APG or PCI-E ?

For KOTOR 2 and any other games for that matter, I know an APG card will do the job but just how long will motherboards support it? Its a lot cheaper but is it a wise choice going for APG cards?

If you are planning to buy a new motherboard w/ a 915 or 925 Chipset, you NEED a PCI-E. For any older socket 478 motherboard, AGP is all they have. Don't bother getting a PCI-Express just for the hell of it because buying a new motherboard means you need a new LGA 775 processor, DDR2 ram and a PCI-E card. The difference between the two is maybe 1 - 3 frames for most games.

Also, most AMD motherboards (except for A8N-SLI and stuff like that) still have AGP support. It's not really a big deal.

I've got 925x and geforce 6600 GT PCI-express. I'll let you know if I notice anything.

But for KOTOR 1, I used to play with a 1.8, 512 ram, and a geforce TI 4200 and I had to keep it at 800x600.

After I upgraded to 3.0, 512 ram DDR2 and the 6600 I could have everything up to my hearts content.

PCI-Express x16 is not really any better for gaming than 8x AGP because that bus was almost never a bottleneck. It's needed for doing work that requires fast texture uploads, like rendering scenes to disk, but games tend not to do things like that :)

That said if you're buying a new motherboard now get a PCI-Express one because that's the way things are going, it's more future proof.

PCI-Express x16 is not really any better for gaming than 8x AGP because that bus was almost never a bottleneck.  It's needed for doing work that requires fast texture uploads, like rendering scenes to disk, but games tend not to do things like that :blink:

That said if you're buying a new motherboard now get a PCI-Express one because that's the way things are going, it's more future proof.

Agreed, the AGP technology is now nearly 5 years old. The next generation of cards will probably be all PCI-E cards.

However, if you have to buy a new motherboard, don't really bother. An AGP 6800 series card should be good for 2 or 3 years.

It doesn't matter... yet. If you don't have a PCI-E or PCI-X slot, then an AGP is fine.

So my AGP X 4 will work then? Even though my processor is slow?

AGP 4x has a transfer rate of 1.1GB/s. Sure an 8x AGP or 16x PCI-E slot will make the difference of a few frames but AGP 4x is fine for most games provided you have a good enough video card...

By the way, your AGP transfer rate is not a fault of your processor, its your motherboard. If you have a P3 thats 800MHz or higher, you won't have any problems. (the requirements say 1GHz but they are wrong considering I ran KotOR on a 350... read more about it on the forums)

Agreed, the AGP technology is now nearly 5 years old. The next generation of cards will probably be all PCI-E cards.

Probably, but there's no real reason to stop using AGP. While the next generaiton of gahics cards *might* theoretically use more than the AGP transfer provides, I doubt it will really come close. Here's one thing that time has not rendered obsolete.

It doesn't matter... yet. If you don't have a PCI-E or PCI-X slot, then an AGP is fine.

So my AGP X 4 will work then? Even though my processor is slow?

AGP 4x has a transfer rate of 1.1GB/s. Sure an 8x AGP or 16x PCI-E slot will make the difference of a few frames but AGP 4x is fine for most games provided you have a good enough video card...

Well right now i have a GForce 4 Ti 4200 - 128mb, dunno but that worked on kotor 2 and most new games, a little lag tho. Waiting to probably get a 6800 Ultra GTO hopefully.

Well right now i have a GForce 4 Ti 4200 - 128mb, dunno but that worked on kotor 2 and most new games, a little lag tho. Waiting to probably get a 6800 Ultra GTO hopefully.

There is no such thing as a 6800 Ultra GTO. There is a 6800 GTO, and there is a 6800 Ultra but no such thing as an Ultra GTO. A Ti 4200 will be fine for KotOR 2, according to the system requirements, the reccomended VC is Ti 4200, 9200 or better. Don't bother upgrading now.

PCI-E is good if you are buying a new PC. If you still have your old P4 (Socket 478), upgrading to PCI-E isn't worth it because you will have to buy a new Processor, DDR2 ram, and a PCI-E graphics card. If you want a new video card, just buy an AGP 8x video card. Besides, the 6800 Ultra Extreme Edition still isn't out for PCI-E boards... :D

The 6800 Ultra EE from eVGA is being sold for $549 but thats if you win the "contest" to purchase it. I know what it sounds like... I would rather they just give you the card if you win :p

Probably, but there's no real reason to stop using AGP. While the next generaiton of gahics cards *might* theoretically use more than the AGP transfer provides, I doubt it will really come close. Here's one thing that time has not rendered obsolete.

Notice how I said : However, if you have to buy a new motherboard, don't really bother. An AGP 6800 series card should be good for 2 or 3 years.

There is no such thing as a 6800 Ultra GTO. There is a 6800 GTO, and there is a 6800 Ultra but no such thing as an Ultra GTO. A Ti 4200 will be fine for KotOR 2, according to the system requirements, the reccomended VC is Ti 4200, 9200 or better. Don't bother upgrading now.

I see your point, but my pc is only AGP 4 X not 8 X and my processor is pentium 3 866mhz wit 512mb sdram and since does kotor 2 posted their sys req?

I see your point, but my pc is only AGP 4 X not 8 X and my processor is pentium 3 866mhz wit 512mb sdram and since does kotor 2 posted their sys req?

Ah i saw the sys requirements on the site, thx anyway, it will work just like the original did, only thing, it will lag cuz of processor. One question though? Will the game be out for pc or dvd? cuz on the sys it said u need cd rom and dvd rom recommended. So just an issue there and will the game come with a cd key? Thanks

It will probably come out on PC in CD and DVD formats. One DVD is much cheaper than 4CDs (It's much more economical :D)... My guess is they will produce a limited number of CD versions but the majority of the copies will be DVD.

Ah i saw the sys requirements on the site, thx anyway, it will work just like the original did, only thing, it will lag cuz of processor. One question though? Will the game be out for pc or dvd? cuz on the sys it said u need cd rom and dvd rom recommended. So just an issue there and will the game come with a cd key? Thanks

NEVER GO BY THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. I ran KotOR on a 350 (w/ a Ti 500) and it worked. I also tried running it on a friends 733 and my 900 and it worked on those machines aswell. When I tried running it on my other friend's 2.66, it had trouble because that machine had an Intel Extreme 2 card. I think the game is more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. A P3 866 should suffice...

It will probably come out on PC in CD and DVD formats. One DVD is much cheaper than 4CDs (It's much more economical :D)... My guess is they will produce a limited number of CD versions but the majority of the copies will be DVD.

NEVER GO BY THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS. I ran KotOR on a 350 (w/ a Ti 500) and it worked. I also tried running it on a friends 733 and my 900 and it worked on those machines aswell. When I tried running it on my other friend's 2.66, it had trouble because that machine had an Intel Extreme 2 card. I think the game is more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. A P3 866 should suffice...

I see, hmmm well in that case, i better go grab a pc version when it comes out :D , or hopefully get it for a gift . Cuz i have no dvd rom, hmm ya kotor did work on my 866 and it was ok, actually most new games work thx to my ram and video card (w00t) Well thanks again DARTH NI