A Strategy Gamer in Need

BuckeyeRowe

I've always enjoyed strategy games, as well as some sports games. But when KOTOR came out I gave it a shot (always did like Star Wars).

I enjoyed it.

Now I'd like to try some other RPGs. But, were to start?

Please give me some suggestions for quality RPGs to try. From what I've read, most are fantasy, which really isn't my cup of tea, but if it's the only quality out there.

(I'm a PC gamer by the way - as if there are strategy gamers on consoles)

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Yeah, what Hades said is a good start.

Someone explain this. The name Hades_One no longer has an avatar.

Now Hades' avatar is used by Llyranor.

What's going on? Is it the same person?

(Now everyone will respond to this and not my original question. :thumbsup: )

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

Fallout is probably the best non fantasy RPG.

As for strategy games on consoles, well hate to break it to you but a heck of a lot more than on the PC.

I mean quality strategy.

(Don't fight the point, I'm only joking around...even though I'm right. :thumbsup: )

Well, If your a strategy gamer I'd suggest Icewind Dale. It has a nice story and involves a lot of strategizing.

Planescape: Torment is indeed a brilliant game. However, it might be too weird for someone new to the genre.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Do not start with Torment. That was the 4th RPG that I played, and I wasn't able to fully appriciate it until I had fully examined the endings and journeys of the previous RPGs. Here's what I suggest:

Fallout->Fallout2->Baldur's Gate->Baldur's Gate2->Neverwinter Nights(NOT THE OC...I suggest SOU and then HOTU. Then try the OC online with some buddies. But all by yourself, it doesn't feel worth playing. But that's my opinion.)->PS:T->The previous games, except for BG2 and NWN->KOTOR2

:thumbsup:

Fnord.

You might also want to give Jagged Alliances 2 a try. Especially if you don't appreciate fantasy, but like strategy and tactical combat.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Fallout is probably the best non fantasy RPG.

As for strategy games on consoles, well hate to break it to you but a heck of a lot more than on the PC.

I only know of 2 or 3 strategy games on console. And they're considered "Strategy RPG"

Then again, it may just be me associating strategy with things like warcraft and civilization.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I only know of 2 or 3 strategy games on console. And they're considered "Strategy RPG"

Then again, it may just be me associating strategy with things like warcraft and civilization.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That's why I said what I did.

Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming!! I enjoy diverse opinions.

Yeah. Jagged Alliance 2. The graphics are very dated but the gameplay is excellent.

In a similar vein (I'll get chewed up for saying this) Fallout: Tactics is actually a blast, although it isn't a RPG.

Personally, I'd go for BG2 and the expansion but I'd also go for the not very easy but very rewarding option of modding the heck out of it for your very first run through.

If you ever decide this route I will suggest which mods to instal, how, why and where to get them.

As for Planescape..... meh. As somebody else pointed out it's an interactive novel about quasi-spiritual navel-gazing.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Mmmm.. Jagged alliance. Too bad the game suffers horrible crashes on my computer :blink:

Now, RPGs.. I'd say, try KOTOR 1 (and 2), NWN, bloodlines, and if you like the RPG genre, and arent put off by "outdated" graphics and engines, get the games like Fallout 1,2 Baldur's Gate 1,2, Icewind dale and Planescape Torment.

I would suggest getting Gothic (difficult to find) and Gothic 2. If you enjoy immersive worlds and world exploration then those games are definitely for you. Also, they have quite decent graphics and might not be as difficult to adjust to as, say, Fallout.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Surlent

For crpgs: Fallout (the first one) and Arcanum are the way to go.

Computer roleplaying goodnes galore, I'd say of the both the above.

Arcanum's tad bit longer than Fallout in terms of gameplay. Fallout has this post-apocalyptic setting where you need to survive against the grim odds. Arcanum is steampunk in 1800's how well fantasy races like elves and dwarves learned to live with each other.

After them if you still got some enthusiasm, line up with Vampire:Masquerade:Bloodlines or then the infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate series, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale series.

For console rpgs: I'd go straight to Final Fantasy Tactics (the Playstation version), the plot and combat doesn't get any better than this, they're ground breaking.

The combat truly requires some tactics compared to most other console games of its time.

Play Fallout before Fallout 2.

Fallout was kinda boring. :(

Such Blasphemy!

Anyone in their right mind knows Fallout is better than Fallout 2. See what happens when you play Fallout 2 first? >_<

After playing Fallout 2... Fallout was slow, dull, and way too easy. :wacko: