Wandering the planescape

I got the game yesterday after the auction going thorugh the roof resulting in me having to dosh out big bucks for it.

I really enjoy it even if the massive dialouges sometimes make me feel like im playing one of those old book-adventures of the 80's

one question; do you take somekind of punishment when dying and rising again? Like Exp disapearing, traits lowered, NPC relations breaking etc?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I payed 211 SEK inlcuding shipping which is around 35dollars.

But the resurrecting oneself and others, I didnt get a manual just the CDs so I honestly dont know. Are there any harmful effects of any kind or is it just to waking up and be up and about again? Most other games Ive played has punishments for resurrection(loss of spells, ep, traits, etc.) does TNO forget things every time he dies and returns?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Uhm.. that's dumb. I didn't die even once and I fought my butt off to keep it that way. And now you're telling me you're supposed to die a few times?!

Gaah, I hate that game! :-

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Uhm.. that's dumb. I didn't die even once and I fought my butt off to keep it that way. And now you're telling me you're supposed to die a few times?!

How did you manage the journal puzzle?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You don't need to do that to get the Bronze Sphere. I guess he skipped it.

I don't really remember. I only made it as far as Underground Curst before the game bored me to tears, so perhaps it was after that?

I don't really remember. I only made it as far as Underground Curst before the game bored me to tears, so perhaps it was after that?

He's talking about the Nameless One's 'tomb' beneath Sigil, so no, you must have passed it.

And you can't skip it, so far as I know. If you just get the Bronze Sphere without exploring, Lothar just sends you right back there to get a 'skull' from your own tomb. The only way to proceed is to let yourself die several times (with the appropriate key in hand) to let the maze know it's you.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

He's talking about the Nameless One's 'tomb' beneath Sigil, so no, you must have passed it.

And you can't skip it, so far as I know. If you just get the Bronze Sphere without exploring, Lothar just sends you right back there to get a 'skull' from your own tomb. The only way to proceed is to let yourself die several times (with the appropriate key in hand) to let the maze know it's you.

I'm not sure about that. You need to get the Bronze Sphere for Pharod, who doesn't want any skulls, as far as I know. Later, when you need to get a skull for Lothar to get Morte back, you don't really have to return to the crypts to get your own skull. He also accepts Soego's skull and the skull of the wererat chief.

I think it is possible to skip the tomb, but I never tried it, so maybe the player is forced to go there at some point that I forgot.

Admitedly, I always explored the Tomb when I had my first chance - however, I'm reminded of a dialogue with Lothar after he has kidnapped Morte, where he asks TNO to venture below Sigil and explore an inaccessible tomb. Given I had always explored it beforehand, I'd usually point out to him that it was "my" (TNO's) tomb. Now, I have no idea if Pharod asks you to get a skull from there, but it seems later on Lothar asks you to go there. Although I'm not sure if it's mandatory or not, given there's several skulls you can give Lothar.

Yes, you can skip the tomb. I used the wererat skull a lot. . .I never found any skulls in my own tomb. Just notes. And that awesome, awesome spell.

Learn something new every day.

I never skipped the tomb, so I always just assumed that little dialogue with Lothar was a way to force you to visit it if you hadn't been there previously.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

After tonights playing session Im really starting to get into the game and truly appreciating it(the thing with the sensates and memory stones). It seems there isnt much to motivate you in the beginning and I can understand mkreku quitting in the middle of the catacombs.

Its difficult this, getting the player hooked right from the start without spoiling the buildup of tension and excitement that comes with discovering more of the story.

After tonights playing session Im really starting to get into the game and truly appreciating it(the thing with the sensates and memory stones). It seems there isnt much to motivate you in the beginning and I can understand mkreku quitting in the middle of the catacombs.

Its difficult this, getting the player hooked right from the start without spoiling the buildup of tension and excitement that comes with discovering more of the story.

Actually, I made it past the catacombs. Also, I thought the memory stones were the best part of the story and the only part that affected me personally. But I did trudge on, despite not getting much fun out of the game.. I reached Curst, talked to a lot of people there and was sent down to some underground place (prison perhaps?) before my harddrive crashed and I lost all my save games. I haven't bothered with it since. There's really nothing wrong with the game.. Well, except for the main character, which I dislike, the fact that noone cares that my charisma is 25 (everyone still calls me ugly) and the awful Infinity Engine (and the combat that comes with it). Other than that, I kind of like the mature feel of the game and the planes seemed interesting. If only they had let me explore them too..

Hmmm... it's true that the catacombs beneath Curst can be somewhat tedious... but nonetheless, I think Planescape: Torment is one of the most "immersive" games I've ever seen. And getting to the Final Battle (which will be more of a Final Dialogue, as everything in this game) is really worth the trouble.

But then, maybe I'm just a mindless fanboy... >_<

Actually, dying and coming back only triggers memories in one or two specific locations in the game, where you'll basically have a clear option of dying. Dying to a random thug attack in the streets of Sigil won't trigger any memories, IIRC.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Oh, if you manage to die very early in the game (let's say while you are still in the morgue), you'll get many new options what you can say to the Dustmen about how dying is like.

The strange thing with PS:T is that almost everything you do will trigger all sorts of new dialogue options, or will change your or your party-members' stats without you noticing it. That's weird. Adds to the replay-value of the game, but lets you overlook many many things during your first playthrough.

Im now in Curst and I know I have missed lots of quests and things I could have gone through because I feel they're dont belong in PsT and often just seem to be a waste of time.

In a game like Baldurs Gate, quests belong and are a part of the game. but in the bleak world of the Planes, theres just no joy in running around engaging in the petty affairs of the people there.

The Nameless One isnt about glory&adventure, he's a tormented poor sod doomed to suffer eternally unless he gets going.

The Nameless One isnt about glory&adventure, he's a tormented poor sod doomed to suffer eternally unless he gets going.

Right, but he's done so much in the past that he needs to make up for. And maybe helping a few berks in the planes is a start. But I played TNO as neutral good. Different alignment, different way of playing.