Save Obsidian's NWN2 forums

aVENGER

Do you want Obsidian's NWN2 forums restored?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Obsidian's NWN2 forums restored?

• Yes
    • No

Ugh...what a crapfest the BIO boards are... It takes up to 30 seconds for a single page to load....I know in the big scheme of things that's not a long time, but it took less than 10 seconds for these forums (and most others) to load with DIALUP.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

To me the ideal board would be the format of the current Obsidian boards with the Bioware population. I think as well that it is a good move, though perhaps a sad one for some, for the success of this product.

I would predict that most of the NWN2 consumers will be from the NWN1 player base. I would be extremely hard pressed to believe that there are more NWN1 members active on these forums than on the Bio forums. Perhaps the hosts of each forums can be forthcoming with the forum stats so we can do an actual comparisson.

~DX

I for one think it was a good move. Nearly all the NWN CC creators I know, never participate on these forums, given the sometimes hostile nature of its members and leniency towards the rules.

While the Bio Moderators can be strict, it's a necessary part of running a clean and troll-free environment.

I've always found biowares site a friendly place to check out, and I, along with many others I'm sure, am looking forward to reading up on and participating in Obsidian's NWN2 forum over there.

:thumbsup:

-------------

~Elryn

DragonLance Adventures

I for one think it was a good move. Nearly all the NWN CC creators I know, never participate on these forums, given the sometimes hostile nature of its members and leniency towards the rules.

Interesting, I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

If Atari wants NWN2 boards over at BioWare, that's fine with me. I just don't see why BioWare must have the ONLY NWN2 boards. Why couldn't there be two forums? Truth be told, I don't like the BioWare boards.

*points to his sig* :thumbsup:

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I have no desire to visit the Bioware Forums. I always avoided them in preference of the NW Vault. I truly have nothing against Bioware, but I could really care less for their boards. I feel that we had a good thing going here and now a lot of people are upset. I just hope that this does not adversely affect the development of NWN 2. Time will tell. I would much rather hang out here and talk about anything else than waste my time on the Bioware Boards.

And I still have an account there.

Edit:

I am really trying to be constructive, but I can't restrain myself at this point and hold back the fact that I am extremely upset at this decision.

:angry:

Edited by Dalmir "The Dark"

It has happened. But I will not get into that here as it strays off-topic, and dredging up the past threads which were deleted or lost in the archives would be a waste of time.

That is of course, you're opinion. But don't go and patronize me by making an assumption of something I have done. You could have asked, instead of speaking for me.

I have no doubt. I did not say otherwise. These forums do have a strong community base, and they wouldn't be here unless it was entertaining & enjoyable for them.

There is a bitter resentment toward NWN CC creators on these forums. Which is why many of them do not come here. This is fact.

------------------

And to give you my opinioniated answer to your kotor question? NWN draws a much older crowd, and it's safe to say, it's that crowd that still sticks to the game up till now.

On the other hand, KOTOR is mainly an XBOX game and just as importantly, a newer game. So the playerbase is more likely to have a broader age range, as well as  a fanbase (Not to mention being a Star Wars title). It's hard to argue that more people, especially kids, play PC more than XBOX these days. And those that are younger, do like having the ability to use custom avatars and banners.

Perhaps that is why? Who knows.

Many of us here go back to different boards and we will say things to each other that we wouldnt say to a stranger. Like how you call your friend a tosser , it's ok because they know you mean nothing by it. But anyone who overheard may well get the wrong impression.

The people on here are generally helpful and welcoming when it comes to new people. Unless they start of with something hostile like "obsidian sux" but then what do you expect..

What is NwN CC ?

Custom avatars make the boards less bland. While strangely enough still loading a lot faster than the bioware boards.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"am really trying to be constructive, but I can't restrain myself at this point and hold back the fact that I am extremely upset at this decision."

Nothing wrong with voicing displeasure. It's when people get all soap operaish is when problems arise.

"The people on here are generally helpful and welcoming when it comes to new people."

And? This is true on *any* board including BIO's. Certainly doens't make this baord special. All one has to do is check in on the NWN toolset forums and see how 99% of the posts there are helpful, courteous, and legit. The same cna't be said here (even if you take out the scum posters like myself, Hades, and afew others - no offense intended Hades; just the truth :( ).

Though; you are wrong. Often times when a new poster cpmes by the s0 called 'regular's junmp down their throat accusing them of being 3 year olds or BIo fnaboys. In fact, inmany ways, these baords are just as bad if not worse than the 'Codex in that manner.

The reaction to this news - over a silly board move - illustrates some of the immaturity here. People should look at the Great Mkreku for an example of how to voice displeasure over the decision in a civil and mature manner.

"Custom avatars make the boards less bland."

People who use custom avatars show a weakness in creativity, and a desire to be more noticable so meh.

"While strangely enough still loading a lot faster than the bioware boards."

7k members to 1 mil+. 'Nough said.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It has happened. But I will not get into that here as it strays off-topic, and dredging up the past threads which were deleted or lost in the archives would be a waste of time.

Well, I disagree. I have seen probably most every post on these forums and I haven

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

wish it was a conspiracy theroy. A lot of nwn CC authors shy from coming here - it's notoriously hostile place in the communities eyes - be it a crossing of wires or whatever the case is - it's true and not conspiracy.

What are you talking about ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't think we need to be picking apart other boards here; it's not exactly productive or necessary.

I understand there's a lot of upset and irritation right now, but perhaps that "posting energy" could be better spent. There's a lot of talk about the boards dying, people going away, not wanting to come/stay/go wherever, but that's accomplishing nothing except making things worse.

If you really want these boards to flourish, perhaps post something more constructive. I know with the NWN2 fora gone, there's not much to talk about here save for venting, but I would request it be pulled back a bit for the good of the boards in general.

Personally, I'd like to see these boards be a good place to talk about stuff, so if we could work towards that, rather than general crankiness, I think it'd be for the best.

newlogo.gif

As a fan stand-point I hate Atari for its its bad RPGs sometimes. Im still mad for Atari for not giving us Americans the expansion for Gothic II, but for business stand point it was the right desision.

My reason why:

Due to the fact that BIOWARE was a long history of making RPGs these past years. It has a huge fan base all ready. We have fans of NWN game plus the expansion. Also we have STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Guess what! Its the most popular STAR WARS game ever. So it allready has a huge fan base. By combinding the forums to one place it makes it easier for the fans to know about the future product from OBSIDIAN. I dont have my facts with me right now, but I believe BIOWARE recieves much more hits than OBSIDIAN's site. Also if you type NEVERWINTER NIGHTS in GOOGLE. The the site at the top of the list is BIOWARE site. ATARI's site for NWN 2 is the fith one down. Wheres is OBSIDIAN at? OBSIDIAN's site is at page three at google ( http://www.google.com/search?q=Neverwinter...=&start=20&sa=N ). Untill OBSIDIAN starts looking big like BIOWARE or even like BLIZZARD. ATARI will only look at OBSIDIAN as a small usefull game company.

This is all true, B5C... but why shut down these forums? Why not just *add* forums at Bioware? I mean, LA has their own KotOR forums, but there still exsists a KotOR forum on Bioware (where you can talk abut Sith Lords, too!) and the Sith Lords forums here. Wouldn't that just make way more sense? That way... everone is happy. :)

I will tell you that the "talk" on a few other sites that I post on is that Bioware *is* taking over NWN2. Now I know that that isn't true, but that's how it *looks* when something like this happens. :blink:

This is all true, B5C... but why shut down these forums?  Why not just *add* forums at Bioware?  I mean, LA has their own KotOR forums, but there still exsists a KotOR forum on Bioware (where you can talk abut Sith Lords, too!) and the Sith Lords forums here.  Wouldn't that just make way more sense?  That way... everone is happy.  :)

I will tell you that the "talk" on a few other sites that I post on is that Bioware *is* taking over NWN2.  Now I know that that isn't true, but that's how it *looks* when something like this happens.  :blink:

Its forced re-direction. Atari wants us to go.

Yes, LA has their own forums, but thats LA. LA is the publisher. If LA wants to have their own forum. Thats fine. This is ATARI, they have their own plan to how they want to promote their future product.