Star Wars Galaxies

Carth Vader

Are they worth buying?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are they worth buying?

• Yes
    • No

WoW, is only 4 months old and already encountering a huge cancellation rate because of the lack of thought put into it.

WOW might be the most popular (in North American markets) at the moment, the god honest truth is people are now getting over their Blizzard love fest and finding a very poorly designed, low on content game.

Right now WoW is popular because its a Blizzard product, it has not passed the test of time tho. And a REAL AND VALID arguement can be made that since its ONLY (continuously repeated) strenght is its a Blizzard product (rather then actual ingame strenghts), It doesnt seem to have the endurance to last the test of time!

PS: As I know (from experience) that people will point out the subscriptions WoW currently has, let me say this. Initial sales are awsome and great, but holding those subscriptions long term is what makes a MMORPG a success. The bleeding has already started for Blizzard in regards to WOW (as was predicted by long time players who saw the many faults WOW had in beta). And even the inital sales dont even come close to EQ1 levels or Asian market levels.

It must be great to make up a bunch of lies and call them facts.

WoW is the number one mmorpg on the north american market (not world wide, Lineage2 holds that honor). WoW has between (depending on whose numbers you believe) 550k to 750k subscriptions. 550k puts it in EQ1 range, 750k puts it slightly over eq1 range.

Slight correction those numbers, according to one of those MMORPG subscription sites (http://www.mmogchart.com/), EQI has never had even close to 550K subscribers, it peaked at just over 450k almost 2 years ago. It also mentions that its data for WoW and EQ2 is incomplete. Last statement from Blizzard is that continued interest has been so high, they've had to suspend shipment of the product in order for hardware to catch up.

Of course none of this relates to whether it's a crappy game or not. Still interested in seeing actual numbers regarding a subsciption drop off. Maybe I'm just a tard, but I cannot find them on the net.

I'll just add too, that my interest in seeing WoW succeed on a massive scale, more than its predecessors UO/EQ, is that it may translate into other "quality" deveolopers throwing their hat into the ring. A massive success for Blizzard may translate into better choices on the MMORPG front for gamers.

WoW is the number one mmorpg on the north american market (not world wide, Lineage2 holds that honor).

When you posted this, WoW had only been released in the North American market. It will surpass L2 as it is released in Europe, Korea, etc. I believe (not 100% sure on this) that it already has far more players if you add in the EU/KR beta.

If your argueing the part about name recognition, grow up! The number one excuse for overlooking WoW faults given is "Its Blizzard, they will fix it" over the web. That is blind devotion at its most clearist.

It may indeed be devotion but it is not blind. Blizzard supports their titles better than any other company in the industry. I recognize that they are not supporting WoW as quickly as the public desires - both in terms of content and server stability - but the work is being done with as much fervor as pushing for a release.

SWG is scrambling now due to all the cancellations they experienceing. WoWs not been out long enough for it to be in same boat but cracks already showing.

The connection you draw between SWG and WoW isn't really accurate. On the other hand, the situation is pretty close to what Everquest experienced - way more subscribers than the developers had planned for, resulting in server issues.

WoW is the number one mmorpg on the north american market (not world wide, Lineage2 holds that honor).

When you posted this, WoW had only been released in the North American market. It will surpass L2 as it is released in Europe, Korea, etc. I believe (not 100% sure on this) that it already has far more players if you add in the EU/KR beta.

Thats why I said North american market. Lineage, FFXI, L2 all preformed poorly in the north american market but do amazing numbers world wide. WOW is tops for North American market, not world wide tho.

Also, you cant add in beta numbers as subscriptions, many who beta will not subscribe. No one knows how popular a game will be in a region until it releases. Simple as that.

WoW can beat out L2 and FFXI, on the other hand it might not. Time will tell that story!

If your argueing the part about name recognition, grow up! The number one excuse for overlooking WoW faults given is "Its Blizzard, they will fix it" over the web. That is blind devotion at its most clearist.

It may indeed be devotion but it is not blind. Blizzard supports their titles better than any other company in the industry. I recognize that they are not supporting WoW as quickly as the public desires - both in terms of content and server stability - but the work is being done with as much fervor as pushing for a release.

Only a Blizzard employee can state what you just did. Normal public would have no bases or knowledge of how much Blizzard is or isnt supporting their product behind the sceens.

