Dont Rush KotOR III

I was a big fan of KotOR I and II, but II was majorly dissapointing! So many more thing were promised, sush as the Droid Assasin Rifle in the HK-50 quest that would have made HK-47 immortal. Or Bastila's Lightsaber. Or the HK-50 Factory. Or downloadable content (grr x a google, thats 100 zeros if ya don't know, or maybe thats a googleplex, anyway, the bigger one). Skipping over things that were promised or let out is just evil! Now Im a fair person, I know you (or LucasArts) rushed to get it out before Christmas, and thats the problem, look at Half-Life 2. It took 6 years to develop and now make Halo 2 look like childs play (though my computer is too pathetic for Half-Life 2 so I have Halo 2 on X-Box).

Also, work out the bugs. I dont think anyone went through KotOR II bug free. I know I havnt, and Ive been through it with every prestige class (for a total of 6 times if you dont know). However I went through KotOR I about 10 times and got bugged a grand total of 5 times. All in the same game (the file got corrupted somehow I assume). So if it takes you guys 6 years for KotOR III, TAKE THE 6 YEARS OVER HAVING A BUGGY, AND DISSAPOINTING GAME!

On a possitive note however I can't seem to stop playing KotOR II, hell, Im playing it right now as a matter of fact.

REMEMBER:

OE please take you time, and if LucasArts tries to rush you, show 'em the birdie (Not really they'll probably firr you, just make it clear you can't be rushed).

"J00r bugz R maKING me MAD!!!1!!! J00 guys muzt B stoopid!!111!! O ya, I Love yor Game!!1 Now make MOre!!11!!"

man, cruising forums just makes me hate gamers. Posts like this that are just knee-jerk, un-informed crap just make me wish i had gotten into police work or gone to lawschool instead of going into games.

I bet OB developers just do a dance of unadulterated joy when they come across a post like this.

Information: KotOR III is in Lucas Arts hands, they shelved the project at the moment, aka, not currently being worked on.

You've posted this in, give or take, five threads already, and yet no-one seems to have taken the clue! I so love fanboys :blink:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Man, do these guys not know how to read?  KotOR 3 was an in house game that got canceled.  Crew FIRED.  Obsidian is working on NWN 2.  Keep up with the times so you might not look like an idiot when you post crap like this.

You tell em Hades. :p

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Don't flame him, it's very easy to get the impression that Obsidian is secretly developing KotOR3 if you read a lot of.. less trustworthy game news sites.

Actiontrip posted a news article recently about Obsidian secretly making KotOR3 for the next-gen consoles. Their source came from here:

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2572

I wouldn't believe it though. I trust Feargus judgement.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Fwiw... next gen Xbox titles under development have a very strict non-disclosure agreement that the developers cannot discuss it whatsoever. Regardless of who the developer is, whether Obsidian or not, if Kotor 3 is being considered as a launch title for the next gen Xbox, then the devs can't even hint at it until they are given the ok. Microsoft is keeping all info regarding the new platform very close to the vest.

I would be greatly surprised if Kotor 3 was not developed for the the next gen system, whether as a launch title or not. When a new system comes out, it's the initial game lineup that moves machines out the door at the top dollar price. Kotor 3 is the kind of title that would automatically move a lot of systems, especially for those who wouldn't normally consider buying a new system. If Microsoft and Lucasarts were smart - and they are - they would release a next gen version either at launch or shortly thereafter, and make it exclusive to the new system for at least six months. It's a superb marketing and sales opportunity, that only a fool would ignore. Lucasarts and Microsoft may be many things, but they are not fools.

And if it isn't a launch title, then two to three years from now everyone will be devleoping for the new platform anyway. I'd say the chances of us seeing a Kotor 3 for the current Xbox platform are slim to none. Could be wrong, but will be surprised if this is the case.

Whether fans liked the decision or not, the vast majority would save up for it anyway, and run right out and buy a new system the week Kotor 3 was released.

If I was a betting man I would put my money on Obsidian eventually developing Kotor III, but there is no reason to believe that they are already doing so. But in any case, I hope in future titles by Obsidian you dont have that feeling alot was unfinished like you do in Kotor II.

• 2 weeks later...
"J00r bugz R maKING me MAD!!!1!!! J00 guys muzt B stoopid!!111!! O ya, I Love yor Game!!1 Now make MOre!!11!!"

man, cruising forums just makes me hate gamers.  Posts like this that are just knee-jerk, un-informed crap just make me wish i had gotten into police work or gone to lawschool instead of going into games.

I bet OB developers just do a dance of unadulterated joy when they come across a post like this.

Flaming doesn't help the situation either. But he does have good and valid points. The game was rushed (or appears to be). There are gaping holes in the storyline (Which I can show you evidence of if you like). The game is good,but could have been so much better (and made more money). And he just doesn't want his beloved franchise to be rushed again.

The first poster is only guilty of two things, assuming obsidian was going to make kotor3 and bad grammer/spelling. Apart from that, I agree with him.

well, my problem is:

1) LA provided all of the QA and set the ship date.

2) Stuff gets cut from games all the time due to time constraints, balance, over-all sense of cohesion, and bugginess.

3) I can't recall being promised anything for this game

Done deal. If folks have problems, then flaming the forums is a waste of time and bandwidth. You don't know how the industry works and you have no idea what sort of contractual agreement OE was under with LA, so poundung your chest and proclaiming what they must do for kotor3 is just retarded.

on a side note, i actually would like to see what plot holes you found. Not so much to argue over them, but just because i'm curious and I'm wondering if i either filled in the details on my own as i went or if i just looked at them in a different light.

