Tales of the Jedi

I just got hold of a bunch of them Republic comics set during the clone wars and they're by far the best SW comics Ive read. Excellent artwork, good stories and actual Star Wars feeling. Too bad they have to be so obsessed by that darn Quinlan "kewl numetal jedi with dreads" Voss.

And if Nurbs ever comes back Ill tell the truth to his face- TotJ stinks. badly.

very true....nurb needs to face reality in general about starwars...

Im on the Ep1 ear comics now... they're only slightly less good than Republic Ep2(mostly because the clonewars makes a better background for storytelling). One annoying thing is that every John Doe out there is running around with a red lightsaber, Jedi master and darkside-wannabe alike. It aint right, damnit!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Of the TOTJ's, Redemption is certainly the best in terms of plotting, character building, pace, and utilization of thematic elements. I really liked the story. Its artwork is the best from any Star Wars comic I have seen.

It's quite unfortunate that it was the last of the TOTJ's. Easily the only thing written by KJA that I didn't think of as tripe or barely passable. If it came first, the quality of the rest of the series would have had to match it.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I finished reading all the TOTJ comic series except for "Redemption", mainly to see why people were commenting on its great depth and why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 should follow it really closely (technology wise as well as cannon wise). I liked its general story and plot ideas but I can understand why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 used different technology ideas. The way the spaceships are portrayed in TOTJ was really ridiculous for me. They have masts, rigs, sails, and even pretty much look like the Romans' triremes but there's one thing: it's space. The way they portray those ships, they wouldn't move an inch in space much less go into hyperspace.

Another thing were the clothes the chracters wore. They wore robes much like what the Greeks used to wear centuries ago much less than the normal clothes we see in K1 and K2. I thought it was a strange comparison, having ships that can have hyperdrives but wearing clothes of an ancient design.

I thought the lightsabers looked pretty good, especially in the Sith War. There were some inconsistencies in the Golden Age of the Sith comics when some Jedi used regular lightsabers and others used protosabers. Another inconsistency was when the ancestors of the Sith (the Dark Jedi) used lightsabers to battle the light Jedi but during the time of Ragnos' death they use regular swords.

The True Sith were way too much like the Egyptians. I mean the way they dressed and acted was exactly how the Egyptians dressed and acted. One time, Ludo Kreesh even says: "Marka Ragnos, enjoy these riches in the afterlife" after sealing his tomb (the interior of which looked similar to a pyramid) before loading it with gold and slaves.

Odan-Urr is such a powerful Jedi by the end of the Hyperspace War yet a thousand years later is destroyed by a single thought from Exar Kun. That's like Yoda being destroyed by thought by Anakin Skywalker (or Palpatine for that matter). That part struck me as weird.

All in all I thought it was a good comic series, but I thought Kevin Anderson went overboard in thinking up of ancient galaxies and resorted to our own world's history. I thought it was good that K1 and K2 didn't follow the books exactly. What do you guys think?

There are several explanations for the series not following the books. The art is going to be different, of course. If you have any problems, get over them. :lol:

There are many people complaining about the forbidden love. Don't you think that after having dozens of Jedi fall because of love, the Jedi would realize something was going on? I think they went a little overboard with it, but still.

Odan-Urr was cool, but after millenia of no practice against a Dark Lord, don't you think he would have become just the slightest bit rusty? Besides, Exar Kun was the most powerful Jedi of his time. It took thousands of Jedi to put him into suspended animation, and even then they had to capture his apprentice.

One thing I noticed. Exar was the Dark Lord, and Ulic was his 'apprentice,' but they seemed much more like the Sith in Kotor II, different factions w/ the same goal... Oh, well.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Can anyone explain how Exar Kun, and mostly every dark lord of the EU, manage to get absolutely ridicilously powerful within such hideously short timespans?

...and dont give me that "the darkside is easier and quicker", if that was true Emperor Palpatine wouldnt have needed the Death Star, he could just have run around trowing solar cores or extinguishing the lifeforce of rebellious planets.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

One ancient increadibly powerful evil Sith nailclipper to rule them all....

There are several explanations for the series not following the books. The art is going to be different, of course. If you have any problems, get over them.  :thumbsup:

I never had any issues about the art. I read for story.

There are many people complaining about the forbidden love. Don't you think that after having dozens of Jedi fall because of love, the Jedi would realize something was going on? I think they went a little overboard with it, but still.

