Polish Kotor II

cheester89

:wacko: I maybe have written this before but I really want to know why ther will be ni polish version of Kotor II ? Is there any problem to translate it? I am wondering becouse there is no bigger pleasure than playing wonderful game in your motherlands language! I sure you might explain my the cause of that?

Although I cant know what goes on at LucasArts(who as publisher, decides these things) but Id say it is highly unlikely.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would get physically ill if KOTOR II was in Danish .. :-

there's no greater pleasure that playing a game, reading a book, watching a movie etc. in the original language!

but to answer your question, same as Karftan, if it's not planned now, it probably never will be! unless some polish guys makes a translated copy!? I heard that happens from time to time!

Fortune favors the bald.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Which is why I got my KotORII copy from an online shop in the UK.

I am wondering becouse there is no bigger pleasure than playing wonderful game in your motherlands language!

Hmmm, well if the translation is actually better than the original, okay - but it very rarely is. More often, localized versions of a game are rather terrible. Personally, I try to avoid translations all I can unless the original's language is something I'm not familiar with.

In most of case, the translation is terrible because bad voice acting. For example, the French voices of KotOR I were quite good, some of them bad, but the result was correct. But the English ones outperformed them (especially for Malak). A good way to avoid this is to translate only the writen parts of the game. I wonder why this is not used more. Maybe you could ask Lucas Arts to do this (translate the contents of the dialog.tlk file) or even do it by yourself. It should be quite easy to find a tool to open and modify the dialog.tlk file. Note that is will be quite a huge task.

Dubbing, in movies or games, is evil.

Subtitles are better, and understanding the original spoken language best of all.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

^ then again that not fair .. those French voice-overs have like a million light-years more experiance than half the cast of Episode I-II .. :D I mean anyone from hoboken could do a better job!

(no disrespect to McGregor or good ol' Liam, they did a great job)

Fortune favors the bald.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard that there is going to be a Polish version of the game. It's possible though, since if they wanted to just do text, just dialog.tlk would have to be translated. CD Projekt was able to do a number of Infinity Engine game translations with very little help from Bioware or Black Isle.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

I'm sure if somebody has the tool to open and edit the dialog.tlk file, it could be quite "easy" (technically speaking) to translate it in whatever occidental language as far you are fluent in English. But I don't know whether it's legal, totally forbidden or accepted as far no money is made (like any Star Wars mod for any FPS).

• 3 weeks later...

LOL! All I can think of is playing this game with the Lektor instead of new voice acting!

(Instead of dubbing on tv we've got a guy called the Lektor who reads all the characters' dialogue in a monotonous voice, no matter if they're male or female. It takes some of the heat out of passionate love scenes, IMHO. And you can still kind of hear the original dialogue, to boot)

Well this is funny, cause there was a translation of the Kotor 1, and it was rated as very good (only subtitles, no voices changed). But now LA refused to translate the second part. Strange...

Personally I think the money has to be the cause. At the beginning when kotor 1 shown up in english it cost 169 zł, after translation 99 zł That's a big diffrence.