NFL Playoffs

Carth Vader

Rothlisberger for president!

I'd say for choke artist of the year, but Doug Brien has already won that. <_<

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I've really lost interest in the NFL over the past few years. Heck, all professional sports are getting to me. Too much money, no heart. I prefer college, though in 10 years it will be as bad as the NFL is now.

Beyond that, GO EAGLES. Always go against the team that has won the most recently.

Well, that was a huge disappointment.  Still, Roethlisberger did wonderfully for a rookie.

Being in the AFC North (Bengals Fan), I knew Roethlisberger wouldn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Well, that was a huge disappointment.  Still, Roethlisberger did wonderfully for a rookie.

I guess, but his mistakes ultimately killed them. Scratch that, his mistakes made sure they didn't have a chance.

I have to wonder what Maddux does if they had put him in. I guess you have to wonder is it better to build Roes confidence for the future, or to give yourself the best shot to win.

I have to wonder what Maddux does if they had put him in. I guess you have to wonder is it better to build Roes confidence for the future, or to give yourself the best shot to win.

I agree with Cower's (sp?) choice, you've got to keep the rookie in. After all he's done, you know he is the future of the franchise.

I am torn about the Super Bowl. I've hated the Pats ever since Bledsoe was there, but I can't stand the Eagles either. I'll probably be pulling for Philli, going against my Colt's AFC.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

My god, as much as I don't want the Pats winning again, Owens must be prevented from getting a ring and defiling the trophy

What a hater, for some one who has never been in any trouble on or off the field and in the case of Ray Lewis, didn't kill two people, people really hate T.O. Ofcourse alot of people couldn't stand that Monday Night Football sketch because it had a white woman with a black man, its unfortant that we live in such times

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

My god, as much as I don't want the Pats winning again, Owens must be prevented from getting a ring and defiling the trophy

What a hater, for some one who has never been in any trouble on or off the field and in the case of Ray Lewis, didn't kill two people, people really hate T.O. Ofcourse alot of people couldn't stand that Monday Night Football sketch because it had a white woman with a black man, its unfortant that we live in such times

I don't think it was because of their race, it was the whole skit that ticked people off.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

I don't think it was because of their race, it was the whole skit that ticked people off.

Notice I didn't say everyone, or even a majority, but the truth is there would be less outrage if the sketch had been done as originally intended, with John Madden instead of T.O.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Notice I didn't say everyone, or even a majority, but the truth is there would be less outrage if the sketch had been done as originally intended, with John Madden instead of T.O.

1. If you were trying to paste that label on me, **** you.

2. It would have been less offense to people if it was Madden, but largely because a fat guy was doing it. If you had the ex-fattie gumble (or is one of them still fat?), you would have gotten a similar reaction as Madden. I guess you can argue America has a problem with fat people being seen as funny and disarming. Plus, lets face it, how Madden and TO would have treated the part is a little different. Thats the main difference. I didn't particualry mind it, but I can see how people with kids did.

To a degree, color plays into it, but I doubt to the degree you think.

What a hater, for some one who has never been in any trouble on or off the field and in the case of Ray Lewis, didn't kill two people, people really hate T.O.

I think it's VERY VERY VERY sad that an athlete can apparently do anything he wants, short of having murder charges leveled against him of course :geek: , and I can't comment or I'm a "hater". **** that, I'll be a hater.

I prefer my athletes to have a degree of down to earth-ness. A la Brett Farve, Micheal Vick, Walter Payton, Steve McNair, or hell, a Jeff Garcia to a degree. Just play the game right.

By "right" I mean, don't argue with your coach on the sidelines, don't consider your stats as much as you consider actually winning the game, don't try too, on numerous occasions, to comment on the sexuality of your ex-QB (regardless of what it actually is), don't screw teams over because you don't feel you have to honor your contract, don't celebrate in the endzone like you will never score again, it's the superbowl, and you just scored with no help. Going out of your way to pull attention to yourself like that is pathetic, when you have a whole team that made that touchdown possible.

Do all that out of respect for those who played before, and I have yet to see an old vet approve of the way TO plays (hell, deion sanders had his reservations, what does that tell you)

But to sum up owens, I think I'll just use his latest quote:

"God is healing me"

Thats right, the man believes himself soooo important that god is healing him to allow him to play in the Super Bowl. God killed 160,000 with a tidal wave, but god wouldn't allow TO to miss the big game......

