Neverwinter Nights 2 Forums

The Guildmaster

Hmm, is it just me, or do the new and "larger" NWN 2 forums on bioware's board seem not so big and filled with activity as Atari envisioned? For a board with 2 million users (roofles?) posting seems to be a lot slower then on this board. Then again, it's probably just my imagination.

Regarding writing Atari:

Well, apparently it worked for the NWN1 CC creators, so I fail to see why it wouldn't work for us. I'll draft mine up tonight. For anyone else who wants to do this, please remember that emails do not carry the same weight with companies as written communication; if you want to make an impact, use a letter.

"Hmm, is it just me, or do the new and "larger" NWN 2 forums on bioware's board seem not so big and filled with activity as Atari envisioned? For a board with 2 million users (roofles?) posting seems to be a lot slower then on this board. Then again, it's probably just my imagination."

Yeah, that's because spamming/flaming is relaly discouraged there unlike here so you don't see a lot of back and forths between dinks like me and Visc. LOL

"Well, apparently it worked for the NWN1 CC creators"

Eh. I'd need proof before I'd belive that a couple of whiners who mailed Atari is what convinced them to move the baords to BIO. I doubt they're that powerful.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Well, apparently it worked for the NWN1 CC creators"

Eh. I'd need proof before I'd belive that a couple of whiners who mailed Atari is what convinced them to move the baords to BIO. I doubt they're that powerful.

According to Steel Wind at DLA's forums (the link was posted in either this thread or the other one), that's just what happened.

Even though I dislike BioWare forums, my dissapointment isn't really about the forum istelf. If NWN2 had started at BioWare and then moved to Obsidian I would probably be equally dissapointed (if I had become part of the forum readers, which I doubt).

What it basically comes down to, is my dissapointment at what the community actually did mean to Obsidian. I'm not naive enough to think that I personly ahve any importants for Obsidian as company, but one would think that they at least CARED that we have been spending here our free time, giving ideas and solutions for things that Obsidian gets payed to make.

Maybe I'm overreacting, or at least I'm sure most of you think that I am. But I see this as a spit in my face. And a nice guy welcoming us on the other side, is like the same guy trying to dry my face after I have been spit upon.

Although what I posted is still here, it is hard to find for those on totally other forum. Almost everything posted there has been discussed at least once or twice here. Why did I even bother to post any comments or solutions, if they now are gone or forgutten. This proves how much the community actually means and what weigh the things we say have..

This isn't a way to treat a community.

Memengwa, I understand how you feel, but Obsidian had no say in the matter. This move was orchestrated by Atari, who is the publisher for NWN2. Hopefully, something good can be salvaged from this. If you would like to express your discontent over this move with Atari, I would suggest writing a letter and mailing it to their customer service division.

BTW, is it safe to assume, given what your sig states, that you have created some custom content or have run a PW for NWN1? If this is the case, I'd be interested in hearing whether you ever felt that the atmosphere here at the Obsidian boards was "trollish", "unpleasant", or "hostile to CC creators". Thank you in advance.

Hmm, is it just me, or do the new and "larger" NWN 2 forums on bioware's board seem not so big and filled with activity as Atari envisioned? For a board with 2 million users (roofles?) posting seems to be a lot slower then on this board. Then again, it's probably just my imagination.

It's not just you, Percival. I've noticed it as well. The DA forums over there are a madhouse, and the NWN1 boards have always had topics disappearing to the second page so rapidly that it is hard to keep up. In contrast, I've hung out for five hours at the Bio NWN2 boards only see about seven posts added to topics in the General Discussion forum.

Memengwa, I understand how you feel, but Obsidian had no say in the matter.  This move was orchestrated by Atari, who is the publisher for NWN2.  Hopefully, something good can be salvaged from this.  If you would like to express your discontent over this move with Atari, I would suggest writing a letter and mailing it to their customer service division.

While I understand that it's Atari that made the call, I have never seen any explenation anywhere that Obsidian is a division of Atari? As they are not, they should, and do have a say on that matter. Let's face it, on some level the bosses on Obsidian decided it was if not a great idea, at least something they should try.

Anyway, this is my last post on Obsidian forum about my discontent. There is no need on saying the same thing over and over again. Moderators and the developers are not the people who had done anything wrong, so I'm going to stop make them feel like they have.

As for mailing Atari, I might just do that. Not that I think that they actually care that some chick from northern Europe is gravely dissapointed at a forum move. I am just one person out of milions of poeple who buy their products.

BTW, is it safe to assume, given what your sig states, that you have created some custom content or have run a PW for NWN1?  If this is the case, I'd be interested in hearing whether you ever felt that the atmosphere here at the Obsidian boards was "trollish", "unpleasant", or "hostile to CC creators".  Thank you in advance.

Firstly. I gave this a big thought and decided that people on Obsidian and BioWare forum definitly disagree on what is "trollish", "hostile", and "unpleasant". Personly, even with the people who are pointed out as trolls (like Hades for example) I still see this as a nice, friendly and cozy corner of the Internet. People here are friendly and joke about with each other, even though in the next thread they have completely opposit ideas and drag the discussion to an eternity. They do understand the difference between a joke and trolling.

BioWare on the other hand, with all their rules and banning is a stiff, cold and unfriendly forum. Take a look at the "welcome" thread in the new NWN2 forums. There is this unfriendly and supercilious guy, who when joked about and to reacts with a threat to Rhomal(!!) that he'll report Rhomal to the BioWare moderators.

About the fact what people think of DLA. I truly believe people are excagerating. I do not remember any agreements anywhere, where it said that once you became a community developer you cannot take money from BioWare. Especially since the same people who call you traitors would love to have a steady job on BioWare or Obsidian geting paid for what they love to do. In the end every one of us does something because we love it, and because it feels good to get recognision. Although the recognision of my players means a lot to me, it doesn't pay any bills. If BioWare, or Obsidian told me I could work for them, I would take the opportunity and do that, making money doing something I have loved for the last 2 years.

Now to the "trolls" you speak about. I truly must say that I don't remember any posts that were hostile to you. Reading lots of posts, and concentrating on NWN2 ideas, I truly must say that I haven't payed attention and have no clue what posts you are talking about. Since the are deeply affecting your view of these forums, please point me to them and then we'll have a discussion about it.

And yes, I am one of the leaders on a pw. But no, not the one who "put it out". Funny that you noticed the signature, since many people don't and talk to me like I have no clue about the troubles of a pw.

I really have no information to add to the present discussion other than to address Memengwa's concern about whether or not your presence is valued. I have to say personally that I have not stuck with BIS-Obsidian this long as a volunteer mod other than that I do care. I won't sweeten the sentement - after all Obsidian is a company that is obviously 'for-profit', but it has always seemed to me that it is concerned with community building and respect of its customers (aka members) ... things aren't perfect, but it is a company that does value members Memengwa - if it didn't many of us would not be here fwiiw >_

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The only thing that bothers me on Bio forums is the implementation itself. I would hang around there if it was as functional, light (especially in lo-fi mode), ergonomic and usable as these (Invision's) forums. You would laugh, but it is the ONLY reason for me for not going there.

It's not just you, Percival. I've noticed it as well. The DA forums over there are a madhouse, and the NWN1 boards have always had topics disappearing to the second page so rapidly that it is hard to keep up. In contrast, I've hung out for five hours at the Bio NWN2 boards only see about seven posts added to topics in the General Discussion forum.

At first there was lot

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I really have no information to add to the present discussion other than to address Memengwa's concern about whether or not your presence is valued. I have to say personally that I have not stuck with BIS-Obsidian this long as a volunteer mod other than that I do care. I won't sweeten the sentement - after all Obsidian is a company that is obviously 'for-profit', but it has always seemed to me that it is concerned with community building and respect of its customers (aka members) ... things aren't perfect, but it is a company that does value members Memengwa - if it didn't many of us would not be here fwiiw :)

I think something to keep in mind is that NWN2 is but one game, and that there will be more from Obsidian and so a more expansive or vibrant community. That may be a while yet, and losing the NWN2 forums definately took a big wind out of the forum's sails, but it is only temporary.

As for the lack of a replacement forum, Obsidian have been extremely busy; the move of the forums also coincided with their passing of a "major milestone" in NWN2's development, so the resources for tending to these boards just haven't been available.

Essentially, we've got to be patient. Just think, you'll be able to reminisce on the forums in a few years time about The Big Move of '05 and how you were there and witnessed the blood and tears. :)

newlogo.gif

Essentially, we've got to be patient. Just think, you'll be able to reminisce on the forums in a few years time about The Big Move of '05 and how you were there and witnessed the blood and tears. :)

I think there has been enough blood and tears with black isle/obsidian... Sadly. :)

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I have not participated on these forums, that is true.

Now, this is not a dig at the obsidian forums

That is how I see it. These forums always put me in a sour mood.

Really? You created an account here so you could bash the Obsidian forum members. You also posted on the Bioware site, again bashing the Obsidian forums (the same exact argument). For a person who complains that he

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The sort of people we need around are those who are interested in gaming and willing to discuss it without resorting to flames and trolling. There's been a lot of talk lately about "communities" and so forth, which incorporates people from all aspects of the hobby.

Saying we don't need certain sorts based on accusations isn't exactly helping anything, after all. All are welcome here, of course, I'd very much like it to seem that way.

newlogo.gif

The sort of people we need around are those who are interested in gaming and willing to discuss it without resorting to flames and trolling. There's been a lot of talk lately about "communities" and so forth, which incorporates people from all aspects of the hobby.

Saying we don't need certain sorts based on accusations isn't exactly helping anything, after all. All are welcome here, of course, I'd very much like it to seem that way.

I do not care who they are, and what they do, as long as it's nice.

Right.

That said, it's never been the aim of any of the moderator team to restrict the boards to the point of everyone always has to be nice and friendly and whatnot, all we ask is that people treat each other with respect.

newlogo.gif

Right.

That said, it's never been the aim of any of the moderator team to restrict the boards to the point of everyone always has to be nice and friendly and whatnot, all we ask is that people treat each other with respect.

can we make fun of the moderators though? 8)

I'm afraid too :ph34r: