Tales of the Jedi

I finished reading all the TOTJ comic series except for "Redemption", mainly to see why people were commenting on its great depth and why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 should follow it really closely (technology wise as well as cannon wise). I liked its general story and plot ideas but I can understand why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 used different technology ideas. The way the spaceships are portrayed in TOTJ was really ridiculous for me. They have masts, rigs, sails, and even pretty much look like the Romans' triremes but there's one thing: it's space. The way they portray those ships, they wouldn't move an inch in space much less go into hyperspace.

Another thing were the clothes the chracters wore. They wore robes much like what the Greeks used to wear centuries ago much less than the normal clothes we see in K1 and K2. I thought it was a strange comparison, having ships that can have hyperdrives but wearing clothes of an ancient design.

I thought the lightsabers looked pretty good, especially in the Sith War. There were some inconsistencies in the Golden Age of the Sith comics when some Jedi used regular lightsabers and others used protosabers. Another inconsistency was when the ancestors of the Sith (the Dark Jedi) used lightsabers to battle the light Jedi but during the time of Ragnos' death they use regular swords.

The True Sith were way too much like the Egyptians. I mean the way they dressed and acted was exactly how the Egyptians dressed and acted. One time, Ludo Kreesh even says: "Marka Ragnos, enjoy these riches in the afterlife" after sealing his tomb (the interior of which looked similar to a pyramid) before loading it with gold and slaves.

Odan-Urr is such a powerful Jedi by the end of the Hyperspace War yet a thousand years later is destroyed by a single thought from Exar Kun. That's like Yoda being destroyed by thought by Anakin Skywalker (or Palpatine for that matter). That part struck me as weird.

All in all I thought it was a good comic series, but I thought Kevin Anderson went overboard in thinking up of ancient galaxies and resorted to our own world's history. I thought it was good that K1 and K2 didn't follow the books exactly. What do you guys think?

All in all I thought it was a good comic series, but I thought Kevin Anderson went overboard in thinking up of ancient galaxies and resorted to our own world's history.

the bolded part is the biggest issue i have with anderson. he tends to go way overboard when writing about something, almost as a way to try and use a smoke screen to hide his shortcomings as a writer. he needs the unbelievable and the outlandish, otherwise hes nothing but an average or slightly better than average writer. guys like zahn dont need that kind of thing to tell a good story.

I finished reading all the TOTJ comic series except for "Redemption", mainly to see why people were commenting on its great depth and why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 should follow it really closely (technology wise as well as cannon wise). I liked its general story and plot ideas but I can understand why KOTOR and KOTOR 2 used different technology ideas. The way the spaceships are portrayed in TOTJ was really ridiculous for me. They have masts, rigs, sails, and even pretty much look like the Romans' triremes but there's one thing: it's space. The way they portray those ships, they wouldn't move an inch in space much less go into hyperspace.

Another thing were the clothes the chracters wore. They wore robes much like what the Greeks used to wear centuries ago much less than the normal clothes we see in K1 and K2. I thought it was a strange comparison, having ships that can have hyperdrives but wearing clothes of an ancient design.

I thought the lightsabers looked pretty good, especially in the Sith War. There were some inconsistencies in the Dark Lords of the Sith comics when some Jedi used regular lightsabers and others used protosabers. Another inconsistency was when the ancestors of the Sith (the Dark Jedi) used lightsabers to battle the light Jedi but during the time of Ragnos' death they use regular swords.

The True Sith were way too much like the Egyptians. I mean the way they dressed and acted was exactly how the Egyptians dressed and acted. One time, Ludo Kreesh even says: "Marka Ragnos, enjoy these riches in the afterlife" after sealing his tomb (the interior of which looked similar to a pyramid) before loading it with gold and slaves.

Odan-Urr is such a powerful Jedi by the end of the Hyperspace War yet a thousand years later is destroyed by a single thought from Exar Kun. That's like Yoda being destroyed by thought by Anakin Skywalker (or Palpatine for that matter). That part struck me as weird.

All in all I thought it was a good comic series, but I thought Kevin Anderson went overboard in thinking up of ancient galaxies and resorted to our own world's history. I thought it was good that K1 and K2 didn't follow the books exactly. What do you guys think?

I agree.

I thought the lightsabers looked pretty good, especially in the Sith War. There were some inconsistencies in the Dark Lords of the Sith comics when some Jedi used regular lightsabers and others used protosabers. Another inconsistency was when the ancestors of the Sith (the Dark Jedi) used lightsabers to battle the light Jedi but during the time of Ragnos' death they use regular swords.