I'm not putting any labels on anyone. The only thing that I can kind of agree with you is the Jeff Garcia thing, but he just answered a question that he shouldn't have and then admittily much later, apologized about it, but I don't see you inditing the playboy reporter who ask the question. I'd bet you don't even know his name.

And as for Deon Sanders (a man who believe god saved him when his car went over a cliff) he's probaly mad that he didn't think of the whole sharpie thing first. And I've heard all those athletes you mention talk about how they would like to thank god for giving them the talent to such and such.

My favorite pro athlete is Hakeem Olajuwon, a model for professionalism and virtue. The man at one time wouldn't sign a major shoe contract because he wanted the less fortunant to be able to afford them, how much does Michael Vick's shoes cost again? Never did I hear him talk about how great he was and he suffered for it, someone who is atleast the second greatest center of alltime and the best defensive player ever, never gets mentioned when they talk about the alltime greatest. So when an athlete doesn't follow suit I don't blame them

You guys forget about TO and his standing on the Dallas Star (or whatever it was, I've forgotten as it's been so long ago) after scoring both touchdowns. The sharpie thing was no big deal he was just trying to get some attention, who cares? The thing he did in Dallas was disrespectful to the whole Dallas franchise, along with it being disrespectful to the NFL in general. I'm not a Dallas fan, but I was even shocked that that happened. If I was a Dallas player I would have beat the living heck out of him on the field.

Randy Moss, and his mooning of the Green Bay crowd is another example of disrespect. Crap like that shouldn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The only thing that I can kind of agree with you is the Jeff Garcia thing, but he just answered a question that he shouldn't have and then admittily much later, apologized about it, but I don't see you inditing the playboy reporter who ask the question. I'd bet you don't even know his name.

No, but I don't subscribe to playboy, so I am obviously not support them. Much like I don't support TO. Not to meantion what else has that reported done? Nothing that anyone knows of. TO repeatedly is, because of his own actions, is in the center of some issue.

but wait a minute.......you think TO was justified in all his several temper tantrums on the 49ers sidelines? Yelling and getting in the faces of the coaches and other players? Then holding out when he was traded under contract, because of his own mistakes, which he made an innocent team pay for? You thought it was funny when he ran (twice) onto the Dallas star like he single handedly scored those two touchdowns?

I'm proud of the Eagles players tho, because they won the game they brought TO in to help them get past, without TO. So basically, he's done nothing for this team that they couldn't have done by themselves (and have done in years past).

And as for Deon Sanders (a man who believe god saved him when his car went over a cliff) he's probaly mad that he didn't think of the whole sharpie thing first.

Deion is another guy I could go on about, but that wasn't my point. My point was, as bad as deion is, TO is on a whole other level.

And I've heard all those athletes you mention talk about how they would like to thank god for giving them the talent to such and such.

They thank god after winning the super bowl, usually for "giving me the courage/strength", which is still retarded in my eyes, but I can understand it since the players are overcome with emotion and it's almost cliche at this point. But to think god is helping your ankle heal a little quicker so you can play in the super bowl is again on another level. That isn't, by any means, damning by itself. It's just another straw on the camels back. You have to wonder if TO finds a dollar on the street, does he stop and thank god.

how much does Michael Vick's shoes cost again?

You should look into how much charity work Vick does before you make such an ignorant comment. That guy is a hell of a human being on and off the field.

Not to meantion Hakeem doesn't quite understand that him not signing a contract prolly won't make that particular shoe, forget shoes in general, any less expensive. But I understand the thought was in the right place.

Never did I hear him talk about how great he was and he suffered for it, someone who is atleast the second greatest center of alltime and the best defensive player ever, never gets mentioned when they talk about the alltime greatest. So when an athlete doesn't follow suit I don't blame them

He gets meantioned with the great centers all the time, but if you want to talk basketball, Tim Duncan (hell the spurs in general) are players I love to watch. Tim Duncan is everything TO is not.

Thats also why I'm so proud of my Bulls right now. They play like a team.

In closing, TO is a punk. My favorite memory of him is when the Bears scored a touchdown to win the game off a Mike Brown interception. This interception came when Jeff Garcia hits TO in the chest (hands) coming across the middle only to have him get leveled by Brian Urlacher and cough the ball up to Mike Brown in the closing minutes of the game.

Makes me warm just thinking about it.

You should look into how much charity work Vick does before you make such an ignorant comment. That guy is a hell of a human being on and off the field.

Yeah, you only hear about the Moss' and the Owen's of the world, never the Manning's or the Vick's. But people don't turn on thier TV to see how much charity their favorite star is doing. So be it.

Randy Moss, and his mooning of the Green Bay crowd is another example of disrespect. Crap like that shouldn

Well actually T.O. gives alot to charity, but most especially to Alzheimer's Association of which he has several benefits a year and in 2003 he even addressed congress for more funding.

And about his contract, actually he filed for free agency a week before he was suppose to, the 49ers then lied about what happen, or atleast streatched the truth a bit, then they simply could have gotten something for nothing if they had traded T.O. to the Eagles, but in a last ditch effort to "screw" him they traded him to the Ravens. It might have worked had there not been telephone records of the fax going through, and thus when they met infront of an arbitrator instead both the 49ers and Raven getting nothing they pleaded for the Eagles to give up a 5th round pick and one of there 7 DE who they probaly would have cut anyway. Gene Upshaw, a former player and president of the Players Association fully believed in T.O. case and I guess you might want to insult him next.

Well actually T.O. gives alot to charity, but most especially to Alzheimer's Association of which he has several benefits a year and in 2003 he even addressed congress for more funding.

And about his contract, actually he filed for free agency a week before he was suppose to, the 49ers then lied about what happen, or atleast streatched the truth a bit, then they simply could have gotten something for nothing if they had traded T.O. to the Eagles, but in a last ditch effort to "screw" him they traded him to the Ravens. It might have worked had there not been telephone records of the fax going through, and thus when they met infront of an arbitrator instead both the 49ers and Raven getting nothing they pleaded for the Eagles to give up a 5th round pick and one of there 7 DE who they probaly would have cut anyway. Gene Upshaw, a former player and president of the Players Association fully believed in T.O. case and I guess you might want to insult him next.

All I know is that TO was supposed to have his agent send papers to the league office as well as the 49ers. Neither went through. I suppose something could have happened with the phone lines, but don't you think you check up on something like that? "Hey NFL, did you get my message?" "No?" "OK, I'll send it again".

And the 49ers had ever right to "screw" him. They owed that man nothing. They had him under contract and they traded him. He was a cancer on their team, and they cut him out. Simple. The heal process would have bene worse if they waited.

The reason it ended like it did was simply because TO was going to hold out till he could be a free agent next season, so the Raven agreed to at least get a pick out of it.

Btw, did you expect the players association to do anything besides back up the player? Come on now. Hell, the NBA players association sided with Ron Artest. ;)

He gets meantioned with the great centers all the time, but if you want to talk basketball, Tim Duncan (hell the spurs in general) are players I love to watch. Tim Duncan is everything TO is not.

Where as I won't deny Tim Duncan is a really good player, I'm not really sure if he has taken the title "best powerforward ever" from Karl Malone, he has definitely taken the "most phantom calls" from him, but atleast he doesn't "flop at first contact". Sometimes you can't even go up for a rebound against this guy with out being called for a foul, Kobe's definitely in the arguement too. I see how the NBA wants to reward a player who has gone 4yrs. in college and is a solid citizen and all, but I live in austin and see San Antonio games all the time, and often the officiating is ridiculious. Where as you shouldn't say a player is anything less for getting favorable calles, you can say hes alittle slow footed really a center, which would move him drastically down the the list of best players at his position. I'll alway remember when he got his chance to tie the game against the Lakers and Shaq easily and cleanly blocked his shot twice in a row, but you never see that highlight anymore

Where as I won't deny Tim Duncan is a really good player, I'm not really sure if he has taken the title "best powerforward ever" from Karl Malone

Well, imo, what a power forward is/can be in the league has changed drastically. You can't really compare Garrnett, Dirk, or Duncan to Malone easily. As anyone one of those guys can play center, but usually have a "true" center on the floor with them.

and often the officiating is ridiculious.

*remembers the Jordan days* enjoy it while you can. It can be a llllllllong wait till you get those phantom calls again :-

Where as you shouldn't say a player is anything less for getting favorable calles, you can say hes alittle slow footed really a center, which would move him drastically down the the list of best players at his position.

He doesn't have the quickest feet, but he knows just how to position his body and how to move his feet well.

I'll alway remember when he got his chance to tie the game against the Lakers and Shaq easily and cleanly blocked his shot twice in a row, but you never see that highlight anymore

Doesn't mean much, Yao has blocked shaq *almost* back to back in thier third meeting of all time, iirc. No one is going to argue that Yao is better.

WTF? Tim Duncon is probably the ideal basketball player. All fundamentals, no fancy schmancy gimmicks, great shot, great handles, good defense, all ball.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta