Star Wars: Empire at War *new RTS*

kumquatq3

*wonders if he should meantion that he kinda liked rebellion and yoda stories*

*thinks better of it*

*points and laughs*

just kidding. my main beef with it was it was very the interface, imo, seemed very user unfriendly and clunky.

if this new game is more perhaps similar to civilization or something like that, then i might check it out. but if it has any resemblance to rebellion then i will steer clear, better graphics or not.

What the hell is up with the mention of Rebellion, kumquat? This game has got nothing to do with Rebellion.

In any case this game looks like it's using the Earth3 (Earth 2160) Engine. It looks pretty good, and the original C&C developers (Brett Sperry and co) are far more innovative and 'revolutionary' than their counterparts at EA who made Generals.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I loved the concept of Rebellion despite its poor execution. If they can combine Rebellion with Total War, that would make a pretty sweet game.

More Rebellion and Total War, less Galactic Battlegrounds and C&C.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I loved the concept of Rebellion despite its poor execution. If they can combine Rebellion with Total War, that would make a pretty sweet game.

More Rebellion and Total War, less Galactic Battlegrounds and C&C.

Yeah, I did like the concept of Rebellion.

This one does like Rome: Total War with stormtroopers. We'll see. They might do well with it if it's in the Total War mold, not C&C (which is what you just said, I'm just agreeing).

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

What the hell is up with the mention of Rebellion, kumquat? This game has got nothing to do with Rebellion.

I said it sounds like rebellion in a few ways

Like you have a galaxy map with the rebellion and the empire and you select where you want to attack or build at. The Empire is a dominate force while the rebellion runs around in the out rims and such hiding till they build up their strength. You get heros that do battle or diplomacy. You build ship yards and training facilities. You carry troops on to new battles. You use troops to stop spies.

actaully, this really does seem like a RTS game with rebellion tacked on.

I said it sounds like rebellion in a few ways

Like you have a galaxy map with the rebellion and the empire and you select where you want to attack or build at. The Empire is a dominate force while the rebellion runs around in the out rims and such hiding till they build up their strength. You get heros that do battle or diplomacy. You build ship yards and training facilities. You carry troops on to new battles. You use troops to stop spies.

actaully, this really does seem like a RTS game with rebellion tacked on.

Indeed. And if I remember correctly, 'capturing' certain enemy heroes would satisfy a win condition.

manthing2.jpg

I read the cover story in Feb. CGW, it was on it. Sounds really good actually. Focus is mainly on combat rather than building resources like most other RTSs out right now. Instead, you have 'income' which you get by building certain facilities, but you don't have to recruit civvie units to make you money. I like that...a lot. That's one of the things that pisses me off most about RTS games right now, I HATE having to manage peons while I'm trying to wage a war. The 'TIE' tank looks iffy though...

"I said it sounds like rebellion in a few ways

actaully, this really does seem like a RTS game with rebellion tacked on."

"Indeed. And if I remember correctly, 'capturing' certain enemy heroes would satisfy a win condition."

Yes, in Rebellion you had to capture Luke and Mon Motha, or Vader and the Emperor to win. You also needed to either destroy the Rebel Base (which was moble) or capture Coursant.

I think this new RTS sounds just like Rome: Total War in Star Wars. Sounds like it could be a winner, though (Rome is a great game).

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile