Gamespot Rumor: Troika shutting its doors

Gryphcon

You can count the number of Xbox games I own on one hand. I expect they did some research on the numbers of HDTV's and found it wasnt cost effective as a marketing tool.

I'm not going to defend MS anyway  ;)

I dont mind delayed releases myself. The benifit is that you know if something is technically sound (in the case of PC games most have been patched by the time they are released here).

Some delays dont make a lot of sense sometimes, KOTOR II for example. Based on what I've heard about it I plan to rent rather than buy. But I again I see that as a benifit to me , although a small one considering I can return any console software I dont like anyway.

KOTOR II is still in the top 10 of most pre order lists.It should do ok because most people are blissfuly unaware of the problems. Which I would hope are fixed by now.

Well the new PS2 and the GC both ship with external power supplies.

Thank you so much for not defending them :p

I find the HDTV issue really annoying as LCD TV's are really kicking off here, they have full high-res support and it just don't make any sense to start cutting features from the machines. Leave them in.

I'm not really sure what to make of your external power supply comment: I have a Nintendo GC; are you saying that if I went to the US, all I'd have to do is buy a US (original) GC powersupply and then I'd be able to use the console just fine?

Having played KotOR2(yes, my Box is modded so I pulled it outta the aether) I can definately recommend a rental before plucking down

If you haven't yet purchased Vampire: Bloodlines, this should dissuade you from buying it. With Troika's demise I doubt there will be any future patches (especially the much-needed performance improvements and further bug fixes) for the title.

Even if Troika isn't 'dead' the entire Bloodlines team got laid off. Good luck finding a new patch.

That's the only part of Troika going down I care about. Oh well...

Last time I checked combat was in first person.

Check again.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't buy this thing about Troika going down because of their making buggy games. Buggy games didn't stop Bethesda and Black Isle from being successful companies. Bethsoft made the buggiest games I've ever played and they're still around. As for Black Isle, both the Fallouts and Torment were quite buggy games.

I don't know why Activision pulled funding, but it can't have been just because of bugs.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Timmy is great designer, but his programming/management skills are not that good. You just can't release buggy game after another and expect everything to be smooth.

If Timmy still stays in computer biz, please leave programming to someone else. I think same goes for Jesse Reynolds and Steve Moret (or at least take enough time to write clean code).

It's sad to see Troika go. I'm still going to buy Vampire:Bloodlines, even if they never fix the bugs. Even with bugs, it's bargain bin quality (needless to say that without bugs, it would be "buy right away at retail price" material).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Last time I checked combat was in first person.

Actually, if you are holding a melee weapon, after the combat starts it automatically switches to third person. You can also use guns in third person, but the accuracy is... even worse than when in first person.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Oh well, with any hope members of Troika will get hired on te Fallout team at Bethesda.

If Bethesda would pick up the core Troika members (Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson), that would indeed rise my hope for a decent Fallout 3.....as long they are hired mainly as designers and not as programmers. ;)

Kinda starting to feel like that next "golden age" is always another year away.

The "Golden Age" has come and gone - and is unlikely to be reborn anytime soon. It's time we deal with it, kumquatq.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not losing sleep at night, but damn it is it that hard to make a solid rpg nowadays?

Of course it's not that hard...it's just that nobody is willing to get off the beaten path.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I don't buy this thing about Troika going down because of their making buggy games. Buggy games didn't stop Bethesda and Black Isle from being successful companies. Bethsoft made the buggiest games I've ever played and they're still around. As for Black Isle, both the Fallouts and Torment were quite buggy games.

But, troika has made only buggy games, nothing else. It kinda gives them bad rep.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Can't say that I'm sad about it. At least I won't be annoyed by more lying advertisements claiming Troika made Fallout. I'm surprised they haven't been sued over that.

I'm sure there are some really nice people who will have their personal/financial lives completely upended by this, and for them I have sympathy. But my experience with Troika personnel (years ago, granted) is that they were arrogant, incredibly rude, and refused to take responsibility for even the most blatantly stupid of their *cough* "design decisions". Talk about a bunch of blame-mongers.

Anyway, their demise doesn't affect me one way or the other since I haven't bought a Troika game since Arcanum... and regretted buying that.

If Bethesda would pick up the core Troika members (Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason D. Anderson), that would indeed rise my hope for a decent Fallout 3.....as long they are hired mainly as designers and not as programmers. :p

Uhm, yeah, because Bethesda themselves are known for releasing bug-free games.. or not!!

Apparently, creating games with few bugs is a lost art nowadays.

When I think about it.. I can only remember ONE RPG that didn't require patching after release (not counting console RPG's)! A gold star to anyone who figures out which game that is.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uhm, yeah, because Bethesda themselves are known for releasing bug-free games.. or not!!

Hi mkreku!

Couldn't tell, played Morrowind just for about half an hour. But I heard bad things in case of bugged software too. Therefore joining their programming skills would probably leave to a game which main quest is it to get it running by selfmade patches. :p By the way, looked for Gothic in the stores here, just found Gothic 2. No Gothic 1. 8S

I can only remember ONE RPG that didn't require patching after release (not counting console RPG's)! A gold star to anyone who figures out which game that is.

Um... Megatraveller? :p"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Some of the fanboys at the Codex have started to become mad at me. Two people signed up just to insult me. How amusing.

Can't say that I'm sad about it.  At least I won't be annoyed by more lying advertisements claiming Troika made Fallout.  I'm surprised they haven't been sued over that. 

I'm sure there are some really nice people who will have their personal/financial lives completely upended by this, and for them I have sympathy.  But my experience with Troika personnel (years ago, granted) is that they were arrogant, incredibly rude, and refused to take responsibility for even the most blatantly stupid of their *cough* "design decisions".  Talk about a bunch of blame-mongers. 

Anyway, their demise doesn't affect me one way or the other since I haven't bought a Troika game since Arcanum... and regretted buying that.

Right on the money. The buck stops here, folks.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Timmy is great designer, but his programming/management skills are not that good. You just can't release buggy game after another and expect everything to be smooth.

If Timmy still stays in computer biz, please leave programming to someone else. I think same goes for Jesse Reynolds and Steve Moret (or at least take enough time to write clean code).

It's sad to see Troika go. I'm still going to buy Vampire:Bloodlines, even if they never fix the bugs. Even with bugs, it's bargain bin quality (needless to say that without bugs, it would be "buy right away at retail price" material).

Tim cain is a crappy designer. The rules and combat system of arcanum was completely whacked, a retarded child could have come up with a better system. What kind of stupid system gives you 1 point when you level up to distribute amongst god knows how many skills, stats and other things? Who came up with the retarded design idea of making guns do almost no damage, or making them useless by allowing enemies to run up to you in 1 turn? Its purely horrible design.

Who came up with the idea of making the towns of temple of elemental evil completely bland and lifeless? Who came up with those pain in the ass quests? And I simply cant imagine how much stupidity it takes in order to design the identify spell to only tell the name of an item and not what it does.

I think its good that troika will disappear. It is better to have no rpgs coming out than for me to waste my money on crappy rpgs because even though i know they are crap and probably wont play them i still end up wasting my money on them due to my desperation for rpgs to play.

Arcanum's rules and combat system were two of the things that deterred me from playing the game beyond the DMC dungeons. It didn't help that I had too few followers, specialized in guns and had most of the monsters in that place immune to my attacks. Those dungeons really screw you over for choosing guns.

edit: BMC dungeons

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Some of the fanboys at the Codex have started to become mad at me. Two people signed up just to insult me. How amusing.

Slap them down :)

Right on the money. The buck stops here, folks.

While I blame many of the faults of TOEE on Atari... every other (all of 2 right) game that was flawed is without a doubt squarely on their shoulders.

So while I'm sad to see them go... I can't say I'm that surprised.

like others have alluded to, im not sad to see them go per se, but rather a little sad to see another rpg developer go out of business. but the fact they continually blamed their publisher (directly or indirectly) for any flaws in their games was enough for me to not lose sleep over their demise.

maybe obsidian can pick up their talented developers/programmers so that obsidian will have enough staff to work on their third title. >_<

If they fold, I wonder who keeps the rights to Arcanum.

I actually liked the setting.

That's an easy one. VU. They've always had it, as it never belonged to Troika even though they developed it.

Exitium