Angel has been cancelled

Iolo

Despite the rumors late last year that Angel had been confirmed for a Season 6 (as indicated by Kristen over at E!), the WB has stated that this will be the last season of Angel:

http://thewb.com/PressRelease/Index/0,8341,156980,00.html

For the last seven years Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer have been cornerstones of our network. The sum total of the work done on those shows has produced some of the proudest moments in our history. Like some of the great series that are leaving the air this year, including Frasier and Friends, the cast, crew, writers and producers of Angel deserve to be able to wrap up the series in a way befitting a classic television series and that is why we went to Joss to let him know that this would be the last year of the series on The WB. We have discussed continuing the Angel legacy with special movie events next year, which is still on the table. In a perfect world, all of these details would be completed before this information went to the press so that we could be definitive about the show's ongoing future. But in any case, we did not want to contemplate this being the last year of Angel without giving the show the option of crafting their own destiny for this character and for this series. David Boreanaz continues to be one of the finest, classiest and friendliest actors we have had the pleasure to work with and we hope that the relationship furthers from here. The same can be said for all the actors and producers on the show.

This is a disappointment because Season 5 of Angel has been doing well in the ratings (for WB) and has received critical acclaim. This season is easily better than the last few seasons of Buffy.

I suppose there's a possibility of it moving to UPN.

:(

As well, fan support can always turn these things around. Though I am not an Angel watcher, how have it ratings been specifically to the competition? Odd that they would cut a success, unless people want more $ than they are willing to pay - possible?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Man, they need to cancel Smallville before cancelling Angel. They are doing something stupid if they cancel Angel. Its the second best show on right now.

Of course this begs the question ... what's the first?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Man, they need to cancel Smallville before cancelling Angel.  They are doing something stupid if they cancel Angel.  Its the second best show on right now.

Of course this begs the question ... what's the first?

LOL my morbid curiosity is getting the best of me, as well. What is Visceris' favourite TV show?

There is currently a petition to save the show. Already there are more than 23000 signatures:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ai5d0162/petition.html

I am uncertain about ratings. I read that it was the number 2 show on WB in the 18-34 age range (and I don't know what is number 1). That time slot, 9 PM on Wednesday, though is dominated by the West Wing in first place.

I think one issue for the cancellation was that the budget for the show was high. That was a factor that led to how some of the episodes this season were filmed. As said in the press release, the network is however considering doing some TV movies next year which indicates that the network recognizes the show has a loyal following.

More thoughts on the cancellation can be found here:

http://www.spoilerslayer.com/archives/002777.php

Why did this happen, it doesn't make sense?

Actually, looking back at the stories from earlier this season, it does make some sense. Since before 'Buffy' even ended, I had been hearing rumors that the budget was a big sticking point in negotiations. Add to this the reports that the show was doing a lot of 'in-house' shooting early in the season due to a tight budget, and the very intriguing comments after the season started about finally getting the go ahead for a full season. It's my hunch, that the WB was originally aiming for the show to reach Episode 100, then based on the decent ratings okayed a full season.

However, with several new (and pricey) series on The WB's horizon for next season, it's my guess that the cost of paying for another season, just doesn't make sense for the ratings they were getting. It's doing well in it's time slot, but at five years in (and with the addition of James to the cast), it's unlikely that they would improve any further.

Joss Whedon, the show's creator, also posted his comments which can be read here:

http://www.spoilerslayer.com/archives/002782.php

Another thing to consider is that the WB is resurrecting Dark Shadows again (another vampire/supernatural) series for next season despite the lack lustre ratings of the show the last time it was brought back in 1992. They may not want to have two vampire shows.

I've enjoyed Angel for a long time now, and currently it's the only show I'll go out of my way to watch.

I think this season has been on the whole better than most. However, I don't think I mind it being cancelled so long as they have time to develop a decent ending.

I'm not sure I trust a TV series to seriously develop an apocolypse unless it's created specifically with that in mind. So it might be better for them to quit while their ahead.

Actually, I thought last season would have been a good end to the series. Angel did fullfill both sindes of the prophecy (he was on both the good and evil end), and did participate in something that could have almost been classified as the end of the world. But my thing would have been imagining them in W&H probably would have been more mysterious than actually seeing it.

I probably want the series to end for paradoxical self intrest, this is the single show that keeps me anywhere near the TV (which means it's good) but if it ended I wouldn't feel the need to watch any TV at all (aside from the occasional Simpsons or something). So I guess either way I win on some level :)

Well I think, like Buffy, the show always had its niche so not everybody would be into it. I thought it was better than Buffy though and always had its own different flavor from Buffy

Some more info on TVGuide:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/entertainment/040218.asp

Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) is being asked again to show up on the season finale or one of the later episodes. She previously said it felt too soon but perhaps she'll reconsider if this is the last season.

Also, they are shopping the show to UPN for a pick up, just like how Buffy was picked up by UPN after 5 seasons at WB:

In other Angel news, rumors that the axed WB drama could follow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer's footsteps and put down stakes at rival network UPN are just that