I will mention, regardless if you like (I dont) or hate WoW and/or blizzard. The game is 4 months old. Server stability should be completely fixed by now. Thats the same standard that applies to every other game out there from public expectations for a MMORPG. The fact its not just goes against your statement that Blizzard is supporting the game fully. Sorry, cant agree or support a different set of rules just because its Blizzard. No excuse what so ever for having server stability issues at this point in time. Thats the exact meaning of blind devotion im afraid!

SWG is scrambling now due to all the cancellations they experienceing. WoWs not been out long enough for it to be in same boat but cracks already showing.

The connection you draw between SWG and WoW isn't really accurate. On the other hand, the situation is pretty close to what Everquest experienced - way more subscribers than the developers had planned for, resulting in server issues.

Only connection Im drawing is both got a huge boost in initial subscriptions because of name recognition and not product quality. I beta tested WoW, its not a well put togather game imo. It brought exatly 0 new ideas to the genre. It dumbed down the learning curve and ruined game play by doing that. Its got cartoon graphics (some like, I dont, personal opinion). If WOW was made by any other company except Blizzard or Bio Ware it would have 1/3 the initial subscriptions it has. Only Bio ware and Blizzard have the strong followings tho to attract players from outside the MMORPG genre into it (thats not a insult at Blizzard or Bio Ware btw). Any other company out there would not have had the initial sales because any other company out there would be judged on the game rather then the company rep.

Back when I was beta testing WoW, I had people NOT BETA TESTING argueing with me on VN boards telling me what the game was like! Im talking like 50 -60 replies. All from non beta testers who defended the game like they would defend a new born child, just because it was a Blizzard product!

Of course Blizzard got alot of people from company rep only!

As I said tho, visit any other games message boards and you will see the posts becoming more and more frequent titled "Back from WoW" or similar. The bleeding has started, how deep it runs is anyones guess at this time but it definately has started!

PS: for the other poster that spoke about only going off message boards. No I dont do that, I watch message boards, official sites, and 2 different subscription analist sites for information.

Fact is message boards only represent maybe 5% to 10% of the actual subscription base in general and even then its mostly reflected towards the pro pvp crowds. (IE: pro pvp make up for a larger % of board users then they represent in a game).

But when you see the same topic reused over and over by different posters that it becomes a REAL trend. One can make the assumption that that topic reflects a larger percent then just board users.

Take the Obsidian boards for example. The most agreed upon complaint is the end of KotOR2 was less then expected or wanted. Obviously the board readers here DONT even represent enough to qualify them as a minority when the whole population counted.

But Obsidian can gather from these boards that since so many are in agreement that the ending was infact somewhat less then expected. Its safe to say for each post here there is anywhere for 10-1000 others not posting that feel the same way!

So when you have a clear cut trend happening on message boards (again, clear cut, not one here and one there) EDUCATED assumptions can be made that it reflects far more then just the 50 people posting here. Same goes for MMORPG, when you can see a CLEAR trend of "back from WoW" or "Leaving WoW" of mass multiple posters, you can in fact see a patern that goes well beyond just the posters. If it was a post here and a post there, thats a different topic all togather. But board trends that are clearly identifiable do in fact represent PLAYER ATTITUDES in many cases.

That explaination enough for you?

Just a comment that the tension I am detecting would be of much use elsewhere, rather than in thread. Try PM if you have something less than constructive to post.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

i keep seeing these offers for a free 14-day trial to this game.  ive always wondered if you can get a feel for the game in such a short amount of time. 

can you tell if it sucks that soon?  or will you get swept up in the "novelty" of it early on, then realize its a waste of time?

Not really Neverwinter,

The initial impression of SWG is actually quite good to be honest. You see alot of designs (structures and such) that do say Star Wars.

The combat is very limited but as a newbie thats to be expected in any game (MMORPG) to be honest.

Its once you hit the mid level game everything starts to break down (fast and badly).

Most folks dont play 5+ hours a day so in the 14 day trial you really wouldnt get the true sence of the game and experience the shortcoming.

There is a few crafting skills you will see are broken by design (Surveying, any entertainer skill) in the 14 days but combat skills and advanced crafting skills you wouldnt get any knowledge about with in 14 days.

If your goal was to become a Jedi (like mine was) you wouldnt learn about how broken that system is for at least 4-6 months (for the FS quests). Actual Jedi stuff you wouldnt experience for at least 1 year after you sign up unless your a power gamer like myself.

Even the FS quests on the survace look good.

The FS quests are actually very well done, its the endless grind after unlocking that specific line where it becomes obvious its badly designed and broken beyond repair! But most folks hold out until at least 3 lines finished before the bordom and monotiny wins out (FS xp is gained at a 30-1 ration of normal xp or a 3-1 ration for combat xp. Combat xp is 10-1 ratio vrs normal xp (so its actually the same as 30-1 ratio just broken up abit rather then all at once).

Anyways, long and short of it is you probably wouldnt see the major defaults in the 14 days. Unless you (like myself) also look for community interaction, matureness of community, and naming rules on servers.

SOE doesnt support Role Playing Servers for SWG so you end up putting alot more people on ignore then you would in say a DAoC RP server where server rules weed out many of the less desirable players from the get go.

Just a comment that the tension I am detecting would be of much use elsewhere, rather than in thread. Try PM if you have something less than constructive to post.

Sorry Fion, will stop aggrivating the pets :ermm:

Actually had a convo with a board moderator on a different VN board yesterday who been actually argueing same thing I was here. Both came to conclution its not worth effort or time so will stop speaking about WoW and all that :lol:

topic about SWG so will stick to topic :)

Sony Online Entertainment. And WoW sucks. I'd rather play Dungeon Siege.

Surely WoW couldn't be that bad.... :)

It isn't, that guy's just an idiot.

It is.

All depends on what you look for in a MMORPG.

Myself, I like group orientated combat, decent graphics (EQ style, DAoC style, EQ2 style), and mature communities. WoW has non of the above listed qualities.

As I said tho, it all depends on what you are looking for in a game.

You need to find out for yourself Pala, Dislikeing WoW doesnt make you a idiot contrary to Lithiums constant and mature comments she posts.

Go take a look for yourself and see it its something your interested in is the best advice I can give you. Its definately not for everyone.

While it doesn't have the almost instant gratification that us Kotorians are used to and it does require what some refer to as "GRINDING" I have had a lot of fun with it. Here are the things I like about it.

1) It looks really good. The planets all look how you would imagine them to look. Etc............. The char models are fun and diverse.

2) There is so much that you can do. You could spend all of your time doing such things as being a chef or a starship builder.

3) Yes you need to grind out in the field if you want to be a combat bad ass. But in this regard it is no diffrent than say Final Fantasy. It differs from the standard "GRINDING" however in the fact that you can form large hunting party's with other players.

4) My exp with the ppl in the universe has been suprisingly pleasant as well. There are a lot of mature gamers that are willing to impart some wisdom etc.....

5) Becoming a jedi is hard. A month of playing is what I have heard is the min to get a force sensitive char slot and then you can create your jedi. The jedi system is awsome though. You have to go through the trials etc............. The game will always be able to throw challanges at you as well. So if you just want to play a Je di Kotor may just be the game for you.

6) It takes place right after the destuction of the first death star and the galactic civil war is heating up now. With the jump to lightspeed exspansion you can be a rebel, imperial, privateer, or smuggler pilot..

If you have a decent puter and the time to play a rpg that you could not possibly beat in a weekend, then this is the one.

Buy it play it make your own decision. There are thousands that love it and play it religiously. I would hesitate to say they all feel they are playing a bad game.

• 2 weeks later...
Sony Online Entertainment. And WoW sucks. I'd rather play Dungeon Siege.

Surely WoW couldn't be that bad.... >_<

It isn't, that guy's just an idiot.

It is.

All depends on what you look for in a MMORPG.

Myself, I like group orientated combat, decent graphics (EQ style, DAoC style, EQ2 style), and mature communities. WoW has non of the above listed qualities.

As I said tho, it all depends on what you are looking for in a game.

You need to find out for yourself Pala, Dislikeing WoW doesnt make you a idiot contrary to Lithiums constant and mature comments she posts.

Go take a look for yourself and see it its something your interested in is the best advice I can give you. Its definately not for everyone.

im a dude

Let me first say that I'm no SWG player so put this comment in that context.

I remember reading many months ago that jedis in SWG were overpowered compared to other characters and that gave balancing problems. In a sense jedis are a dilema because they're supposed to be more powerfull then other "classes", yet at the same time you have to make things fair for others players. Therefor I personally think that perhaps a heavy penalty on death is the only thing SWG could do to balance it out. Either that or remove them from the game.

I played ultima online for 4 years. The powerfull characters always get screwed over, which not coincedently are always those of power players. It doesn't suprise me then that a powerplayer is so negative about SWG, I would be to if someone asked me of the current state of Uo.

All that and the man's name is Ralph Koster, not Koser ;)

I remember reading many months ago that jedis in SWG were overpowered compared to other characters and that gave balancing problems. In a sense jedis are a dilema because they're supposed to be more powerfull then other "classes", yet at the same time you have to make things fair for others players. Therefor I personally  think that perhaps  a heavy penalty on death is the only thing SWG could do to balance it out. Either that or remove them from the game.

I played ultima online for 4 years. The powerfull characters always get screwed over, which not coincedently are always those of  power players. It doesn't suprise me then that a powerplayer is so negative about SWG, I would be to if someone asked me of the current state of Uo.

All that and the man's name is Ralph Koster, not Koser  :)

For a while the penalty for a Jedi dying would be perma-death, but since they took that out all they get now are heavy exp reductions which doesn't really mean **** when they can earn that all back in 2 hours or less.

I remember reading many months ago that jedis in SWG were overpowered compared to other characters and that gave balancing problems. In a sense jedis are a dilema because they're supposed to be more powerfull then other "classes", yet at the same time you have to make things fair for others players. Therefor I personally  think that perhaps  a heavy penalty on death is the only thing SWG could do to balance it out. Either that or remove them from the game.

I played ultima online for 4 years. The powerfull characters always get screwed over, which not coincedently are always those of  power players. It doesn't suprise me then that a powerplayer is so negative about SWG, I would be to if someone asked me of the current state of Uo.

All that and the man's name is Ralph Koster, not Koser  :wub:

For a while the penalty for a Jedi dying would be perma-death, but since they took that out all they get now are heavy exp reductions which doesn't really mean **** when they can earn that all back in 2 hours or less.

ROFLMGDAO!!!!!!!

2 hours or less? Wow you must never have played SWG. 200k (thats what the xp penalty at death btw) of jedi xp is equal to 10x that amount of force sencitive xp. FS xp is 30x that amount of normal xp! You CANT make 200k jedi xp in 2 hours! you CANT even get 200k FS xp in 2 hours!

Get a freaking clue! Quite making crap up, we get it, you hate jedi! Its understood!

• 2 weeks later...

and the issue wasnt that jedi were to strong, but the fact that they abused the power by camping people they shouldnt have. I wasnt one of the Lib's screaming for a Jedi nerf, but for them to fix the system. Anyone who devoted that much time, wether grindding or casual, deserves the jedi slot... and for SW accuracy they deserve power.

Everyone deserves there own opinions but SWG is flat out one of the best mmorpg's ever. That doesnt mean it is the top dog, WOW or FF may be above it but it deserves more respect than what many are giving it. Im sure no one cares about yalls opionion of it, obviously you arent giving them money so they care nothing about you. The guy above me knows what h is talking about, the jedi issue has been fixxed... but it could have been better but it is fixxed. If they die they notice it but thankfully for them there are Doc's in the game who can rez. They can get around the weekend worth of grinding the xp if they try. Gringding is fun for me but doesnt have to be for you. I dont do one lair over and over, but go to POI's and caves. I interact with others and have a life unlike many of yall who are flaming the game and have a better understanding of it.

It is sad that they no longer ofer the free trial because the majority of the people flaming have never even tried it. people who play EQ2 now can play SWG for free if they have the disc. Is it really that hard to spend 10$ on EBAY, or 20$ at your local target to try a game that many people love... and many people who dont know jack hate?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have gone and done it. My roommate bought SW Galaxies and with me so distraught not able to get the old old old old old old game Dragon Wars to work on my XP machine and somewhat bored of all my other games I bought Jump to Lightspeed. I love space combat sims and more the better and JtL is fun so far.

Well, I have gone and done it.  My roommate bought SW Galaxies and with me so distraught not able to get the old old old old old old game Dragon Wars to work on my XP machine and somewhat bored of all my other games I bought Jump to Lightspeed.  I love space combat sims and more the better and JtL is fun so far.

Shocked.jpg

manthing2.jpg

Well, I have gone and done it.  My roommate bought SW Galaxies and with me so distraught not able to get the old old old old old old game Dragon Wars to work on my XP machine and somewhat bored of all my other games I bought Jump to Lightspeed.  I love space combat sims and more the better and JtL is fun so far.

I'm not the least bit surprised. >_<"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

What can I say?  I am a sucker for space combat sims as much as I am for CRPGs.

Sure, sure. Admit it, you own every single game you've ever complained about and actually love playing them.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)