Whatever you think of NWN, it's music is well-done

Am I the only one who, every once in awhile, pulls up the Editor just to listen to some of the ambient music?

Especially from Hordes of the Underdark. Great stuff, very atmospheric.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

i dunno.  i get tired of listening to the tavern music.  that whole (what instrument is it?) violin or harp or guitar thing "da da da, da da da, da da da da da da" repeat...

Well, ok, some NWN music.

The tavern music did get old pretty quickly. I'm thinking the more epic stuff, like the HotU theme music or the music in Waterdeep.

Some of the HOTU stuff was fine. NWN and SOU, like their oc's, were poor to mediocre at best.

Really, HotU is what I'm talking about....though I generalized because I landed on 'Forest Night' and thought, 'Hey, this is pretty good.' :)

Who did HotU's music, anyway? It has a much different feel than the original music.

do the module makers not have access to these music that you are referring to?  most of the modules ive played have the same music as nwn oc, especially that tavern song.

They should have access to it. I'm no mod maker, but I'm listening to it from the editor.

HotU had very nice music.

NWN had some nice tracks (such as the Forest Boss), and a lot of it was too.... generic.

Definetely true. HotU really impressed me, while NWN followed what I consider a standard Jeremy Soule trend of having a few really cool tracks surrounded by a mass of generic crap.

"Meh." is all I had to say about the music. Nothing really seemed to stand out.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Quite frankly, NWN's music is awesome. Very few games match it. FF8, Arcanum, and some of the IE music is about it. Madden 2005, and a few other games are also pretty good.

For NWN, the dragon music, the various boss music, the desert music, and the ruins music are all top notch.

The forest, city, and tavern music are okay. Not great and just there; but ok. Can't win 'em all though.

But, whatever. I';m just a stupid BIoware NWN fanboy so my opinion doens't count on the cool and superior Obsidan boards.

WOO HOO!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But, whatever. I';m just a stupid BIoware NWN fanboy so my opinion doens't count on the cool and superior Obsidan boards.

WOO HOO!

That's getting really old, Volourn, and I wish you'd stop. Though I disagree with your opinon that the NWN soundtrack is one of the best ever, that's just a matter of personal preference, not due at all to your self-imposed status as "stupid BIoware NWN fanboy". I haven't even seen anyone call you that in quite a while.

To the subject at hand...

I found Soule's work on NWN to be less than inspiring. Sure, HotU was pretty good, but IMO it pales in comparison to the soundtracks that he did for the original Icewind Dale (the Kuldahar theme is one of my all-time favorites, with its haunting melodies) and Dungeon Siege (I found the entire DS soundtrack to be inspiring). Of course, if you want to talk good game soundtracks, you have to talk about MGS3; Harry Gregson-Williams does a score for that game that surpasses by far his work on The Rock and The Replacement Killers. If you haven't heard it, it's worth finding and listening to.

"That's getting really old, Volourn, and I wish you'd stop."

I wish a lot of things would happen; but alas they don't.

"Though I disagree with your opinon that the NWN soundtrack is one of the best ever, that's just a matter of personal preference,"

That's fair.

"I haven't even seen anyone call you that in quite a while."

A. You aren't looking hard enough.

B. The comment wasn't neccessarily directed at me eprsonally; but the absolutely superiorty of Obsidna baord members who are so much cooler than BIO board members.

R00fles!

"Sure, HotU was pretty good, but IMO it pales in comparison to the soundtracks that he did for the original Icewind Dale (the Kuldahar theme is one of my all-time favorites, with its haunting melodies)"

IWD's music was solid; but to be honest outside of the final battle music; it was horribly unmemorable. I insatntly recognize NWN's music when I hear it - then again, I play the game a lot so heh; I'm used to it. <>

"Dungeon Siege (I found the entire DS soundtrack to be inspiring)"

Sadly, I didn't play DS long enough to row to appreciate its music; but from little I heard it was definitely alright.

Yeah, that came across a bit harsher than I intended. Apologies, Volo. As to the board rivalry, I prefer these boards to Bio's boards (in my experience, the Bio boards are more restrictive than the WotC boards, and that's saying quite a bit), but don't think that posters are inherently better or worse at either board.

I can't believe that you didn't like IWD's soundtrack! Philistine! I only played through the game once, and I still recognized its music when Interplay put some in for BG:DA2. That opening bit at the load screen just gets my adrenaline pumping.

"can't believe that you didn't like IWD's soundtrack! "

Hey, now. Read this part again: "IWD's music was solid"

How do you go from me saying the IWD music was solid to me now liking it? Weird..

"Apologies, Volo"

Please don't that. I'm the last person who can get away with accusing others of being harsh when I'm often really harsh myself more often than not. :thumbsup:

"As to the board rivalry, I prefer these boards to Bio's boards (in my experience, the Bio boards are more restrictive than the WotC boards, and that's saying quite a bit), "

Never posted there. Only saw links to people discussingwhat happens whena dwarf rapes an orc or stupid crap like that. Not my key. I argue enough about D&D rules on PC D&D boards; the last thing i need is to partifipate on aboard dedicated to arguing about anal stuff like that as apr for the course.

I do agree that BIO has less of a toelrance when it comes to flaming/trolling/etc. but with as many mmebers they have i can see why. Remember, technically, their rules really ar eno differerent than obsidian's. the only difference is that unlike Obsidian they will enforce their rules. (I'm glad Obsidian doesn't myself :D ). Thena agin, my posting style on the two baords is pretty much the same and if I can geta wya with posting in a rduish matter on BIO; almost anyone should. just don't cross a certain line.

My biggest beef with BIo's baords is that they are relatively slow. Annoying indeed.