Why no XBOX live??

Does anyone know why K2 is not "live" enabled?

Simple enough question that I have yet to find an answer to. You would think that if you have a rushed game, "live" would allow you to fix it, add to it, etc. It really irritates the hell out of me; every other review on K2 I read stated that it would be "live" enabled. I know this is just beating a dead horse, but I would like an answer.

Simple enough question that I have yet to find an answer to.  You would think that if you have a rushed game, "live" would allow you to fix it, add to it, etc.  It really irritates the hell out of me; every other review on K2 I read stated that it would be "live" enabled.  I know this is just beating a dead horse, but I would like an answer.

Why would it be live-enabled? To add to the game? To release fixes? And who would be bankrolling the production of add-ons and fixes? Kotor is not Obsidian's property, they're just the developers. You should direct the question towards whomever actually makes the decisions about post-production support for Star Wars videogames.

Simple enough question that I have yet to find an answer to.  You would think that if you have a rushed game, "live" would allow you to fix it, add to it, etc.  It really irritates the hell out of me; every other review on K2 I read stated that it would be "live" enabled.  I know this is just beating a dead horse, but I would like an answer.

hmmm interesting Ephany on a different forum thread states she plays KotOR2 via XBox live! LOL

I dont have xbox live so cant answer your question (as doesnt relate to me). I have a decent computer for my online content ;)

hmmm interesting Ephany on a different forum thread states she plays KotOR2 via XBox live!

Show me where I said that, you asinine twit. For someone that states you don't read my posts, you sure as hell love to make **** up about me every time you get the opportunity. Get off my nut sack, I'm tired of you constantly hanging on it.

Why would it be live-enabled? To add to the game? To release fixes? And who would be bankrolling the production of add-ons and fixes? Kotor is not Obsidian's property, they're just the developers. You should direct the question towards whomever actually makes the decisions about post-production support for Star Wars videogames.

Thanks for the info ***wipe. All of what you had to say was useless to me. Just so YOU know, I don't care who does what, at what time and for whom. I asked a simple question. Why no XBOX live?? Obviously you don't have the answer, so **** off.

I wonder that too... the developers said there was gonna be Xbox Live, but no... I guess we'll just have to purchase the PC version in our own ways and then wait for the patches.

I guess that's the penalty for an early release for the Xbox. Those who have to wait more will experience a less buggy experience, as I have heard the developers are fixing a few bugs for the international version.

I wonder that too... the developers said there was gonna be Xbox Live, but no...

i cant recall how far along the development process, but the devs DID state that there would NOT be xbox live. i believe it was sometime in either september or october when they were "clarifying" all those magazine previews which stated that xbox live would be available.

what would you have done on live? pazaak? swoop races? sounds like something you could live without...

You missed the point. He wanted it Live enabled, like the first game was. See, if it was live enabled, then we could have downloadable content, such as a patch for the bugs/glitches. They could even have finished the droid factory and put that up as downloadable content if they wanted. Live isn't just for online gaming, it has a bunch of content that can be downloaded for a various games.

what would you have done on live? pazaak? swoop races? sounds like something you could live without...

You missed the point. He wanted it Live enabled, like the first game was. See, if it was live enabled, then we could have downloadable content, such as a patch for the bugs/glitches. They could even have finished the droid factory and put that up as downloadable content if they wanted. Live isn't just for online gaming, it has a bunch of content that can be downloaded for a various games.

Exactly. I'm glad you had the patience to explain this.

I wonder that too... the developers said there was gonna be Xbox Live, but no...

i cant recall how far along the development process, but the devs DID state that there would NOT be xbox live. i believe it was sometime in either september or october when they were "clarifying" all those magazine previews which stated that xbox live would be available.

Maybe it is a question of how credible this magazine is, but in the January issue of OXM-Nihilus cover (official xbox magazine) they stated that they couldn't wait for the download content (xbox live). This is January, maybe they missed the memo.

couple points...

1) Xbox does not allow "patches" for their games. They do allow "content updates". Now, there is grey area concerning "content updates that over-write previously buggy code". This isn't guessing, this is fact. I worked at Xbox for a couple years and was on the certification team that yeah or nayed games, content, demos, etc.

2) Xbox live enabled is a remarkably tricky thing to add to a game, especially with the latest updates that live! has gone through. For most games it's expensive and not really worthwhile. Look at KOTOR. They probably blew a couple months integrating Live! and then they released a single content update that kinda blew. Not a big time/profit payoff.

