The Lightsaber

:ph34r:

The idea of having to building your own light saber was a fairly good idea in my mind. But it was done all wrong. You found the parts in mundane places and it gave signifigance to the fact you found them. You really didn't have to do anything special to get them. Also when you had it constucted no importance was given to it. Before the game came out it was sort of set up, in my mind at least, that building/finding your light saber was going to be a big part of the game.

Just my 2 cents.

make it 3.

I was dissapointed about that too. You just got the parts from more or less random people who shouldnt even have these parts :(

It would have made more sense if you went to Daantoine or Korriban and did some kinda quest there....

But as with so many things with this game it was probably cut out like everything else in this game....

Well, then you would have had to go to Dantooine or Korriban after you had to go to Telos. I think Obsidian didn't want to limit the freedom that much. But, the gradual process should have made a little more sense.

I would have liked to go to Dantooine after the crap that was Peragus, go into some ruins Kreia had talked about, but, these ruins wouldn't be dark and dreary and vermin infested. How to make these memorable and not repetitive, I don't know. :(

I am playing through right now, as LS I went straight to Nar Shadda after Telos and played goody two-shoes with everyone and before I got to the Jekk Jekk Tarr I had all the components to construct my lightsaber. I felt that that was a little too impractical. Also, did anyone notice that all the single bladed lightsabers looked the same? Even the one you build. They should have at least made it so that the lightsaber that you built looked customized to your desires, and to reflect your character.

I was dissapointed about that too. You just got the parts from more or less random people who shouldnt even have these parts  :blink:

Jedi masters

Visas

A huts treasure room

A guy in the enclave ruins

A guy from the mandalorian wars

Czerka Corp

Now, I've never gone to Dxun/Onderon before getting my saber, nor have I visited Korriban before hand either, but out of those possible choices that I can remember getting a saber piece from, non of them seem to be random people that shouldn't have had one in the first place. The only one you could possibly make a solid arguement against is the guy on Nar Shadaa that's from the wars. But again, he served in the war, possibly close to a jedi or two, perhaps he saw one get killed, or salvaged a broken part from a corpse...

I think getting parts from Visas saber was one of the better thought up ideas, tho it seems somewhat silly that a non-jedi "breaks" a Sith's saber. Her saber should've been broken in her intro video, and she should fight you with a regular melee weapon. Once you beat her, then have her hand over parts of her broken as a token of sorts.

And to be honest, finding your specially attuned crystal in the cave is just too simple. Why not either find a crystal that seems to glow more from your touch, and then have it modified/attuned to you by some of the first jedi masters you encounter? Getting the crystal and then getting it ready to go on the ship was just too simple...

Or, they could've had you encounter Atris one more time for more background story and eventually have her give your crystal back to you...

And the destruction on the academy on Dantooine could've been used a little more, the sub-leves there could have better ways of getting items to you than a scavenger.

Since the order in which you go to planets in KotOR2 is as unimportant as KotOR1, I think they could've done alot more with the lighsaber creation by forcing you to tels and then dantooine before giving you a choice of where to go next. I think most players instinctively sought out Dantooine early anyways, when you look back on KotOR1.

Well you had to play Dantoine first, hadn't you?

I never tried to leave Dantoine before completing my trainning and have the quest for star maps revealed to me.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I found it a little hard to believe that a lens I made with on my own workbench could be any less personal than some lense some guy handed to me, but I can accept it as a device to force you to play without a lightsaber for a planet or two.

I guess I wasn't all that disappointed, expect during my first play through I waited way too long to make my lightsaber. I guess I was expecting more of a big deal to be made, through cut scenes or something, when I finally had all the pieces to get started.

i am playin though the game for the 4th time i believe ia m going to not even bother getting my light saber until later on.. i am going to try to use ranged weapons and otehr melees just to mix it up a bit.. some of those people who have the parts i can understand why..

Jedi masters- of course they have some extra light saber parts

Visas- she has her own

A huts treasure room- probably bought/stole it

A guy in the enclave ruins- found it down in enclave

A guy from the mandalorian wars- probably got it off a dead jedi during the mandalorian wars

Czerka Corp- stole/bought

i dont know why some1 said you dont understand why some of these people have those parts.. sorta easy to get when most mercs will sell u light saber parts and etc..

I was dissapointed about that too. You just got the parts from more or less random people who shouldnt even have these parts  :)

Jedi masters

Visas

A huts treasure room

A guy in the enclave ruins

A guy from the mandalorian wars

Czerka Corp

Now, I've never gone to Dxun/Onderon before getting my saber, nor have I visited Korriban before hand either, but out of those possible choices that I can remember getting a saber piece from, non of them seem to be random people that shouldn't have had one in the first place. The only one you could possibly make a solid arguement against is the guy on Nar Shadaa that's from the wars. But again, he served in the war, possibly close to a jedi or two, perhaps he saw one get killed, or salvaged a broken part from a corpse...

Still it was much weaker than the way you got it in K1 which was a little more satifying