Obsidian

kirottu

Original intellectual property. That's how you make money.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I know exactly what I would like to see Obsidian do for their next game.  A Cyberpunk/Post Apacolyptic CRPG set in a dying "fantasy" world.  Something dark and gritty, with elves.  :D

wait that could be a good idea taking a fantasy setting where magic went dead then advancing it a few thousand years and then doing something with that

I know exactly what I would like to see Obsidian do for their next game.  A Cyberpunk/Post Apacolyptic CRPG set in a dying "fantasy" world.  Something dark and gritty, with elves.  :D

wait that could be a good idea taking a fantasy setting where magic went dead then advancing it a few thousand years and then doing something with that

I'd be interested in playing that. :lol:

newlogo.gif

I'd be interested in playing that. :geek:

For those Pen and Paper fans out there, try RIFTS material by Palladium. It's not D20, imo a good thing, so it might confuse some of you :D

I know of Rifts, and I am very familiar with the Palladium system, and I really hate it.

But I was thinking on Hades idea, as I was washing the dishes, and I think it could be really neat. Basically, take something like a basic fantasy D&D setting and blow it up via a magical apocolypse. Through the abuse of magical forces, all those who tapped into the magica forces damaged and weakened it irrevocably, and ultimately destroyed it, causing mass destruction. All magic users are killed, and the lands ravaged.

Set the game some time after the event (a decade perhaps). There is no contact with the gods, they may or may not still exists, some priests might even consider mages god-killers and hate the very utterance of any magic reference. So while priests exist, they are healers by traditional methods, and can curse and bless only through their followers believing that it's possible, so faith is just that - belief and dogma. There'd be charlatans, fanatics, doomsayers and whatnot.

And in this world the races and cultures are struggling to rebuild and crawl out from under the ruin.

Could be fun.

newlogo.gif

Set the game some time after the event (a decade perhaps).

The problem I see is while you are only content with a few deacades, Hades is suggesting thousands of years. This means that technology has had a chance to flourish without arcane teachings of magic to hinder it. The view of a world with magic is usually one set in a dark ages period where technology has stopped and advancements are usually harder to make when magic is quicker and easier. This is not the case in settings where magic is introduced or re-introduced to a world. The worlds with out magic have to make due with technology, which also advances the civilization of the world. A few decades would not be enough to bring about the change from a feudal system to a republic or democratic system. Free thinking is embraced in the technological environment while it is stifled in a magical environment.

I know of Rifts, and I am very familiar with the Palladium system, and I really hate it.

Knowing and experiancing Rifts are completely different. You might not like the Palladium system, but it was first. I played D&D 2ed and I do NOT like the switch to D20. I also played the SW system before WotC put in D20. While D20 is not my favorite system, it worked for SW.

For those who do not know what we are talking about, Rifts is a part of the Palladium Megaverse. It is a post-apocalyptic world that Magic and Technology clash while the Earth is trying to rebuild after the apocalypse has hit. The Palladium Megaverse is home to Robotech and TMNT. The rules allow for any crossover you can think of to happen. :devil:

I'm not saying that it is the best system, but it is one with less glitches than others.

Don't forget Palladium Fantasy RPG... it's also a part of the palladium megaverse (and the only palladium game I have played). And i must confess im with phosphor here, I love the palladium fantasy setting, but the rules are horrible (also think D&D is a horrible rulseset, but at least it's better organised).

Right now I'm not talking about the Rules for the system, I'm talking about the story of the world. Palladium Fantasy is ok, but I'm not familiar with it because I stuck to the latter day material. I enjoy the Rifts material along with Beyond the Supernatural, Nightbane, and Heros Unlimited. The GM's hosting the games have not taken us to PFRPG because we prefer AD&D to it. Another series that might spark your interest is not an RPG, but has the elements. It's called the Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony. Read them before you answer, please.

Traveller RPG.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

My bets are on KOTOR3 or BaldursGate3..both have been preety much confirmed coming..and neither has developer officialy annouced for it.

I also would like to see Obsidian's original IP...but to take such risk Obsidian would have to grow bigger... you can't afford taking risk when one game can make the company go bancrupt. if Obsidian will have 2-3 teams working on three diffrent projects... then you can bet one of them will be their own original IP.

• 2 weeks later...

> My bets are on KOTOR3 or BaldursGate3..both have been preety much confirmed coming..and neither has developer officialy annouced for it.

You sure about that? LA had a team togeather for KotOR3, as they wanted to develop it internally from what I was told. But they disbanded it last month. AFAIK KotOR3 is in limbo not being developed currently. But I do concede I dont follow star wars fluff so things might have changed since the LA KotOR3 team disbanded.

> I also would like to see Obsidian's original IP...but to take such risk Obsidian would have to grow bigger...

You sure about that... ;)

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

But I was thinking on Hades idea, as I was washing the dishes, and I think it could be really neat. Basically, take something like a basic fantasy D&D setting and blow it up via a magical apocolypse. Through the abuse of magical forces, all those who tapped into the magica forces damaged and weakened it irrevocably, and ultimately destroyed it, causing mass destruction. All magic users are killed, and the lands ravaged.

Set the game some time after the event (a decade perhaps). There is no contact with the gods, they may or may not still exists, some priests might even consider mages god-killers and hate the very utterance of any magic reference. So while priests exist, they are healers by traditional methods, and can curse and bless only through their followers believing that it's possible, so faith is just that - belief and dogma. There'd be charlatans, fanatics, doomsayers and whatnot.

And in this world the races and cultures are struggling to rebuild and crawl out from under the ruin.

Could be fun.

*Cough*Darksun*Cough*

;)

I am not talking about Shadowrun here.  basically take the Forgotten Realms and make it 2000 years later and only 100 after a huge apocalypse  that ravaged the planet.

...so make it a Dragonlance/Fallout crosso'ver???... :(

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way