Question: Why was Darth Nihilus hyped so much

^^^^^^^^

Not really false advertisement but misleading advertisement.

Obsidian/LA threw Darth Nihilus's face on almost anything and everything TSL. But yet out of the 3 Sith Lords, his role was the smallest. Sion had more of a role then Nihilus.

Thats one of many questions I have.

Hell out of the 3 Sith Lords he was the easiest to defeat.

I believe since he looked more appealing they decided to hype him up. If you ask me thats something a little kid would do. "Oh WOW! He looks soooo cool man! We should just use him to put on the pictures for TSL. Man he looks soooo cool!"

...Pathetic.... :)

There has been a lot of discussion about Darth Nihilus throughout these boards...and I've been lurking on these boards for longer than my registration says so I've seen some of these hypotheses, ideas, comments evolve.

Well, I can think of two main reasons behind the "Darth Nihilus" syndrome.

1) It/He truly IS just a marketing ploy. He's undoubtably (sp?) one of the better looking villains in 'Sith Lords'. I mean, if Darth Sion was plastered everywhere, would you be as eager to pick up TSL? Aesthitics aside, Nihilus seems the most likely candidate for posting his image everywhere....I mean, come on, the game IS called the SITH Lords.

2) Darth Nihilus plays a larger role in the game than most gamers realize. True, he's mentioned a lot in the game before you actually encounter him. But after playing the game again I'm finding more and more similarities between the Exile and the description given to Nihilus. Also, a lot of posters here have given a lot of theories on Nihilus that I've thought about. I'm thinking that maybe

Nihilus and the Exile are related

. Pardon the tags, but I wouldn't use them unless you beat the game...

This isn't the 'Spoiler' forum so please excuse them. The more I think about the relationship, the more I'm convinced it's true.

Just my ramblings...

Well, if you look closely into the storyline of K2 Nihilus played a huge role.

He was the one striking at the Jedi from the shadows, as well as Sion, but on a much more grand scale. He killed Zhar and Vandar :) and learned the greatest of the Sith teachings. He appeared throughout the game to be unstoppable but it was just an over exaggeration from a gamer's "point of view".

I think him being advertised was appropriate.

At first I thought... he was very cool looking, so why not use him?

But after reading Franky's reply... I think that might be it. Had the game not be rushed, that may have been explored and... they might have made him harder to defeat. :)

Actually, I thought that the reason why

Nihilus was so weak was because he was very drained from not having anyone to feed off of. The last time he feasted was on Katarr, and from then on he hasn't had much to live off of. Kreia realized this when Visas Marr came aboard, and tricked Nihilus to believe there was a Jedi Academy on Telos where he could feed again. Nihilus, extremely desperate, rushed to Telos to feed his hunger, but it turned out to be a trap: there was only one Jedi on Telos, and he was extremely weakened. The Exile then came aboard the Ravager and destroyed him easily. Kreia thus got her revenge on Nihilus who betrayed her in the first place.

Nihilus was so weak was because he was very drained from not having anyone to feed off of. The last time he feasted was on Katarr, and from then on he hasn't had much to live off of. Kreia realized this when Visas Marr came aboard, and tricked Nihilus to believe there was a Jedi Academy on Telos where he could feed again. Nihilus, extremely desperate, rushed to Telos to feed his hunger, but it turned out to be a trap: there was only one Jedi on Telos, and he was extremely weakened. The Exile then came aboard the Ravager and destroyed him easily. Kreia thus got her revenge on Nihilus who betrayed her in the first place.

that sounds like a good explanation

Naw, that is just a well put together excuse. Don't give me that

He was too weak

crap.

Just admit it. Obsidian used Nihilus only because he looked more appealing and same with Atris. So Obsidian felt that these two characters would open the eyes of the KOTOR fans. And to tell you the truth they prevailed. Everyone was talking about the Masked Sith and the White-Haired Jedi.

Just like when they made that wallpaper of the two fighting each other.

Spoiler:

He couldn't use his hunger ability off the exile because the exile was immune to it because of his unique connection. It was also the exile who taught nihilus how to do the hunger thing in a round about way. kreia led him to a confrontation with the exile because she knew he was ready to face him not that nihilus was weak. He actually hurt himself trying to drain the exile. Kreia prepared the exile for his confrontation with the others and also proclaimed him as the greatest of all her students, that includes nihilus, sion, and even revan.

Spoiler:

He couldn't use his hunger ability off the exile because the exile was immune to it because of his unique connection. It was also the exile who taught nihilus how to do the hunger thing in a round about way. kreia led him to a confrontation with the exile because she knew he was ready to face him not that nihilus was weak. He actually hurt himself trying to drain the exile. Kreia prepared the exile for his confrontation with the others and also proclaimed him as the greatest of all her students, that includes nihilus, sion, and even revan.

yup. And what D Murda said.

Just admit it. Obsidian used Nihilus only because he looked more appealing and same with Atris.

Wow, you've just completely nailed the whole concept of marketing! CONGRATULATIONS!

I have to wonder about the average IQ of the posters here when they start complaining about commercials. Nihilus is on the posters, Nihilus is in the game. What is your problem? Does the ad say "featuring Darth Nihilus, the most awesomest hardest badassesest coolnessest hardcoresest Sith mofo of all freakin' time!" NO. If that's the ASSUMPTION you leaped to based on the publicity for the game then, HA-HA, you're just another gullible consumer gimp. A marketing monkey's wet dream. The kind of person who likes Vin Diesel movies.

And, a small point that seems to escape the grasp of just about everyone, OBSIDIAN JUST MADE THE GAME. If you don't like the way it's been advertised, or the picture on the insert, or the feel of the plastic case, or the shape of the dvd, then perhaps you should complain to those who are actually responsible for those things.

He was too weak

crap.

Just admit it. Obsidian used Nihilus only because he looked more appealing and same with Atris. So Obsidian felt that these two characters would open the eyes of the KOTOR fans. And to tell you the truth they prevailed. Everyone was talking about the Masked Sith and the White-Haired Jedi.

considering malak was on the cover of kotor1, i dont see the big deal. he didnt exactly have a tonne more "air time" than nihilus, and atris definitely had a bigger part in the story in terms of "air time" than malak did in kotor1.

He was too weak

crap.

considering malak was on the cover of kotor1, i dont see the big deal. he didnt exactly have a tonne more "air time" than nihilus, and atris definitely had a bigger part in the story in terms of "air time" than malak did in kotor1.

Okay now you are just talking out of crazyness. You CANNOT sit there and say Malak was no different then Nihlius. Atleast Malak WAS the FINAL boss. He was the MAIN boss and the person you were seeking throughout the WHOLE game. I mean the storyline in a way centered around him. You were to go back in re-visit the places that Revan and Malak visited years ago so you can put together the puzzle to see how you track down and defeat Malak.

Also Malak had more of a backstory as well as he was your past apprentice/friend who betrayed you and took the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.

It was MALAK who ordered the destruction of Taris. It was MALAK who ordered the destruction of the Jedi Academy on Dantooine. It was MALAK that you were trying to save Bastilla from. It was MALAK who had soul possesion of the Star Forge.

With all that stuff, Malak had MORE of a part in the story then Mask face. Yes Mask face was one of the 3 Sith Lords. Yes he was the master of the Blind one. And yes he was the who destory the Blind one's planet. THATS IT. Malak has more on him.

That was a poor example by you. But nice try though.

Hell

Malak in TSL on Korriban was almost the same amount of screen time as Mask Face. Hell, too add more you even fight Malak (In a way) on Korriban in TSL.

He was too weak

crap.

Actually, it's not an excuse for

him being weak in that battle. His whole gimmick is this hunger thing, and he hadn't fed in a while

It is a logical part of the plot, as several have stated so far.

I don't disagree with the fact that he was hyped up a lot, but as others have said, that's marketing. He looks pretty cool, and even if Atris never fought him (or never knew he existed, except as some vague, abstract threat) it gives the classic Star Wars symbolism of good vs. evil. Also, Obsidian probably took great pleasure in twisting that symbolism - especially after questioning your preconceptions of dark and light throughout the game.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Okay now you are just talking out of crazyness. You CANNOT sit there and say Malak was no different then Nihlius. Atleast Malak WAS the FINAL boss. He was the MAIN boss and the person you were seeking throughout the WHOLE game. I mean the storyline in a way centered around him. You were to go back in re-visit the places that Revan and Malak visited years ago so you can put together the puzzle to see how you track down and defeat Malak.

Also Malak had more of a backstory as well as he was your past apprentice/friend who betrayed you and took the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.

It was MALAK who ordered the destruction of Taris. It was MALAK who ordered the destruction of the Jedi Academy on Dantooine. It was MALAK that you were trying to save Bastilla from. It was MALAK who had soul possesion of the Star Forge.

With all that stuff, Malak had MORE of a part in the story then Mask face. Yes Mask face was one of the 3 Sith Lords. Yes he was the master of the Blind one. And yes he was the who destory the Blind one's planet. THATS IT. Malak has more on him.

That was a poor example by you. But nice try though.

Hell

Malak in TSL on Korriban was almost the same amount of screen time as Mask Face. Hell, too add more you even fight Malak (In a way) on Korriban in TSL.

did i say that? i said he didnt exactly have a tonne more air time. never did i say he didnt have more. and you confused my comment about being a big part of the story. i said that ATRIS was just as big a part of the story as malak, which she was. in fact, she had MORE of a story early on than malak did. the only part of the story malak really dominated were cutscenes and a final battle.

also, its the sith lordS. so obviously all three needed to be a part of the story so it would be next to impossible (and quite stupid) if just one of them got the same kind of exposure as malak did. nihilus got a couple of cutscenes, a full npc party member who talks endlessly about him through dialogue (visas) and a final battle. not sure what else you wanted out of his character, other than to dominate the exposure, which would have meant they might as well call the game the sith lord (singular).

Blah Blah Blah,

We can debate this until the sun sets. But lets just say this, say if/when KOTOR 3 comes out and they describe why Nihilus was how he was in the game

precisely, why he fell so easily to the Exile

, would everyone be happy?

Personally, his PRESENCE was felt more than his actual persona. I mean..

(SPOILERS MAN!!!!!!)

He's a friggin world killer, he's destroying everyone and every living thing. Every player, including myself, is looking at this and thinking "OMG, Its the boss!!!!". Was I disappointed? Yeah. But after thinking about it and playing the game again, I'm understanding on maybe why he was how he was. Just listen how everyone describes the Exile and Nihilus. Note down how the similarities are and then we'll talk. I think if/when KOTOR 3 comes out, we'll understand things more...much like ESB and ROtJ.

Peace out, baby.

But we already know who Nihilus was. Apparently he "is of Malachor" and got away from there by taking the Ravager and making it work again. Apparently Traya was his master for a while, and he learned Hunger from the Trayus Academy, and he feeds on others to live.

That's all I know so far.

Bah! Nihilis looks cool and that's the only reason he was overhyped by both the gamers and the devs. It was never stated how important or prominent Nihilis would be in TSL, it was automatically assumed he would be the main villain because he looks the part, instead of dumb Sion who just looks like a goon.

I don't mind that Nihilis wasn't the main villain, however I'm extremely disappointed he was reduced to a mere cameo in terms of screentime and when you finally face him, he's a pansy. Man I wish Nihilis and Sion had been reversed, maybe someone will make a mod for the PC version that will allow that to be done and then I'll be happier. Oh well...

I don't mind that Nihilis wasn't the main villain, however I'm extremely disappointed he was reduced to a mere cameo in terms of screentime and when you finally face him, he's a pansy. Man I wish Nihilis and Sion had been reversed, maybe someone will make a mod for the PC version that will allow that to be done and then I'll be happier. Oh well...

i wouldnt say he was only a "cameo" in terms of screen time. he had atleast two major cutscenes that i can think of, and most, if not all, of visas' dialogue is about him, not to mention a bit of kreia's is about him and his power. plus, of course, the battle against him.

thats not to say he was played up as much as malak, but he also wasnt just a minor character with barely any air time.

Of course this is just my opinion but two cutscenes and one battle hardly mount up to anything beyond a cameo. Sure he might have been talked about, his actions might have had influence in what was going on but the character himself really did almost nothing within the actual game. Been talked about is not presenting an actual presence for me, like many others I thought Nihilis would be given quite a large visible role in the game and am hugely disapoointed he wasn't.

Considering how "important" we were allowed to believe he would eventually be, Nihilis ended up being just someone encountered in passing, kind of like Saul Karath in the original. Granted Nihilis was a little more important than Bandon in the first, but hardly comparable to screen time of Malak who was virtually in every evil cutscene and had 2 battles with the PC.

Like I mentioned hopefully I'll be able to switch him with Sion so that I have the actual interesting saber battles against the cool looking Sith Lord.

I liked Sion his voice was sweet I liked how it sounded like two voices at once kind of made him eerie. He was a very intriguing chracter and

Kreia was main boss not him

. I was hoping when I first saw him Nihilus wasn't the main bad guy I didn't want to know who it was from the get go.