Where would you send a game concept/script?

Kaftan Barlast

Lets say that A. has a very good and thouroughly thought out concept/script for an RPG or Adventure game, one that A. cannot possibly make himself or as a mod project with others.

Where would he send it? And *should* he send it, and not just wait and see what happens in the next 10 or 20 years?

Have you ever heard of a publisher or a studio taking up on something like this like film companies do? I havent. From my experience companies are usually so boiling already with creative potential that they dont need, or want to, work with ideas from the outside.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Lets say that A. has a very good and thouroughly thought out concept/script for an RPG or Adventure game, one that A. cannot possibly make himself or as a mod project with others.

Where would he send it? And *should* he send it, and not just wait and see what happens in the next 10 or 20 years?

Have you ever heard of a publisher or a studio taking up on something like this like film companies do? I havent. From my experience companies are usually so boiling already with creative potential that they dont need, or want to, work with ideas from the outside.

Game companies do not accept scripts or ideas sent to them. Most of them state that they will destroy things sent to them without request immediately without reading them to protect themselves from "they stole my idea" claims later on.

you can try sending queries out though. Write a letter saying "Hi, i'm so and so. I wrote a game design involving X,Y, and Z. I think that it would be a great game for your company because A, B, and C. Would you be interested in looking at the fulll game design document?"

now, odds are that they're respond with "Thanks, but we already have a full plate" but you never know.

The next track is trying to get a low level position with a game company then pitching it internally. Many companies will take the time to at least look at employee pitches, plus you may be able to get a designer to take a look at your rough draft and give you polishing pointers.

The next track is trying to get a low level position with a game company then pitching it internally. Many companies will take the time to at least look at employee pitches, plus you may be able to get a designer to take a look at your rough draft and give you polishing pointers.

This is a very, very (veryvery) long shot. Pitching from outside the company is even more unlikely. If you have a *great* idea, best way to make it work for you is to scrounge up a team and bust ass until you have something playable.

There was a developer here in vancouver, I think it was Radical, that had a really good policy. Apparently when you pitch a project internally, you have to give up the rights to the idea. If they use it they have to credit you, but you can't take it anywhere else. This leads to people hordeing their ideas because they're afraid it will be rejected and they'll lose it. Radical decided that if they let their employees keep their ideas if its rejected, then more employees would bring their ideas forward and they'll end up with more potential IPs. Personally, I don;t know why more companies don't do this.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

On a related but slightly different topic i used to be very, very good at mathematics but after years of doing nothing to keep those skills in good condition due to family commitments i have discovered a talent for writing and while i had originally planned to go and study maths and computing in order to get into the programming area of games design i no longer think that is a viable option.

So i was wondering if anyone knew how to get started as a writer for games, i can also do basic level design if that would help? :sorcerer:

BioWare latest job opening for a writer stated

Must have at least two scripts that have been used in television or movies, or have at least one novel published by a major, internationally distributed publisher (ex. Wizards of the Coast, Random House).

The only flaw in this I see is that someone who gets scripts filmed or books published can make a lot more money on his own than working as a writer for Bio.

Seeing that ad has been there for a year now, kind if prooves that everyone but Bio has realised above truth.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Must have at least two scripts that have been used in television or movies, or have at least one novel published by a major, internationally distributed publisher (ex. Wizards of the Coast, Random House).

The only flaw in this I see is that someone who gets scripts filmed or books published can make a lot more money on his own than working as a writer for Bio.

Seeing that ad has been there for a year now, kind if prooves that everyone but Bio has realised above truth.

not true...freelance writing usually pays poorly and is pretty hit or miss. at least as an on site writer for a dev house yu have a solid salary income coming in, not to mention benefits.

not true...freelance writing usually pays poorly and is pretty hit or miss. at least as an on site writer for a dev house yu have a solid salary income coming in, not to mention benefits.

Thanks for info, does published poetry count? :thumbsup:

Will try and get my **** into gear then.

as far as i know, any published material can be considered when hiring a writer. BUT...you serious should only submit works that express your talents in what they're most likely going to be looking for. Things like Grammatical structure, natural dialog, character development, etc.

Professionally published work is always good though, since it shows you've been able to work within a deadline and have delivered quality work.

Game companies do not accept scripts or ideas sent to them. Most of them state that they will destroy things sent to them without request immediately without reading them to protect themselves from "they stole my idea" claims later on.

This is correct. Unsolicited submissions are not opened or read when received.

It's cliched, but the best way to make sure that something you want done gets done is to do it yourself. :blink: