Wich game had the best ingame feeling?

Hampus

Wich game should be looked at for guidance to NWN2?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Wich game should be looked at for guidance to NWN2?

• BG1 - TOTSC
    • BG2 - TOB
    • IWD - HOW
    • IWD 2

Please feel free to comment anything or add your beleifs :x

Please dont kick this poll in the a*se :rolleyes:

The question is wich game gave you the greatest feeling of roleplaying?! :D

I voted Baldurs 1, though it was a toss up between Baldurs1 and Icewind Dale1 (mainly because the locations were so imaginative)

Baldurs Gate i felt let you do what you wanted. You could go anywhere, and do anything. No restrictions on locations. I also loved the storyline, and there was none of that 'I am a god' which got stupid in baldurs 2.

I also prefered the monsters, the npcs, and scripting. Storyline was better as well, and i grew to love the characters in the game, which i didn't really in the rest.

However, i loved all the locations in IceWind, but i thought the end was really bad, and the npcs and characters were all really underused. But the ghost Elf Tower alone made IceWind brilliant.

I'd like to answer with 'none of the above'. Although each was a pretty fun game to play, I don't feel as if any of them managed to even compare with the great mood generated by the NWN game. The 3D graphics, surround sound, and pin-point lighting of NWN surely beat any of the games listed on the poll.

I'd like to answer with 'none of the above'. Although each was a pretty fun game to play, I don't feel as if any of them managed to even compare with the great mood generated by the NWN game. The 3D graphics, surround sound, and pin-point lighting of NWN surely beat any of the games listed on the poll.

not a chance baldurs gate2 the beggining was better than the whole of nwn which lacked in all departments. The lighting was really bad in nwn, and i prefered the 3d graphics in games such as icewind dale2 or baldurs2 purely because they looked realistic. Nwn felt like you were playing in a cartoon, some of the textures were terrible.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Baldur's Gate 2 was two-dimensional, not three. =>_>= Plus, the creatures in there were no less cartoony than those in NWN, since they were simply sprites. It lacked much of an all-enveloping environment due to the lack in the graphics department. However, its only redeeming quality really was the great storyline. I'd like to see something more of that in NWN2, but please, no more deities meddling amongst mortals or family members in need of rescue. In Baldur's Gate 2, they pretty much wrote the biography of your character for you, taking away from the feel of uniqueness one would want to feel from playing a character of their own creation

The combat system wasn't bad either, but nothing that I would look forward in seeing in NWN2.

ultima underworld 2.

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."

"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"

"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."

Hate to burst your bubble, but Baldur's Gate 2 was two-dimensional, not three. =>_>= Plus, the creatures in there were no less cartoony than those in NWN, since they were simply sprites. It lacked much of an all-enveloping environment due to the lack in the graphics department. However, its only redeeming quality really was the great storyline. I'd like to see something more of that in NWN2, but please, no more deities meddling amongst mortals or family members in need of rescue. In Baldur's Gate 2, they pretty much wrote the biography of your character for you, taking away from the feel of uniqueness one would want to feel from playing a character of their own creation

The combat system wasn't bad either, but nothing that I would look forward in seeing in NWN2.

This post shows all of your ignorance and lack of understanding thowards the matter. You don't necessarily have to like Baldur's Gate, but such a demented and disrespectful post is really offending.

Baldur's Gate II graphics were great, the 2d engine made a fantastic work and I'm pretty confident that Throne of Bhaal reached a higher graphical "realism" than NWN (I've never been incredibly fond of NWN appearence, in fact).

But it's not the graphic part that I found the most outrageous in your post: it's what you wrote about the character background. The pre-determination of your character biography was exactly what made the storyline so unique. WHAT THE HELL do you mean with the statement :<<they pretty much wrote the biography of your character for you, taking away from the feel of uniqueness one would want to feel from playing a character of their own creation>>.

Now, don't make me laugh. What kind of background creation do you expect in a videogame? What possibilities gave you NWN regarding that? None, none at all. Your character wasn't customized, but the exact opposite, flat and totally lacking of detail and personality.

And finally, those elements that you find disturbing and unappropriate were quite interesting and stimulating in my opinion. There was no single moment in all of the NWN campaigns (OC, SOU and HOtU) that I've found as involving as Imoen's rescue.

This post isn't meant to flame you or cause pointless controversy, but I felt obliged to manifest my strong dissent regarding almost all of your points, in fear similar ideas may end up influencing negatively (in my opinion) one of the games I await with greatest anticipation...

This post shows all of your ignorance and lack of understanding thowards the matter. You don't necessarily have to like Baldur's Gate, but such a demented and disrespectful post is really offending.

Baldur's Gate II graphics were great, the 2d engine made a fantastic work and I'm pretty confident that Throne of Bhaal reached a higher graphical "realism" than NWN (I've never been incredibly fond of NWN appearence, in fact).

But it's not the graphic part that I found the most outrageous in your post: it's what you wrote about the character background. The pre-determination of your character biography was exactly what made the storyline so unique. WHAT THE HELL do you mean with the statement :<<they pretty much wrote the biography of your character for you, taking away from the feel of uniqueness one would want to feel from playing a character of their own creation>>.

Now, don't make me laugh. What kind of background creation do you expect in a videogame? What possibilities gave you NWN regarding that? None, none at all. Your character wasn't customized, but the exact opposite, flat and totally lacking of detail and personality.

And finally, those elements that you find disturbing and unappropriate were quite interesting and stimulating in my opinion. There was no single moment in all of the NWN campaigns (OC, SOU and HOtU) that I've found as involving as Imoen's rescue.

This post isn't meant to flame you or cause pointless controversy, but I felt obliged to manifest my strong dissent regarding almost all of your points, in fear similar ideas may end up influencing negatively (in my opinion) one of the games I await with greatest anticipation...

Now thats exactly my view. Even though nwn maybe a 3d engine, i personally think the flat, warcraft look of the game made it worse than those before it. You may have liked nwns graphics, but they were flat, uninteresting and uninspired. Just because they were graphic sprites doesn't mean they were less realistic than those in nwn. The enviroment was easily better than anything created in nwn. The Towns, Cities underground areas were easily better.

I still go back and play the baldurs gate and icewind dale games, but i've only ever completed nwn and the expansions once, and i won't be going back to them. To say i play baldurs gate, a gate which is now 7 years old is testament to the game. I like many others love them to bits.

Actually I partly agree with him about the background of your character. The only part they left up to the player was deciding what profession you trained in while growing up in Candlekeep. Other than that, your entire background was written by Bioware.

I voted for Tales of the Sword Coast because at that point in the series it was somewhate more fun. I really disliked the series later on when you worked your way closer to being a God. A God... Oh please. We have enough "save the world" games out there. Did we really need a "become a god" game? I like just a basic band of adventurer's find a dangerous dungeon type of storyline.

Now thats exactly my view. Even though nwn maybe a 3d engine, i personally think the flat, warcraft look of the game made it worse than those before it. You may have liked nwns graphics, but they were flat, uninteresting and uninspired. Just because they were graphic sprites doesn't mean they were less realistic than those in nwn. The enviroment was easily better than anything created in nwn. The Towns, Cities underground areas were easily better.

I still go back and play the baldurs gate and icewind dale games, but i've only ever completed nwn and the expansions once, and i won't be going back to them. To say i play baldurs gate, a gate which is now 7 years old is testament to the game. I like many others love them to bits.

Agreed. 2D or not, BG2 still looked a 1000 times better than NWN. I think the transition to 3D should not have been made that soon, even if other games were doing it. The 3D technology at the time was just not that great. Only now is it reaching a stage where things are becoming more believable.

Not only that, but the artwork in BG2 was far more awe-inspiring and realistic than NWN's. Every area was unique, and looked well thought out. (I could point out hundreds of things in NWN where the artwork was really shoddy.)

Couple all that with a superb story, and you have a true classic. I'm yet to find any real problem with any of the BG series, the original was equally brilliant. You really felt like you were part of something greater. It was also challenging, whereas NWN was an uberfest with virtually no chance of dying no matter how badly you played.

BG2 is the better game than the OC. But, NWN *easily* has better overall graphics though the backgrounds for BG2 were better in many ways.

"The lighting was really bad in nwn"

You nuts? NWN has some of the best lighting in ANY game. Any game whatsoever.

"There was no single moment in all of the NWN campaigns (OC, SOU and HOtU) that I've found as involving as Imoen's rescue."

I can think of at least 10.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

PST is the one they should be looking at. If the story is not outlined unfortunately you get some random quest where nothing really influences anything else. But in Torment you had it all. I think they should do a story line with the insipiration of PST. I'm not saying they should do the same exact thing. But that they should use the same inspiration and story writing as well as versatility in the campaign. so the dev's should go to that place that gave them the inspiration for PST and see if they can do at again with NWN2....

...why is Planescape: Torment not an option in the poll???...this poll is incomplete; NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Yes, I'll withhold my vote too... <_>

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Of the limited selection, I choose IWD. Long after the fact for every game, I find that IWD is still my favorite of the crowd. I've played it more often than the rest and I enjoyed the game more than the rest.

I loved them all, though, and the TotSC expansion, with Durlog's Tower, is a close second. I'm not counting expansion packs, though, and I think it's unfair to include them as a package with the original game. After all, you have to buy them separately.

Anyhow, someone throw Sarge a raw steak and beat him with a stick. We need to get him back in his cage.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Geh, people get touchy when you bring about the faults that you see in their favorite game, eh? Anyways, in contrary to your point of view, I was not insulting BG2. I personally enjoyed playing it, but was merely pointing out the things that that I saw in it and would not like to experience again in NWN2, if it could be helped. =:thumbsup:

I really liked BG2:ToB except that Melissan character. It should have been you vs. other bhaalspawn (Highlander rip off - there can only be one). Fight against Melissan was anti-climatic and it hurt the whole bhaalsage ending.

Best parts

- Old enemy as your team mate

- Fun high level action with gimp group

- Standing stones and funky vocoder effect

- Upgrading obscure items

- Group teleport to own plane

- Learning aspects of your characters personality

Bad parts

- Melissan

-

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.