3) Whether Obsidian pursued making KOTOR2 Live! enable came down to the money men, namely LucasArts. If they decided that it wasn't fiscally lucrative to make KOTOR2 Live! enabled or they decided that they weren't going to fund any additional content creation, then Obsidian had it's hands tied and couldn't do it.

4) The game magazine industry is really bad about going to print with information that is already dated and wrong. The january OXM probably was created in oct/nov, printed in Dec, and then shipped in Jan. Most game mags follow that pattern.

I hope this helps Retnuh

... sorry, my bad -_-'

couple points...

1) Xbox does not allow "patches" for their games. They do allow "content updates". Now, there is grey area concerning "content updates that over-write previously buggy code". This isn't guessing, this is fact. I worked at Xbox for a couple years and was on the certification team that yeah or nayed games, content, demos, etc.

2) Xbox live enabled is a remarkably tricky thing to add to a game, especially with the latest updates that live! has gone through.  For most games it's expensive and not really worthwhile.  Look at KOTOR. They probably blew a couple months integrating Live! and then they released a single content update that kinda blew. Not a big time/profit payoff.

3) Whether Obsidian pursued making KOTOR2 Live! enable came down to the money men, namely LucasArts.  If they decided that it wasn't fiscally lucrative to make KOTOR2 Live! enabled or they decided that they weren't going to fund any additional content creation, then Obsidian had it's hands tied and couldn't do it.

4) The game magazine industry is really bad about going to print with information that is already dated and wrong. The january OXM probably was created in oct/nov, printed in Dec, and then shipped in Jan. Most game mags follow that pattern.

I hope this helps Retnuh

Thanks for the information TentamusDarkblade. This sheds some light on why LA passed on funding live or why Obsidian decided they wouldn't pursue it.

Do you think it is possible for LA/Obsidian to make additional content and allow OXM to peddle it or possibly make their(LA/Obsidian) own disc to sell? I personally don't think so, but I HOPE so. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

OB can't create it's own content for KOTOR2 without LucasArts. They'd need the funding to assign staff to working on it, they'd need LA's QA team to test the new content, then they'd need LA's approval to ship it out for KOTOR2, since KOTOR2 is LA's property, and they'd need LA to get the new content through Xbox's certification process.

Right now i'd pin my hopes on either a re-printing of the game that includes bug fixes or that LA moves quickly to start production on KOTOR3 so we have something to look forward to.

OB can't create it's own content for KOTOR2 without LucasArts.  They'd need the funding to assign staff to working on it, they'd need LA's QA team to test the new content, then they'd need LA's approval to ship it out for KOTOR2, since KOTOR2 is LA's property, and they'd need LA to get the new content through Xbox's certification process.

Right now i'd pin my hopes on either a re-printing of the game that includes bug fixes or that LA moves quickly to start production on KOTOR3 so we have something to look forward to.

I don't think they will re-print, actually I doubt they will change anything at all. I think that all (including me) who are hoping for "repairs" will just have to bite the bullet and wait for K3, which I might add, will probably be a launch title for the next xbox.

One thing that was brought up in the past and should maybe be brought to light yet again. Since they used the same engine and the codeing was already in place for Xbox live why didn't they just leave it in so that if they happened to get the greenlight later on to update somethings Via additional content or whatever then they could? Instead they decided or were told to take that code out leaving anyone who purchased the US Xbox version at the short end of the stick. Personaly I would have loved to finaly be able to play the HK factory but I guess we will have to wait until the PC version is released and someone cracks the code so everyone can access it.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

No X-Box live because X-Box Live is meant for multiplayer games while KotOR 2 is a single player game.  Its just that simple.

Two words for you Hades... Ninja Gaiden! :thumbsup::)"

couple points...

Wrong! Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow along with almost every other XBox live title has received patches both minor and major. A patch for Battlefront will be released this month which will correct various problems with the game and increase the multiplayer max to 32. The patch will also feature a new map called Jabba's place.

2) Xbox live enabled is a remarkably tricky thing to add to a game, especially with the latest updates that live! has gone through.  For most games it's expensive and not really worthwhile.  Look at KOTOR. They probably blew a couple months integrating Live! and then they released a single content update that kinda blew. Not a big time/profit payoff.

Kind of blew? Well I guess that