Edit: i realize i come across pretty harsh and i apologize. I have a pretty brutal writing style and i'm developing less nad less patience with "fans" on forums, which i need to work on.

I get agrivated because most devs houses i've worked with honestly want to make good games and are just as upset, angry, and frustrated as the fans are when publishers push dates or provide piss-poor QA support.

Just think how much it burns them when they're already pissed at LA but can't say anything at all because of contractual obligations and then log in to see "fans" flaming them for the exact reason they're pissed at LA. It's an unfair situation to them and yet folks are still completely happy dog-piling on them for **** they couldn't have changed. So, once again, i apologize for snapping but please try to see things from OE's standpoint too before you start flaming on them next time.

I appreciate your response TentamusDarkblade. Let me say I've never flamed obsidian at all. This is actually the first game I've played by obsidian (kotor2). Although maybe I should have been more clear on that I understand that they probably didn't have any say in when the game was released and I have no evidence that it was there fault. Heck, I don't have evidence it was LA's fault that the game is buggy and looks rushed with story holes in it (apart from rumors that they forced obsidian to rush it out).

I'm quite sure that OE probably had a contact with LA, I'm just saying that's really a shame and a lame deal that games have to be rushed out that are buggy and don't seem to be done. And I don't feel it's wasting bandwidth saying this at all, if someone doesn't say it, if someone doesn't speak up then it will just keep going on. Someone has to say something. Preferably with the correct grammar and not look like a idiot when he does it.(not that the first poster did). As for promises for this game, well.. we all know that marketers will pump a game up and even take or even photoshop screen shots to make them look better than the game. I'm not sure if the plot holes count as promises, but there are at least a couple of times in the game where you thought something would happen when it didn't. Although I doubt this will count as "promises".

As for my list of plot holes and stuff missing, I suggest you take a look at the spoiler fourms, where there has been evidence and much... heated conversations about missing content/plot holes/bad endings, etc. But I will list a couple off the top of my head here in no order.

1:After you reactivate HK-47 he mentions something about you having a transponder (or something) that will activate at some point and lead them to the factory/world that the other HK's are being made and he said he can't wait to get there so he can.. take care of business. This never happened in the game, and I have yet to hear from anyone to actually see it happen.

2:When the remote finishes activating the ships stuck in malchor V goto comes up to him and freezes him and says that he won't be allowed to blow up the planet when you (the PC) gives the orders. However when you play the light side the planet clearly blows up and no mention is made what happened.

3:At the end of the game the ship is banged up pretty badly and then falls into malachor V and then suddenly after kreia is deafeated the ship comes zooming out. What happened there?

4:What happened to all of your friends? Yes, kreia talked about them a little. But were they okay after the crash landing? Were they with you in the ship? There is no mention of any of this as I recall.

5:Kreia said she would give you options at the end of the game, you could stay there and wait or you could fly off with a shuttle that was orbiting the planet. This choice was never given to the player.

There are lots more, I just can't recall the specifics. But honestly, after the dantoonie council where the jedi are killed the story line feels really rushed and forced (pardon the pun). Not to mention none of the romances feel like they were finished with any sort of dialogue. There are lots of spots where stuff could have been explained better and some spots where I feel like, "What happened? Huh? Why am I here?"

Also, there was obviously suppose to be far more on korriban because there are already sound files for the jedi that you found dead on there. (which you can feel free to listen to if you like, the instructions are in the spoiler section). Again, just look around in the spoiler fourms... there are lots of content that was left out.

I respect where you are coming from, it just makes me angry when a beloved franchise like knights isn't handled well, or at least fleshed out correctly. Much of us here felt like this series was the rebirth of the good star wars story line and it is abhorrent to us that it was mishandled. Wether by OE, LA, or whoever. Again, I'm not placing blame as I have no evidence to do so. But I believe it is aparent that it was mishandled and that upsets me. And I hope it doesn't happen in the future. And we all know there will be a kotor3... sooner or later. For the xbox or the xbox 12. :(

Obsidian's not currently developing KotOR III....apparently.

They're keeping quiet over the whole issue of KOTOR3, and I don't blame them. Successful companies like Bethesda and Ensemble never announce their games until they are a fair way ahead into making it. When TES IV: Oblivion was announced, Beth said they had been making it right from when Morrowind had been released.

Well, here is how I see it. Obsidian, your making games because you love them, right? Then make it show in your games, reguardless of if the company is at stake. If you really love making games then you should be willing to sacrifice yourselves for it, or else what point is there in releasing a game that is lower quality than you know it can be? If Lucas Arts or any other publisher attempts to rush you then ignore them, because if they drop you as the game's developer it still won't be on time anyway. It basically narrows down the choices to let you develop it at your own pace, or give it to someone else and force the publisher to move the timetable back accordingly to compensate.

Either way the publisher loses if you stand your ground, and if the game is a hit then fans will demand you make the next game, and perhaps other publishers will look at the quality of work and give you more respect. Making great games should come before all else, if it doesn't then I would question your priorities as a game developer.

KotOR 3 better not be NextBox/Xbox360/Xbow2/whatever launch title, no matter who the developer is. New console should be out before end of the year and while many large development houses already have Xbox360 dev kits, 12 months is way too short time to make new cRPG for new console. Higher quality models, textures (and shadow/parallex/light/normal maps) take lot of time.

It would be best to make KotOR 3 for Xbox, Xbox360 and PC. When ? Who knows, 3rd quarter of 2006 might be good.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

they have nothing to do with how long they got to do it in.

... They uh, make the game...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.