Star Wars Galaxies

Carth Vader

Are they worth buying?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are they worth buying?

• Yes
    • No

I have both and I regret it enormously. Galaxies has an enormous amount of potential, but is sadly lacking. The first week or so is fun as you go round exploring and encountering new things. This quickly becomes old, and in order to progress you must spend an enormous amount of time simply grinding. Sorry for the bad news.

I have both and I regret it enormously.  Galaxies has an enormous amount of potential, but is sadly lacking.  The first week or so is fun as you go round exploring and encountering new things.  This quickly becomes old, and in order to progress you must spend an enormous amount of time simply grinding.  Sorry for the bad news.

Gotta go with Catalyst here, one of the worst MMORPGs ever made! Thats really sad to say to as it does actually have the most "potential" of all the MMORPGs out there.

Star Wars itself should be a MMORPG designers dream come true. But SOE seems determined to miss that potential completely and utterly.

Some of the things (but hardly all of them by a long stretch) you will face is :

1) Insanely boring grinding for the sake of grinding

2) punishment for wishing to become a jedi

3) even mnore punishment for becoming a jedi

4) Broken economy that rewards those that made money in old economic system (current one is VERY VERY unproductive for new players)

5) In a upcoming patch (combat upgrade) you will be forced to group up with 6-8 other players to kill even the most easiest of creatures. Of course this means you will be forced to join LARGE Uber guilds so you can even find a group if they will have you.

6) Totally unbalanced system that puts more emphasist on classes from UO rather then Star Wars (IE: Creature Handlers)

7) Bounty Hunters using known exploits but SOE flat out refuseing to fix those exploits

;) Lack of storyline (which is a real feat considering its Star Wars with a built in storyline), lack of quests, lack of content for PvE (SOEs stance on that is the upcoming CU, why add more content when they can force people to group and replay old content).

9) Far as JTL goes, its fun for a short while but ends quickly (with in 20 hours play). No high end content in JTL either so you have basically purchased the expansion so you can shuttle yourself from planet to planet instantly rather then wait 5 minutes for the ingame shuttle).

10) as a new player, you wont be able to afford a ship for at least a year under new economic system unless someone who has money makes it for you.

The game is totally and completely broken, it lacks any star wars feel to it beyond the initial immersment of seeing the SW designs. Once that wears off tho, there is no epic fights or battles, PvP is over run with exploiters.

Jedi portion of game means you will now have a HUGE xp penalty at death and bounty hunters who will use 2nd accounts to ensure your put on the BH terminals (and then switch to their BH accounts) to hunt you down and get their reward (and you taking a 200k xp penalty (200k jedi xp = 20 million normal xp), over and over and over. If you EVER manage to reach Jedi Knight status, they will finally leave you alone because you can then and only then successfully fight back. Your jedi will be EXACTLY the same as everyone elses as there is no choices or designs, just follow the same path everyone else takes and kill things nonstop for no reason beyond grinding xp.

Seriously think you should rethink buying SWG as its just not worth it. If you currently play EQ or EQ2, then at least you can get the multigame monthly pass so your not wasting additional money on SWG mon thly charges. Thats about the only way Id ever suggest someone try it and even then thats not a for sure thing.

PS: This is way I want Obsidian or Bioware to make a NEW Star Wars MMORPG (along with Lucas of course). Their current game system is FAR more productive then SWGs is (of course the KotOR system would have to be tweaked and expanded).

All they would seriously need to do is hire a long term MMORPG player (11+ years with 5 or more MMORPGs under their belt) to point out the changes that needed to be made and they could seriously and completely grab the entire SW MMORPG market along with a good portion of the fantasy MMORPG market.

*Snickers* I know this because outta bordom Ive already (on paper) changed the KotOR system to work for a MMORPG. FFXI already utilizes similar graphics to gr eat success so graphics and engine not a issue what so ever.

SWG is the suckiest suck to ever suck a suck.*

Unfortantly I have to agree with that, its amazing how a concept that could be so easily great is so horribly bad

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I have both and I regret it enormously.  Galaxies has an enormous amount of potential, but is sadly lacking.  The first week or so is fun as you go round exploring and encountering new things.  This quickly becomes old, and in order to progress you must spend an enormous amount of time simply grinding.  Sorry for the bad news.