Blame Lucas for that.

Odan-Urr was cool, but after millenia of no practice against a Dark Lord, don't you think he would have become just the slightest bit rusty? Besides, Exar Kun was the most powerful Jedi of his time. It took thousands of Jedi to put him into suspended animation, and even then they had to capture his apprentice.

You might be talking about the Jedi Academy trilogy, but in ToTJ Kun kills a grand total of 3 Jedi and 1 force ghost. And he manages to convert 20. Pathetic. And did you see Yoda fall before Dooku?

One thing I noticed. Exar was the Dark Lord, and Ulic was his 'apprentice,' but they seemed much more like the Sith in Kotor II, different factions w/ the same goal... Oh, well.

Except the K2 Sith are a lot cooler. :cool:

You might be talking about the Jedi Academy trilogy, but in ToTJ Kun kills a grand total of 3 Jedi and 1 force ghost. And he manages to convert 20. Pathetic. And did you see Yoda fall before Dooku?

Nope. I was referring to the fact that even in the end, it took thousands of Jedi to put Kun into hybernation. It says that he was a strong Jedi, that doesn't mean he was a suberb Sith Lord, just that he was strong in the ways of the Force. :p

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Can anyone explain how Exar Kun, and mostly every dark lord of the EU, manage to get absolutely ridicilously powerful within such hideously short timespans?

...and dont give me that "the darkside is easier and quicker", if that was true Emperor Palpatine wouldnt have needed the Death Star, he could just have run around trowing solar cores or extinguishing the lifeforce of rebellious planets.

Artifacts, and access to eventually lost powers and abilities.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Nope. I was referring to the fact that even in the end, it took thousands of Jedi to put Kun into hybernation. It says that he was a strong Jedi, that doesn't mean he was a suberb Sith Lord, just that he was strong in the ways of the Force.  :)

Does the book version differ from the comics? Because there he just throws some sith spell that unfortunantly looks him in Naga Sadows temple for the next 4000 years.

As far as I know, that's all there is to Exar's story. There are some books set in the NJO era in which his ghost does nasty stuff, but there is no novelization of his "adventures".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's probably for the best.

Another thing just out of the blue? Is there anyone else but me who hates Cathar? I cant stand the feline motherf*ckers. There's just something about them that cries out for immediate galactical genocide

I thought Juhani was mediocre in the first game, but playable. Now as for the TOTJ cathars (Sylvar, Crado) they have to be about the lamest Jedi ever.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Juhani was probably the most annoying character in the game. But its true, it doesnt get worse than TotJ

Im gonna make my own SW comic in which I will introduce an exiting new race The Squirrelthar- a primitive but kind race of treeliving beings who live in holes in giant trees. They have enormous front teeth and furry tails. Some rise to become great Jedi but they are haunted by their inherent desire to collect and store various edible items in holes in trees. Because of this, they are easily swayed to the darkside.

Juhani was probably the most annoying character in the game. But its true, it doesnt get worse than TotJ

Im gonna make my own SW comic in which I will introduce an exiting new race The Squirrelthar- a primitive but kind race of treeliving beings who live in holes in giant trees. They have enormous front teeth and furry tails. Some rise to become great Jedi but they are haunted by their inherent desire to collect and store various edible items in holes in trees. Because of this, they are easily swayed to the darkside.

Wonderful they will make great company for the molelobsters.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Throw in telepathy and you get a Hoojib. (Kudos to anyone remembering these cute buggers :wub: )

:blink:

Which reminds me of a convo in the "Knights of the Old Republic" comic, which went something like this:

Exar: "Cathar Jedi are no match for human Jedi!"

Cathar: "You're wrong! Many gret Jedi Masters come from my world!"

Exar: "You still suck!"

Cathar: [swipes Exar's face] "We don't suck!"

Another thing just out of the blue? Is there anyone else but me who hates Cathar? I cant stand the feline motherf*ckers. There's just something about them that cries out for immediate galactical genocide

I HATE Cathars. They're nothing more than annoying rejects who never made it into "Thundercats". Slyvar, Crado and Juhani were the WORST Jedi ever. I absolutely loathe those furry fenile motherf*ckers. I actually kept that bitch Juhani alive so I could insult her at every opportunity before putting her down like a dog (ahem..cat). <_<

Miralukas on the other hand are babes : Shoaneb Culu and Visas Marr... >_<

manthing2.jpg