I'm with you. The ships look like fish.

I finished reading all the TOTJ comic series except for "Redemption"

Well, you just missed the single best one. Get it NOW. :D

Agreed.

I really want to read Redemption, but I don't buy these comics. I check them out from my local library, which happens to have all of them except for Redemption. There are no comic book stores near where I live, so I don't think I'll be reading it soon ;)

All in all I thought it was a good comic series, but I thought Kevin Anderson went overboard in thinking up of ancient galaxies and resorted to our own world's history.

the bolded part is the biggest issue i have with anderson. he tends to go way overboard when writing about something, almost as a way to try and use a smoke screen to hide his shortcomings as a writer. he needs the unbelievable and the outlandish, otherwise hes nothing but an average or slightly better than average writer. guys like zahn dont need that kind of thing to tell a good story.

I completely agree with you. That completely applies to Exar Kun.

I read the trade paperbacks for 'the sith war' and 'dark lords of the sith'. they were good, but I really found character developement to be sorely lacking. Do the earlier series provide a better job of getting to know the characters or is it another 'big battle advances plot followed by finding sith magics'?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

• 3 weeks later...
Careful where you say this friend. Nur Ab Sal will hunt you down now that you have openly disclosed your hatred for TOTJ. :p

[hides in closet]

But seriously, he's not signed on for a long time. By the time he returns, I'll be in a remote island in the Pacific enjoying my thread. :p

February 4th... Only 2 days.

• 3 weeks later...

Very true, KJA goes always overboard, or almost always anyways. He's still better Tom Veitch IMO, and going overboard is not as big sin in comics.

The TotJ does get too far with it's gothic-ancient technology while KOTOR feels too modern to my tastes to be 4000 BBY. I'd like a happy medium better, though I can understand that it needs to be recognisably Star Wars to be marketable as such. I pay too much attention to it anyways. Star Wars is more fantasy than science fiction and doesn't need to be logical in such matters. I should just pretend that all sort of galactic disasters and wars kept the tech level from rising much over the millenia.

...Another inconsistency was when the ancestors of the Sith (the Dark Jedi) used lightsabers to battle the light Jedi but during the time of Ragnos' death they use regular swords.
Really? They both seemed to be using swords to me. Perhaps I missed something. And the Hyperspace War era Sith seemed to use some sort of Dark Side empowered crystal blades (writer wanted to give them something that wouldn't just break when used against lightsabers, I would guess)

SODOFF Steam group.

I have now read "Golden age of the Sith" and I declare it to be rubbish. Apart from the uninspired story, it also completely fails to make the Sith anything but a bunch of silly sods with a hideous fashion sense.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just got hold of a bunch of them Republic comics set during the clone wars and they're by far the best SW comics Ive read. Excellent artwork, good stories and actual Star Wars feeling. Too bad they have to be so obsessed by that darn Quinlan "kewl numetal jedi with dreads" Voss.

And if Nurbs ever comes back Ill tell the truth to his face- TotJ stinks. badly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I made another deepdive into the sh*t with Jedi vs. Sith man, there's just no end to the badness. Starwars goes on a manga crapfeast complete with severly annoying child protagonists, carricatured characters and a f***ing flying gold pirate ship

I made another deepdive into the sh*t with Jedi vs. Sith man, there's just no end to the badness. Starwars goes on a manga crapfeast complete with severly annoying child protagonists, carricatured characters and a f***ing flying gold pirate ship

Heh. I had forgotten about the gold pirate ship. And her captain is pretty lame too.

I recommend you get Jedi: Dooku. And for some great mercenary stories, try Jango Fett: Open seasons. It's a departure from your usual Jedi-centered storytelling. Good stuff. :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

..I forgot about the ultimate sin, lightsaberwhips :D

Ive got Jedi- Count Dooku and its very good, except that its more about that Quinlan "could very well be the singer of P.O.D" Vos than Count Dooku. The republic series are the best SW comics Ive come across so far. I remember all those old comics that made you feel like you violated the fine memory of the films when you read them. And of course, loads of hot incestous Luke+Leiah love.

But there is one undeniable ultimate truth and staple of all SW comics, Stormtrooper helmets are ALWAYS and UNIVERSALLY misdrawn in the most hideous and awkward ways.