Ditto. It could have been good. If they'd just cut out the grinding.

9) Far as JTL goes, its fun for a short while but ends quickly (with in 20 hours play). No high end content in JTL either so you have basically purchased the expansion so you can shuttle yourself from planet to planet instantly rather then wait 5 minutes for the ingame shuttle).

Wait all JTL gives you is a shuttle? You cant get a fighter and fly around shooting fighter baddies? What kind of crappy expansion is that? :ermm:

Anything SOE sucks ass, play WoW. =P

Okies statements like this annoy me.

While SOE DROPPED the ball huge on SWG (altho REAL gamers will know most of the blame can go to Ralph Koser of Ultima fame), SOE is not the devil.

Like any MMORPG company out there currently (INCLUDING BLIZZARD) they have many many faults, but unlike Blizzard they are a leading force in the creation of NEW ideas and concepts as well.

Their EQ remains one of the best MMORPG ever created. EQ2 from all "serious" reports sounds to be a awsome game with much thought put into its details. For anyone with even a moderate amount of knowledge regarding the MMORPG genre, its obvious that once again SOE created new ideas and concepts in EQ2 that will be widely used and copied in the next few years as new games get created. WOW's claim to fame is they created a game that copies everyone else, added NO new or creative content, and even managed to fumble the ball there.

WoW, is only 4 months old and already encountering a huge cancellation rate because of the lack of thought put into it.

WOW might be the most popular (in North American markets) at the moment, the god honest truth is people are now getting over their Blizzard love fest and finding a very poorly designed, low on content game.

Make no mistake hear, SOE screwed up SWG but good! As a older more experienced gamer I can see that many of the mistakes happened because SOE hired the much over rated Ralph Koser who rather then design a true MMORPG to do SW justice, just copied and pasted the failing UO template, upgrading graphics.

SWGs failure is as much Ralph Kosers fault as it is the extreamly poor developement team SOE has working on it. But 1 game doesnt solidify a reputation for a company (except it seems for WOW fanboi's who are the dredge of the MMORPG community) when they have many more products on the market. EQ, EQ2, Planetside are all immensly popular titles to those masses that play them and point blank prove SOE has a clue as to what they are doing in the genre. They all (excluding EQ2 as a new release) have proven the test of time and them some.

Right now WoW is popular because its a Blizzard product, it has not passed the test of time tho. And a REAL AND VALID arguement can be made that since its ONLY (continuously repeated) strenght is its a Blizzard product (rather then actual ingame strenghts), It doesnt seem to have the endurance to last the test of time!

PS: As I know (from experience) that people will point out the subscriptions WoW currently has, let me say this. Initial sales are awsome and great, but holding those subscriptions long term is what makes a MMORPG a success. The bleeding has already started for Blizzard in regards to WOW (as was predicted by long time players who saw the many faults WOW had in beta). And even the inital sales dont even come close to EQ1 levels or Asian market levels.

Okies statements like this annoy me.

While SOE DROPPED the ball huge on SWG (altho REAL gamers will know most of the blame can go to Ralph Koser of Ultima fame), SOE is not the devil.

Like any MMORPG company out there currently (INCLUDING BLIZZARD) they have many many faults, but unlike Blizzard they are a leading force in the creation of NEW ideas and concepts as well.

Their EQ remains one of the best MMORPG ever created. EQ2 from all "serious" reports sounds to be a awsome game with much thought put into its details. For anyone with even a moderate amount of knowledge regarding the MMORPG genre, its obvious that once again SOE created new ideas and concepts in EQ2 that will be widely used and copied in the next few years as new games get created. WOW's claim to fame is they created a game that copies everyone else, added NO new or creative content, and even managed to fumble the ball there.

WoW, is only 4 months old and already encountering a huge cancellation rate because of the lack of thought put into it.

WOW might be the most popular (in North American markets) at the moment, the god honest truth is people are now getting over their Blizzard love fest and finding a very poorly designed, low on content game.

Make no mistake hear, SOE screwed up SWG but good! As a older more experienced gamer I can see that many of the mistakes happened because SOE hired the much over rated Ralph Koser who rather then design a true MMORPG to do SW justice, just copied and pasted the failing UO template, upgrading graphics.

SWGs failure is as much Ralph Kosers fault as it is the extreamly poor developement team SOE has working on it. But 1 game doesnt solidify a reputation for a company (except it seems for WOW fanboi's who are the dredge of the MMORPG community) when they have many more products on the market. EQ, EQ2, Planetside are all immensly popular titles to those masses that play them and point blank prove SOE has a clue as to what they are doing in the genre. They all (excluding EQ2 as a new release) have proven the test of time and them some.

Right now WoW is popular because its a Blizzard product, it has not passed the test of time tho. And a REAL AND VALID arguement can be made that since its ONLY (continuously repeated) strenght is its a Blizzard product (rather then actual ingame strenghts), It doesnt seem to have the endurance to last the test of time!

PS: As I know (from experience) that people will point out the subscriptions WoW currently has, let me say this. Initial sales are awsome and great, but holding those subscriptions long term is what makes a MMORPG a success. The bleeding has already started for Blizzard in regards to WOW (as was predicted by long time players who saw the many faults WOW had in beta). And even the inital sales dont even come close to EQ1 levels or Asian market levels.

You're an idiot.

Wait all JTL gives you is a shuttle? You cant get a fighter and fly around shooting fighter baddies? What kind of crappy expansion is that? :lol:

Here are the ships.

post-936-1107473530_thumb.jpg

In support of JTL the ship to ship combat is alright. But it wears thin once you've killed the same people over and over again and you've become such a good pilot its mind-numbingly easy. You no longer think about how you're going to win the dogfight, you're just waiting till you have won it. JTL is one of the better aspects of SWG but it still has many of the flaws (namely it becomes old very quickly).

The bleeding has already started for Blizzard in regards to WOW (as was predicted by long time players who saw the many faults WOW had in beta). And even the inital sales dont even come close to EQ1 levels or Asian market levels.

Can you post those numbers then or at least a link? BTW, nothing compares to the Asian MMORPG numbers ... not even close to the 4 million subscribers Lineage has. From what I can see, EQ's peak usage was less than 500,000, whereas WoW sold 600,000 in less than a month.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/lineage-ii-the-ch...e/502157p1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineage_(game)

It must be great to make up a bunch of lies and call them facts.

It must be great to make up a bunch of lies and call them facts.

what lies?

WoW is the number one mmorpg on the north american market (not world wide, Lineage2 holds that honor). WoW has between (depending on whose numbers you believe) 550k to 750k subscriptions. 550k puts it in EQ1 range, 750k puts it slightly over eq1 range.

WoW is only 4 months old. Beta ended 4 months ago brainiac. Ok if you want to count beta in its live span its 12 months old. Personally I only count games once they go to retail, not their alphas and beta test times.

WoW is already experiencing subscription losses. Read boards, articles, or the MMORPG subscription web site for validation of that statement. The evidence is there in clear veiw for you IF you choose to read it. Sure you can ignore it (which your obviously doing) but YOU ignoreing the facts doesnt make them made up or false!

If your argueing the part about name recognition, grow up! The number one excuse for overlooking WoW faults given is "Its Blizzard, they will fix it" over the web. That is blind devotion at its most clearist. WoW got a huge boost to initial subscriptions because its a Blizzard product, just the same as SWG got a huge initial subscription base because it was Star Wars. Name recognition goes along ways in initially helping a game. After a period of time tho the game has to stand on its own. SWG is scrambling now due to all the cancellations they experienceing. WoWs not been out long enough for it to be in same boat but cracks already showing.

So guess my question for you is WHAT LIES?

Must be nice to make up a false statement to accuse others of lieing with out validating or proving your own statement what so ever.

Haha, if you take board moaning, articles of a few unhappy customers, or even MMORPG subscription web site which have selective information - fine, just don't try to pawn it off as actual fact. Unless Blizzard releases the numbers, everything else is irrelevant. A couple of very vocal customers dont = the majority.