Favorite PnP games?

Darque

Legend of the Five Rings (A carryover from my long forgotten CCG days, but the setting is fun)

I played a little L5R and thought it was pretty fun. I made a Unicorn shugenja from the Moto family. I shamelessly powergamed him by taking Alternate School: Phoenix, giving him a starting Void of 4.

His name was Moto Arif, but after blowing up a Scorpion bushi he was (out of character) called "Moto Explodo".

OMG :) that's too cool :D

I'm kinda surprised at the powergaming though :ermm: I thought developers were supposed to be about balance :p :D

I would say that the best rule system designers are the powergamers (or at least the people that could minimax alot if they wanted) since they are the people that tend to notice the flaws and loopholes in a system.

I've been spending a lot of time in the new World of Darkness lately, mostly with mortal PCs so far, but the focus is quickly shifting towards Vampire: The Requiem material now that one of my PCs has managed to stumble far enough into the world's underbelly to get embraced. I'm really enjoying the new setting, moreso even than the old WoD--an opinion many a White Wolf fan has given me crap about :p

I also have a soft spot for Rifts. I always felt the alien overmind angle they went with for vampires was a little weak and leaned too far towards the sci-fi end of the spectrum for my tastes, but you've gotta love zipping around in near Earth orbit, ready for action with a Boom Gun mounted on your shoulder... *drifts off into fond memories of his rail gun of a boom stick*

I'm kinda surprised at the powergaming though ;) I thought developers were supposed to be about balance  :p  :D

In some of the campaigns I played in, I would make the most unbalanced character possible just to see how out-of-whack the system could get. GURPS, Palladium, and L5R all made it laughably easy.

That is why I stopped using GURPS for my campaigns. FUZION is the same way as well. So far the best system for my campaign setting is d20 Modern, though I am sure a better one will eventually come along. Writing a full player's guide for the campaign is quite time consuming however.

Paranoia was one of my Favs. We had a great GM for it. Dice who needs dice. The computer is your friend and everyones happy. :D

That game needs a good gm. It was good for fun, but not for serious roleplaying. Well, at least with our gm.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm kinda surprised at the powergaming though ;) I thought developers were supposed to be about balance  :p  :D

In some of the campaigns I played in, I would make the most unbalanced character possible just to see how out-of-whack the system could get. GURPS, Palladium, and L5R all made it laughably easy.

Gurps... that's a horrible system in my opinion :wacko: Gave me nightmares just reading it :wacko: Read like stereo instructions :unsure:

Palladium/Rifts are pretty neat settings, but yeah, it's powergamer heaven without a doubt :wacko: I think one of the problems is the fact that since they have to keep making new books for each "sub-setting" and when they do they have to keep "raising the bar" to keep things interesting.... >_<

L5R... well... yeah. I have to admit I played it more for the setting and less for the system, but the system did allow for the creation of some obscene characters :wacko:

I suddenly feel inspired, I may do some tinkering and see what kind of "megamunchkins" I can make :)

Honorable Mentions

Rifts (nice multigenre game that's not really that multigenre except cosmetically.. still fun though)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (defintely not your garden variety hobbit game)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, the only game I played with FR, but here the humans aren't as pathetic as in other games :thumbsup:

PRIUS FLAMMIS COMBUSTA QUAM ARMIS NUMANCIA VICTA

My favorite PnP campaign ever was the Champions campaign I played(and sometimes ran) back in college. That game did superheroing right, though it could be a balance nightmare if the GM didn't really keep an eye on builds.

We used the West Coast of Marvel Earth for the game, so plenty of cameo opportiunities. A couple of PCs took mercenary jobs with a rent-a-supervillain organization, and ended up fighting the X-Men.

A disadavantage that is not a disadvantage is not worth any points.

If someone buys handicap no legs -25 points. And then buys extra limbs legs +5 points they dont get any points for the disadvantage...

Darque has actually played a system that I havnt :thumbsup:

My favourites. Pendragon and MERP (played with the Rolemaster system).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Which one?

I've actually played quite a few RPGs, a friend of mine (the one who ran them) had a bajillion of them.... and liked to try a new one each week :thumbsup:

7th Sea

I've played 100's of the things too. Thats why it's rare to come across one I've never played.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

A disadavantage that is not a disadvantage is not worth any points.

If someone buys handicap no legs -25 points. And then buys extra limbs legs +5 points they dont get any points for the disadvantage...

Some of my favorite rulebook language ever. Like they had to tell GMs not to do that.

My favorite unbalanced build is the flying brick. Strength is free under the system (you get more points back in the figured characteristics than you spend for the strength). Just take enough Flight and you don't need a ranged attack, which is the main disadvantage of a STR-only character.

I've played in the Palladium System so long I have begun to enjoy it. I do not understand how everybody can love d20. I cannot, for the life of me, bring myself to like it. In the D&D setting, they took the most powerful creature from AD&D and made it easier to kill. The original Monsterous Manual said all creatures fear this beast. Yes Beast is singular because there was only one of them. The creature you ask? The Terrasque. Look at the D20 system and this Horrific creature has been tuned down, and I just cannot bring myself to like that.

AD&D 1'st, 2'nd, and 3'rd Editions. Although I haven't really played for a couple years.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Vampire: The Dark Ages. Really the only one of White Wolf Studios' RPGs that I liked, although Werewolf seemed cool. I just didn't dig the Masquerade...I guess I don't enjoy modern day RPG's when it comes to pen and paper. I like stuff that takes place in old times with swords and armor, etc. Although I'd probably play a Fallout pen and paper RPG if it used SPECIAL and was done right (ie. if the entire original Fallout 1 / 2 crew got together and came up with it. Fat chance but one can hope).

Which one?

I've actually played quite a few RPGs, a friend of mine (the one who ran them) had a bajillion of them.... and liked to try a new one each week :)

7th Sea

I've played 100's of the things too. Thats why it's rare to come across one I've never played.

You MUST try it :D

Currently, it's D&D 3.x (3.5 for the most part, though with some 3.0 rules, and several house rules, including my d10 less-thiefy ranger), set in the Eberron campaign world (specifically around Sharn).

How well does that system work?

I've looked at the Eberron main book, and it looks interesting :wub:

AD&D 1'st, 2'nd, and 3'rd Editions. Although I haven't really played for a couple years.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Vampire: The Dark Ages. Really the only one of White Wolf Studios' RPGs that I liked, although Werewolf seemed cool. I just didn't dig the Masquerade...I guess I don't enjoy modern day RPG's when it comes to pen and paper. I like stuff that takes place in old times with swords and armor, etc. Although I'd probably play a Fallout pen and paper RPG if it used SPECIAL and was done right (ie. if the entire original Fallout 1 / 2 crew got together and came up with it. Fat chance but one can hope).

Does he count?

(look at the very bottom of the linked page)

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle