Favorite PnP games?

Darque

Currently, it's D&D 3.x (3.5 for the most part, though with some 3.0 rules, and several house rules, including my d10 less-thiefy ranger), set in the Eberron campaign world (specifically around Sharn).

How well does that system work?

I've looked at the Eberron main book, and it looks interesting :)

Really good, actually. We're all rather burnt-out on the Tolkien-lite traditional fantasy, so the noir aspect of Eberron really spices things up. The Action Points work nicely, though I wasn't sure about them at first. Probably the biggest problem, though, is getting people to play something other than gnomes (Eberron has a gnomish assassin guild funded by the gnomish government), shifters, and warforged. My players love the new races, and no one has the same take on them, so they're all different.

I play D&D, but my fave is Call of Cthulhu.

Call of Cthulu (Nice setting for one shot sessions)

Well, my last campaign lasted over a year, 2 sessions a fortnight. One of my friends shot me so I haunted him until he went insane and ate his own eyeballs. Good times, man, good times.

Definitly Changeling: the Dreaming. All other favorites come and go...but I always go back to CHangeling sooner or later.

But..that's the setting... I rarely use the game's original mechanics. I always use mechanics of Riddle of Steel for Fantasy and FengShui for more over-the top settings. Right now I'm finishing campaign set in CowboyBebop-like SF setting that I ran on FengShui mechanics... and I'm slowly preparing for release of Game of Thrones RPG, which I will run using TROS system >_<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Although I'd probably play a Fallout pen and paper RPG if it used SPECIAL and was done right (ie. if the entire original Fallout 1 / 2 crew got together and came up with it. Fat chance but one can hope).

There is a Fallout PnP system, but IMO it has far too many extraneous weapons, and an entirely useless section on vehicle combat. Come on, how many people in a post-apocalyptic world are going to be doing dogfights in ultra-light aircraft? <_< Otherwise, it works close enough to the original game IMO. My group has done one campaign with it, and we're planning for a second one in the future.

As far as White Wolf, their only game I've played is Aberrant, which is frankly the best setting I have ever seen published on paper. It rocks.

I also like Amber, though it takes a group where every person is a veteran expert role (as opposed to roll) player. Sadly, that's not my current group.

Oooooo Amber I had forgot about that one, brilliant gamedesign there in the no dice system. Zelasnys world is realy cool too, unfortunetly gameing in book related worlds can be a bit restrictive ;)

Game system: GURPS - no question. The Star Trek ICON system (by Last Unicorn Games) had some merit, as does White Wolf's Storyteller system, particularly in Exalted, but GURPS is without question the best system around - no restrictive, stupid rules and no inflexible class-system that won't allow me to create the character I want to. In GURPS I can build exactly the character I want to.

Campaign: Well, I've been around a lot of games, so it's difficult to say. My classic campaign (which I still run with AD&D 2e rules) is Mystara (the original OD&D Known World campaign). For atmospheric and tense role-playing, however, there is no second to Call of Cthulhu. I like science fiction too, so I've enjoyed role-playing both Star Trek and Star Wars games, no matter which rules they use (though I like the current rules for both games least of all...). Ars Magica is also an excellent game, and I'm currently enjoying White Wolf's Exalted game a lot as a player.

in no particular order

-d20 star wars. the kotor inspired campaign i'm gm-ing at the moment is the longest running thing we've had in a while, oddly enough.

-d&d 3.5

-mutants & masterminds. for what it's worth, for as much as the idea makes sense, i can't stand "step" damage systems. where as you get damaged, your abilities decrease. makes sense, just doesn't work with us. gimme hp's any day.

-the buffy/angel rpg setting, forget the name for the rules. another one with a goofy damage system though. it's utterly insane that certain character types, when they take lethal damage, make a roll. you pass, you stay up. you take another hit, you roll again, then if you fail, roll to pass out etc. assuming we even have the rules right to begin, theoretically some things can make it to past negative 150 life. :(

honorable mention to

-aberrant. we started playing this in anticipation of the last marvel rpg that came out, but for some reason, dropped it like the plague.

-the last marvel rpg they released. points for trying a diceless system, even if the rest of the rules sucked.

-deadlands. i absolutely LOVE this setting. and for as cool as the idea was to use a real deck of cards to determine spellcasting, maybe it's just us, but the rules sunk in.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a big D&D nut, but anymore it's all the same to me. I think I just out played it or somthing. I have no Desire to even look at another D&D book every again. Unfortuantly 3.0 also turned me off to the D20 system as a whole. D20 Games seem like D&D with a new wraper to me.

One Game I loved and would love to find a group for again was Deadlands! I can't belive it wasnt mentioned! Speghetti western meets fantasy sci-fi! Actually we most played it as a Spaghetti western and just left all the monsters and crap out of it. It was probably one of the best times I had with Role Playing P&P games.

Currently I play the hell out of Bloodbowl. Thats as close as I get to P&P games, and there is no role playing involved.

One Game I loved and would love to find a group for again was Deadlands! I can't belive it wasnt mentioned! Speghetti western meets fantasy sci-fi! Actually we most played it as a Spaghetti western and just left all the monsters and crap out of it. It was probably one of the best times I had with Role Playing P&P games.

*ahem*

-deadlands. i absolutely LOVE this setting. and for as cool as the idea was to use a real deck of cards to determine spellcasting, maybe it's just us, but the rules never sunk in.

;)

;)

Deck of cards for spellcasting?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Deck of cards for spellcasting?

hoo boy. going by memory here, but i'll do my best to explain.

long story short, "arcane spellcasting" in deadlands was heavily tied to poker. prof hoyle was a game enthusiast and occultist, and he traveled the world, writing Hoyle's Book of Games. the book served as a manual for poker, but hoyle also used various codes and tricks to hide his arcane secrets in the books. some picked up on it, and the popular method to actually "cast" the spells was to mentally duel a demon in a game, poker being the popular method.

in the game mechanics, the arcane spells had varying effects, based on poker hand rankings. (minimal high card to a flush or whatever) higher levels spells required higher rankings to even work (full house minimum, for example).

you could get bonuses and penalties to how many cards you could draw. when the time came, you drew a hand, and if you met the requirements, the spell was cast.

You also "played" Cards against the GM for Initiative within a turn for normal combat. There was all kinds of cool stuff like that. You would be awarded poker chips throughout the game for various things which you could use for "luck" points. Basicly giving you a chance to change the out come of an event or some such thing. It was very original. I like how the Ammo was counted too. Damage was based around Location and severity not hit points. So even if you were the best gun fighter out there, you could always die with a well placed bullet. (and then come back from the dead as a zombie like person).

Very cool. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It just has to be Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

Sadly, I have not had a group that shares my interest in Anime for quite some time. Barring that, nothin' beats good ol' D&D.

EDIT: On second thought, I totally loved Ninja Burger. Ninja Burger frickin kicked ass. All one session of it that I played.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!