Hey, how about some good news, huh?

kumquatq3

Longest Journey was a lot of fun. Only one puzzle that was really illogical that I can think of. Like why the hell do you need a paint mixer to shake a soda can ?

I think the internet went a long way to killing off the adventure game.

I remember when I used to play them , I would be coming home from school on a bus thinking about it and suddenly the solution would occur (or something I hadnt thought of before that might work). Or it would happen while day dreaming in math class.

Now people only have to be stuck for 5 minutes and it's off to the internet (or strat guide). All of which defeats the purpose of buying those sorts of games so most likely people just stopped.

Length is also another thing. From start to finish without adding in "stuck" time, they are not that long. And once you solve a puzzle, well thats not going to change next time so the game just plays faster.

This is different to RPGs and games like RE where the games are still playable even if you know the puzzle solutions.

The hobbit is what got me into this whole roleplaying lark in the first place. Found it at a car boot sale with the book as part of the package. Read and loved the book , played the game and thought it was ok.

A week later I was taken ill away from home and my parents got me the Lord of Rings to read.

Cant really say I have any great desire to play an adventure game today.I saw Broken Sword III for

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not to mention The Longest Journey

I have a feeling the sequel will do pretty good. The Longest Journey kinda went unnoticed by the masses, but the critics and everyone who played it gave it very good grades (I was glad I picked it up). I think this will help the sequel. That is unless it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

But its a preview of a game that is several months away from being completed and I doubt its being developed next door to PCGamer offices so they can peek inside and see what is being done.

What they know is what is released to the press.

drakron.png

Not to mention The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango and (noone will remember this one) Guild of Thieves!

Grim Fandago and TLJ were terrific! Can't say I remember Guild of Thieves, but what about Tex Murphy? (Martian Memorandum, Under a Killing Moon and one or two others -- starring none other than a certain game developer by the name of "Chris Jones.") Tex Murphy got me hooked on computer gaming.

Or Gabriel Knight? The first two GK's were good, the third -- well, not so.

Okay, so I'm old! :">

Okay, so I'm old!  :">

Let me comfort you a with a little game list in chronological order:

1999: The Longest Journey

1998: Grim Fandango

1994: Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon

1993: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father

1991: Martian Memorandum

1987: Guild of Thieves

Also.. I played Mean Streets (first Tex Murphy game, from 1989) on my Commodore 64! Trust me, you're not old.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Memories... :thumbsup:

My first "real" adventure game, that I managed to complete was "The Hobbit" by Melbourne House (mostly known otherwise for "Exploding Fist", best karate game ever)

The Hobbit made me read the book that came in the box... I was hopelessly stumped by something in the darkness that kept killing me. In the end, I gave in and read the damned book.

One: It got me into reading a lot more of Tolkiens books and Two: I managed to complete the game (so I needed that glowing sword to light up in the dark when goblins were near, go ahead and bash me for the spoiler).

Lets see, that would have been around 1984 (give or take a year) :wub:"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lets see, that would have been around 1984 (give or take a year) whistling.gif

Ooooo ya old school!!! :D

(never even heard "The Hobbit" as a adveture game... but then I was 7 in 1984 so maybe thats not that odd...)

EDIT: damn cant even spell Hobbit...