Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I must be in Bizarro World...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yup, i agree.

That's why NWN and even MW were able to push out successful expansions. Because, people (mostly) liked what they saw. The same can't be said for DS. And, I'll say that about MW even though I personally abhore it.

Maybe DS2 will be good; but I have my doubts. A sequel to a bad game is almsot destined to be one too.

"Just giving a possible reason, thatís all."

Yeha; but I'm just saying your logic here doesn't work it when SOU was released a year after NWN and sold pretty well for an expansion. Same with HOTU.

DS was all hype.

NWN was hype; but it also delivered what (most) people wanted.

Same with *puke* MW *puke*.

P.S. Stop making me support MW. Gah. >_<

Phosphor

Phosphor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
I tried the demo for Dungeon Siege and hated it, but I've been reading some good ideas from Gas Powered about DS2; I think they're moving in a good direction with it. As long as it's a game you fully play, and not watch, then I think it may be good.

Claws

Claws

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts
The only thing DS1 had going for it were the graphics, which is not saying much... But have you seen the graphics of DS2? They're terrible! This game has got nothing going for it! Unless they have a really super deep plot that's capable of captivating players till the end, which I highly doubt.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts
The pets sound neat. I'll probably be getting a it...a couple weeks after it hits and I've heard some player feedback. I know Di~ said she's getting it, mayhaps I'll have to walk down the road and borrow her copy.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Seriously Eru, Dungeon Siege? :)

C'mon man, pull yourself together!

Nick_i_am

Nick_i_am

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2494 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
HAY, I liked DSs story!

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10683 posts

HAY, I liked DSs story!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

o:)

But then, there were also people who liked NWN's (OC) story... weirder things has happened.

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

"Maybe he thought it was good. Just because you dont happen to share that view dosnt make it wrong in this case. it's entirely subjective."

Checkmate. I win. You lose. Game over.

And? So did SOU.  Don't make exuses. i think it's more the fact that people played DS; thought it sucked; and didn't want to touch the epxansion unlike NWN or MW's expansions. That's the main reason I'd wager.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A steller story was never a mission goal. Oops you lose as usual.

But if you want to continue on that logic , well the OC broke so many promises that DS looks like a saint in comparisson so you cant have it both ways. o:)

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

Seriously Eru, Dungeon Siege?  o:)

C'mon man, pull yourself together!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But they've described it like; dare I say it (I'm so gonna get flamed for this) an updated version of Baldur's Gate. A Gigantic streaming world you're free to explore (On a DVD no less), pro voice-overs, rich character interaction, a well written story! :">

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Chris Taylor rocks. Looking forward to his RTS (WHY EA, WHY????? DIE EA DIE!!!!!!)

I'll definitely give DS2 a playthrough, despite not liking the 1st much. The improvements seem quite promising.

Dismissing it just because the previous game wasn't very good might potentially be a mistake. Devs sometimes learn from their mistake.

After all, if we hadn't played POR2 because of the crapfest that was the original POR, we would have missed out on a masterpiece.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Believing Gas powered Games can make a good RPG, is like believing pigs can fly.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Flying is easy. You just have to miss the ground when falling down. Iīm sure pigs would be able to do it.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"But if you want to continue on that logic , well the OC broke so many promises that DS looks like a saint in comparisson so you cant have it both ways."

Thanks for proving my point. Like I said, either way I win.

I either win because you admit that DS didn't deliver on its promises; or I finally got you to admit BIo didn't lie about the OC.

Thanks for falling for my trap. :-" :) :p

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

"But if you want to continue on that logic , well the OC broke so many promises that DS looks like a saint in comparisson so you cant have it both ways."

Thanks for proving my point. Like I said, either way I win.

I either win because you admit that DS didn't deliver on its promises; or I finally got you to admit BIo didn't lie about the OC.

Thanks for falling for my trap. :p:)  :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that works both ways although it probably didnt occur to you :p ;) :-

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It did; but I said, what the hell, let's do it anyways. :D

tripleRRR

tripleRRR

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 793 posts
DS was one of the most boring "RPG"s I have ever played solo. However, it was very fun to play over a lan with a few friends, turn up the difficulty and run around trying to move forward and stay alive was fun enough.

Azarkon

Azarkon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Games you watch aren't necessarily boring, as millions of FF fans will tell you.

However, in DS most of the times what you watched wasn't the story, but the repetitive monotony of uninspired battles. And that was supposed to be the point of the game.

I can't imagine what kind of drugs one would have to take in order to consider that "fun" during the design phase.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts

After all, if we hadn't played POR2 because of the crapfest that was the original POR, we would have missed out on a masterpiece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This line makes absolutely no sense to me. :alien:

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

Games you watch aren't necessarily boring, as millions of FF fans will tell you.

However, in DS most of the times what you watched wasn't the story, but the repetitive monotony of uninspired battles.  And that was supposed to be the point of the game. 

I can't imagine what kind of drugs one would have to take in order to consider that "fun" during the design phase.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Expcept you dont actually watch FF games. The cutscenes are a whole different thing. Same as reading large chunks of text in something like PST only much more technologically advanced.

You have to remember that DS was designed for novice players and those put off RPGs by all those stats then everything makes sense.

~Di

~Di

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 992 posts
I enjoy Dungeon Siege, and am looking forward to Dungeon Siege 2. I know DS isn't rocket science; I don't care. It's beautiful, it's fun, and it's one of the few party-based games out there nowadays. So I don't care if it's an action hack-n-slash, it's a fun action hack-n-slash, and Dungeon Siege 2 promisese to be even better.

*waits for the pompous RPG elitists to ooze out of the woodwork*

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users