) great memories from DAoC, EQLive, oNWN (on AOL), even a few from UO when it first released.

MMORPGs are like anything else. If you look for the good in them rather then the bad, you will ALMOST always find it.

I will say though, MMORPGs have gotten stale for me over last little while. Im really hoping Dungeons and Dragons Online or Imperator step up and become the games that most online folks know MMORPGs CAN be. For myself WoW isnt the answer (or even close to it), EQ2 has some great ideas but doesnt nail it yet either.

Time will tell tho ;)

PS: I still wish Obsidian OR Bioware would get a new SW contract from Lucas and make a REAL Star Wars MMORPG! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll admit that there's probably good in them, just like any game (especially for the MMO connoisseur as yourself Kalfear :) ). But to buy a game and never stop paying just strikes me as a waste of money. You can derive just as much if not more enjoyment from a handful of titles where you only pay once.

manthing2.jpg

Time will tell tho >_<

I'll admit that there's probably good in them, just like any game (especially for the MMO connoisseur as yourself Kalfear :lol: ). But to buy a game and never stop paying just strikes me as a waste of money. You can derive just as much if not more enjoyment from a handful of titles where you only pay once.

If your speaking gameplay only, no doubt about it.

In fact, Id go as far as to say KotOR 1 and 2 are better and more fun game play wise then any MMORPG out there currently.

But the real draw to a MMORPG is the interaction aspect. Im not talking Roleplaying (altho some enjoy that) but just making friends and interacting. MMORPGs offer a much more sutible arena for making and maintaining friendships then say a chat room or a game of Diablo on Battlenet. One could go as far as to say because of the monthly rate you tend to attract like minded people for the most part to yourself.

Thats really (when its all broken down and all that) the biggest selling point (advantage) a MMORPG has.

Gameplay wise, id rather play KotOR1 or 2, Civ 3, Axies and Allies off line or over the net to be honest. They all are far superior titles and games to ANY MMORPG currently out there. Which is kinda a shame, MMORPGS should be at least as strong as everything else out there in gameplay.

Its just the human aspect cant be ignored as its such a important part.

(examples: Two examples come to mind to kinda explain what im speaking about.

Back in EQ1 just after release I met a dwarf named soapwort (same guy that drew my Avatar I use). We would travel togather and became good friends actually. One day while he was bored at work he wrote up a song about guild and recorded it so we could place on guild site. Thing was freaking hillarious to listen to. *I cant post a link to it on my OLD guild site (first guild I created after leaving AOL) if anyone wants to hear it...if they havent removed it that is*

Anouther example is back in oNWN myself and a friend played Drow characters, very pro PVP. Since oNWN was a MMORPG turn based game we "tried" to roleplay our character between turns. Over a period of a couple of weeks (not by design) we ended up jumping and killing off every member of a different guild in game. One of their members was so impressed with this (SOL-Bard was his name) he wrote a entire ballad about the two of us (thing was huge and so well written, to this day I wish I had saved it when I had the chance).

Thing is, if not for the MMORPG, you could never experience or enjoy interaction like the two above situations. The game provided the backdrop for the creative imaginations to expand on them. In a off line game or even a Starcraft or Diablo game the chances of finding people like this and interacting with them are impossible or HIGHLY unlikely.

PS: Im not bashing Diablo or Starcraft btw, both games are fun to play but dont encouage interaction.)

MMORPGs just give a different experience is all. They neither right or wrong, just depends on who is playing and what they looking for from their experience.

PS: thats also why I hate this new complaint/whine/bitch you can find all over the internet about how MMORPGs should be solo and casual player freindly! They shouldnt because they are not that market. Thats what offline games are for. If a person has really limited time they CAN find products out there that are designed for their tastes. Why ruin someone elses favorite genre just to satisfy yourself? MMORPGS are about communities and interaction, solo play and casual play DONT fit that parameter! (sorry not directed at anyone in particular, just a huge pet peave of mine)

You make good points Kalfear:)

But in these MMO's, I'm guessing there're more d*cks, w*ankers, bastards, pr*cks, and generally obscene & filthty degenerage trash out there....as opposed to decent folk such as yourself, no?  :lol:

Yes and no, it all depends what the game is made for really.

DAoC idea was each realm built its own community and had a common purpose (defend your relics from the other two realms) so people for the most part were quite civil to each other in the realm (there was exceptions but there always is in any large gatherings be it games or life).

on the flip side

EQLive started strong with community and then became very anti social elitist attitudes (thats when I left, I had all the goodies but just hate attitudes like that).

For the most part tho, rule of thumb I follow is 1) how important is pvp? , 2) what is the game design? (IE: is it designed for small groups? Large groups? Solo?) and 3) does it have a role play server that enforced?

Reason for those 3 questions are, pvp breeds egos - egos breed the more obnoxious or greifer style of play. Long as PvP isnt the MAIN reason to play you can avoid these types usually quite easy.

Games that are designed for only large groups or solo players really defeat the purpose of MMORPGs. You really want to avoid both styles. small comfortable grouping is by far the best design for a MMORPG (3-4 people groups, only larger for epic stuff).

Lastly: Role Play servers are misleading by their title. They should be called mature servers as thats what they are and thats who they attract. You dont have to be a role player to play there, you just need to accept you need a real name not a stupid saying or something and know you will be ignored and/or ostrasized for speaking in dewdisms (IRoxer, L8TR, ect ect ect).

For myself those the three rules I always follow and they work for me :) Usually find the mass majority are good people to play with and interact with.

The biggest issue in MMORPGs I find is the different message boards are so misleading. Its sad but the vocal minorities of MMORPGs (Greifers, Hackers, Exploiters, ect) usually have the loudest voices on MMORPG related boards.

PS: I can say I find more idiots then I can count when I play on battlenet then ive ever encountered (exception being World of Warcraft and FFXI because of PS2 players) in MMORPGs. Has gotten so bad that now when I play on BNet I post on my guilds Private forums a game name and password so guildies able to join my games and channels but just refuse to speak to anyone on BNet other then guildies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing SWG for a little while now. I am still grinding my elite combat proff and I am looking forward to the FS grind. I may just be lucky though. I found a great guild whose members are all mature gamers that are intrestead in helping one another with thier respective grinds and with any other things that you could need. Yeah grinding can be tedious but there are so many ways that you can grind that it does not always need to be. There are numerous theme parks ( A theme park is a set of missions that you get from cannon movie/eu char) Most of which yield very good XP. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to really run any missions and just standing in the middle of a field on Dantooine hacking up pikets is fun to me. To say that the game is not good is wrong. It obviously is a very good game or the thousands of people across the world that play it would not be doing so and the game would be defunct and not continue to sell the way it has. I can undestand if you did not enjoy the game. Some games do not suit certain tastes. You not likeing the game does not make it bad. If someone does not like KOTOR does that make it a bad game? Maybe to that one person but not overall.

What it all boils down too is it is a good game that people keep purchasing everyday and despite what anyone says on this little board it will not change that.

when swg first came out my friends and i were so excited finally a star wars mmorpg........its not star wars sorry its just a mmorpg with a few star wars parts they just slapped the name star wars on it put in jedi now its STAR WARS its also no fun you have to run across the planets for hours looking for little rodents to kill to get xp i have stoped several months ago but my friend has not needless to say hes now a hermit stays inside all day whenever he does go out all he talks about is that game if your a star wars fan you wont like it if your not and you like endless hours of grinding to become a jedi then you will like it at the cost of you social life

Tried Galaxies last year.

Didin't liked it.

I don't think that MMORPGs are my style of gaming.

I find that there is no purpose in such games except for leveling up and finding items.

In other words they don't have an ending.

Plus you have to pay monthly for them.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

• 2 weeks later...

omg I didnt know anyone hated this game... but there is a simple answer.

I bet the majority of you were on crowded servers, I play on a less crowded server where we all know each other and o forth. There arent to may jedi, and NO ONE exploits. It is a very fun game, skill does matter... just there isnt aton of variaty because there are only 4 or 5 templates people use for PvE and PvE is similar. But it still PwNs any other game I have ever played.

They are always adding new content to the game, and if you started now you would get to play it the way it is before the come out with with the CURB (major changes to the game.) There is endless things to do, you just have to look. Time is not a matter unless you feel like you should be playing all the time to get the 15$ a month out of it. There is a free trial offer for 2 weeks that you can use, it is on the mian website. I would recomend trying either the Valcyn, or Tarquinas servers. DO NOT go to a serer that starts with the letters A-f for they are packed and over crowded with Jedi and exploiters which just makes the game no fun.

Also the space action is just as fun as any other game. You could try your hand as a merchant/crafter and make credits to just customize the gameplay to use what you want. There are many professions to chose from to aid in the Galactic civil war. I do have to say that the war isnt very strong between Players on the smaller servers, so if you wanted more PvP try a larger server but I still say that a Small server is a better experiance.

interaction is the best part of the game. Between the Forums, Guilds, and In game stuff you will meet people that you could call "friends." You can make a town, furnish your house, or lead others as you wish. I sometimes log in just to chat with my guild. Most guilds are very close, and go on large hunts or Camp loot spots as a whole.

Just the whole enviorment of the game makes it what it is, and dont jusde it till you have tried it thru the trial. Once you get the trail make sure that you ask around to get into a guild during that time to enhance the experiance of it.

There is a free trial offer for 2 weeks that you can use, it is on the mian website.

The one that says "Offers runs out july 2004" ? :thumbsup:"

Im with Hades. mmorpgs suck.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "