Oh no, mmog syndrome

I have been away from the forums since right before release on the x-box(that always sounds so friggin dirty). Anyway, I wasn't too worried about the wait cause Bloodlines was coming out. Well, that game got a bug that made it unplayable(argh) but shortly after WoW came out. Soon I am going to be faced with a dilemma. The dilemma will be how to schedule class, work, homework, 2 games and friends into my life. Normally my obsession with a game peters out as I beat it and I do not play it obsessively after. But WoW has no end. This is why I avoided the whole damn genre to begin with, I didn't want to have to make choices like this. ARGH

Are there any MMO's that aren't a waste of time and money?

Well, I hear some MMO's are free, so you won't be wasting any money. As for time, however... ;)"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

hehehe I can answer that for yas Jag (as Ive played them all in alpha or beta or subscription.

Star Wars Galaxies: Dont bother.

Has almost no star wars feel to it, the grinding of xp is insanely boring.

Your PUNISHED for becoming a Jedi (only class in game to have a MASSIVE xp loss at death which is caused mostly by KNOWN exploitation of Bounty Hunters yet SOE refuses to fix the exploit).

SWG has the MOST potential of any game out there but SOE seems determined to avoid that potential at all costs.

Upcoming changes to game will include a combat upgrade that removes buffs but does nothing regarding the insane weapon damage so one hit kills in pvp will become the norm.

Other upcoming change is forced grouping with no new content which means you will now need groups of 6-8 people to kill things you use to solo.

-On the SOE multipgame pass (29.95 for accounts in EQ, EQ2,SWG,Planetside, and others less known)

World of Warcraft:

-Most popular game on market at the moment in North America

-Casual players wet dream (ultra easy leveling curve, if you play more then 10 hours a week you will not be challenged)

-Has PvP but is a waterdowned version of DAoC

-Limited class choice (think its 8 in total) so not alot of variety to choose from

-Cartoon Graphics (some like it, some hate it, have to decide for yourself)

-Only 4 months old so the jury still out if it can hold on to players long term (I personally doubt it as half the players already maxed out level wise with no real end game to partake in)...time will tell the final story though.

EQ2:

-Very nice graphics but very high system requirements

-LOTS OF QUESTS (have members in guild at level 30 who have yet to fight something not related to current quest)

-NO PVP (none planned for at moment either)

-On the SOE multipgame pass (29.95 for accounts in EQ, EQ2,SWG,Planetside, and others less known)

-Expect regular expansions that make it much like EQ1 where Items and levels become the final goal.

EQ:

-Old but still popular game

-VERY HARD level curve

-game is totally item and level orientated

-Decent graphics (kinda like kotor xbox)

-almost no new players entering so that could create hardships for a new player

-VERY group orientated (you can solo with some classes but its a challenge)

Final Fantasy XI:

-KotOR style graphics and zones

-FORCED GROUPING (solo is NOT a option)

-interesting class make up (at level 20 you can start leveling up any class to half of your primary class)

-play with PS2 players (very very very annoying)

-multi-country servers (i liked this but others hated it, quite often you will group with people from japan, korea, china, ect! you communicate via set language macros)

-first game to add cut screen movies to a MMORPG

-Over all the forced grouping, PS2 players, and lack of naming restrictions make this game not very fun to be honest.

Ashrons Call 1:

-terrible games, both of them

- AC1 is a pkers heaven

-no level limit

-PKers heaven

-lots of Do0dZ in game

-PKers heaven

(getting the picture?)

Ashrons Call 2:

-Worse then AC1 (nuff said)

Dark Age of Camalot:

-Great initial start up

-game now is very "extra" orientated

-put to much emphasist on PvP bonuses (realm points, MLs, Artifacts)

-use to be a very good but steady learning curve, now you looking at a year minimum before you can "seriously" partake in RvR because of levels, items, RAs, and MLs needed to compete realisticly.

-If you buy a account it can still be a VERY FUN game.

Planetside:

Space (sci fi) PvP game (if you like pve look at SWG before Planetside)

EvE:

-Boring

-You mine ore, buy bigger ship, ine some more ore, train a skill, mine some more ore.......repeat

Ultima Online:

-terribly dated graphics

-still laggy after all these years

-somehow still holding on but doing the slow death routine

City of Heros:

-Superheros MMORPG

-easy leveling curve but not grade school easy like WoW

- Im told (this only one I havent actually played) its a fun game if your into all that sorta stuff. Worth a look if premise behind it interests you

Thats about it for whats out there currently.

Im a MMORPG fanatic and currently have no plans to play any MMORPGs until something new catchs my eye.

Upcoming is AD&D online but its being made by Turbine (creaters of AC1 and 2) so dont hold your breath on that product, history is not on their side for quality game creation (still worth a look tho)

Matrix Online: No idea how this one will play out, just not interested in it to be honest.

Side note: Dont visit MMORPG forums to find out about games, MMORPG players are the most fanatical players of any computer product (100000x where WoW concerned) so getting objective insite about any specific game is not really doable!

Example: WoW fanatics so bad that while I was beta testing it people who never played the game would argue with me about it. The most common used phrase at that time was "Its Blizzard so it will be better then everything else". Was really quite sad to be honest! LoL

I agree with the curve in WoW being very easy. But sometimes I like a game that really isn't horribly challenging...how good a game is isn't in the challenge, its in the fun. It's been really easy to get the feel of the game, but if they don't add a lot of stuff pretty quick, the game will probably get boring when I get to lvl60 (lvl 41 now, been playing for less than 1.5 months). The cartoon thing is right on. If you like really high quality art and can stand cartoony, low poly count models, WoW is perfect for you visually. It doesn't take a high-end system either. But I seriously am worried about it if I am still playing WoW when KotOR2 comes out, cause I really don't want to sacrifice something, and I know I will.

For you doubters, WoW isn't some really hardcore RPG with tons of stats and RPing, its more like Diablo II got smacked with an RPGstick, but if you just want stupid fun, it is a great game.

hehehe I can answer that for yas Jag (as Ive played them all in alpha or beta or subscription.

Star Wars Galaxies: Dont bother.

Has almost no star wars feel to it, the grinding of xp is insanely boring.

Your PUNISHED for becoming a Jedi (only class in game to have a MASSIVE xp loss at death which is caused mostly by KNOWN exploitation of Bounty Hunters yet SOE refuses to fix the exploit).

SWG has the MOST potential of any game out there but SOE seems determined to avoid that potential at all costs.

Upcoming changes to game will include a combat upgrade that removes buffs but does nothing regarding the insane weapon damage so one hit kills in pvp will become the norm.

Other upcoming change is forced grouping with no new content which means you will now need groups of 6-8 people to kill things you use to solo.

World of Warcraft:

-Most popular game on market at the moment in North America

-Casual players wet dream (ultra easy leveling curve, if you play more then 10 hours a week you will not be challenged)

-Has PvP but is a waterdowned version of DAoC

-Limited class choice (think its 8 in total) so not alot of variety to choose from

-Cartoon Graphics (some like it, some hate it, have to decide for yourself)

-Only 4 months old so the jury still out if it can hold on to players long term (I personally doubt it as half the players already maxed out level wise with no real end game to partake in)...time will tell the final story though.

EQ2:

-Very nice graphics but very high system requirements

-LOTS OF QUESTS (have members in guild at level 30 who have yet to fight something not related to current quest)

-NO PVP (none planned for at moment either)

-Expect regular expansions that make it much like EQ1 where Items and levels become the final goal.

EQ:

-Old but still popular game

-VERY HARD level curve

-game is totally item and level orientated

-Decent graphics (kinda like kotor xbox)

-almost no new players entering so that could create hardships for a new player

-VERY group orientated (you can solo with some classes but its a challenge)

Final Fantasy XI:

-KotOR style graphics and zones

-FORCED GROUPING (solo is NOT a option)

-interesting class make up (at level 20 you can start leveling up any class to half of your primary class)

-play with PS2 players (very very very annoying)

-multi-country servers (i liked this but others hated it, quite often you will group with people from japan, korea, china, ect! you communicate via set language macros)

-first game to add cut screen movies to a MMORPG

-Over all the forced grouping, PS2 players, and lack of naming restrictions make this game not very fun to be honest.

Ashrons Call 1:

-terrible games, both of them

- AC1 is a pkers heaven

-no level limit

-PKers heaven

-lots of Do0dZ in game

-PKers heaven

(getting the picture?)

Ashrons Call 2:

-Worse then AC1 (nuff said)

Dark Age of Camalot:

-Great initial start up

-game now is very "extra" orientated

-put to much emphasist on PvP bonuses (realm points, MLs, Artifacts)

-use to be a very good but steady learning curve, now you looking at a year minimum before you can "seriously" partake in RvR because of levels, items, RAs, and MLs needed to compete realisticly.

-If you buy a account it can still be a VERY FUN game.

Planetside:

Space (sci fi) PvP game (if you like pve look at SWG before Planetside)

EvE:

-Boring

-You mine ore, buy bigger ship, ine some more ore, train a skill, mine some more ore.......repeat

Ultima Online:

-terribly dated graphics

-still laggy after all these years

-somehow still holding on but doing the slow death routine

City of Heros:

-Superheros MMORPG

-easy leveling curve but not grade school easy like WoW

- Im told (this only one I havent actually played) its a fun game if your into all that sorta stuff. Worth a look if premise behind it interests you

Thats about it for whats out there currently.

Im a MMORPG fanatic and currently have no plans to play any MMORPGs until something new catchs my eye.

Upcoming is AD&D online but its being made by Turbine (creaters of AC1 and 2) so dont hold your breath on that product, history is not on their side for quality game creation (still worth a look tho)

Matrix Online: No idea how this one will play out, just not interested in it to be honest.

Side note: Dont visit MMORPG forums to find out about games, MMORPG players are the most fanatical players of any computer product (100000x where WoW concerned) so getting objective insite about any specific game is not really doable!

Example: WoW fanatics so bad that while I was beta testing it people who never played the game would argue with me about it. The most common used phrase at that time was "Its Blizzard so it will be better then everything else". Was really quite sad to be honest! LoL

Wow...thanks for taking the time to answer my question Kalfear. I doubt I'll be buying those anytime soon, but I greatly appreciate it nevertheless. :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

Wow...thanks for taking the time to answer my question Kalfear.  I doubt I'll be buying those anytime soon, but I greatly appreciate it nevertheless.  :thumbsup:

heh np Jag,

Being one of the rare 14 year vets of MMORPGs still left involved in MMORPGs (first mmorpg was NWN on AOL 15 years ago, I joined a year later as Canadian and AOL had no local numbers to connect for Canadians at that time) Im more then happy to let people know the pros and cons of the games out there :)

I also have no intention of really playing any of them to be honest. If LA would remove SOE from SWG I would give SWG anouther chance but that doesnt seem likely (but with the steady cancellations SWG had over last 6 months its not a imposibility).

Course Ill still Alpha / beta test new products (LOL mostly cause I keep getting invites to do so even when I have now stopped applying for betas and such). Heh, just wish I got paid for it! Could make a nice comfortable living hehehe.

Anyways, if yas ever have any questions about MMORPGs just ask :) As I said, I been around for all of them since the start and have played pretty much all of them with couple exceptions (and I refuse to drink companies kool-aide so judge them strictly on their actual merits/faults). Or drop by my guild website (link in signature), we are a extention of the FIRST MMORPG guild ever created.

I really enjoyed the MMOFPS Planetside.

heheh Darth Ni, thats why I told folks looking for sci fi PVE to look at SWG instead! hehehe

The only game I have managed to play online (and actually have fun with) several times with my friends was and still is DIABLO II....and it was awesome (w00t) .....until they made the 1.10 update.

I've tried a couple of mmorpgs such as Neocron and SWG, they both sucked. I guess it's

because I want to be the biggest hero in a game, and other people tend to be in the way of that :ph34r:

I've been coming by the Obsidian forums in search of KotOR2 news for quite a while, but I never felt the need to register until now.

I see you talking about some of the various MMORPGs available out there, and I could pass up the chance to plug the one I participate in.

The Star Wars Combine

www.swcombine.com

Its 100% free and being developed BY Star Wars fans. I've been a part of it for almost 6 years now.

If you've got any questions, I can try to answer them fo you.

How about telling us a bit about it?

Nice avatar, btw. Is he Darth Sion? >_<

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I used to play Star Wars Galaxies, but I was always an explorer and I wanted to do whatever I wanted to. Yet in the end I ended up grinding tons of professions and all that junk. Don't get SWG, it sucks more than Paris Hilton ever has.

I also became a Jedi but that sucked even worse, I stopped trying after a few weeks. Whoever succeeds with this game has no life at all.

How about telling us a bit about it?

Nice avatar, btw. Is he Darth Sion? >_<

1. Here's something that used to be on the site:

A LONG, LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY...

It is a time of great turmoil and chaos. The mighty Star Destroyers of the Galactic Empire clash with the huge Mon Calamari starships of the Rebel fleet in breathtaking displays of firepower. The skies of the universe are seared with lasor bolts, terrifying explosions, and fearsome missile bursts. Starfighters weave between the gargantuan ships, dogfighting in head-to-head duels for survival.

The Old Republic has been wiped out, destroyed in the name of a new galactic power. A wave of pure darkness has swept across the Galaxy, engulfing all that stands in its path. The unstoppable majesty of the Emperor and his loyal minions cast a deep shadow over all, crushing all who dare stand against them.

Yet there is hope. A mismatched but dedicated band of guerilla freedom fighters, the Rebel Alliance, are all that stands between the Empire and domination of the universe. Different peoples, races, species, and nations have hastily bonded together in an attempt to overthrow the Emperor, and are rebelling against the mighty Imperial forces.

As the two forces clash, tiny groups of pirates, smugglers, mercenaries, and traders go about their daily business, their minds too concentrated on staying alive another day to worry about the politics that the Imperials and Rebels do battle over.

This is the Star Wars Combine, the ultimate Star Wars simulation game on the internet. You play against hundreds of other real people, through a downloaded game application. The Combine continues to swell with players, and grows stronger with every passing day. It is set in the time of the Star Wars movies; Mon Mothma, Darth Vader, and all the others never existed...it is up to you to become the hero this time.

You must take your role in the ultimate battle between good and evil. Who will you stand up and be counted with? Will you succumb to the seduction of the Dark Side in its quest to bring order to the Galaxy? Will you rise up with the Rebel Alliance in its do-or-die struggle for freedom? Or will you align with the independent groups that colour the galaxy, living life by the skin of your teeth?

Now, take your lightsaber, and enter the Star Wars Combine.

The SWC contains:

- over 50 playable races

- over 100 usable ships and vehicles

- over 4000 planets, some visible, some yet to be discovered

- over 20000 players, although only about 10% actively play the game at this time

2. No, its not Sion. It is my SWC character. A cybornetic Falleen.

• 2 years later...

Wow Starkiller that was good. Look me up as Orion Taladega. I'm not exactly as popular as Mr Starkiller, but I live my smuggler life.

EDIT] [Oh wow i didn't realize hw old this topic was. sorry for bumping]

Edited by Mr Tenacious