PS2 or Gamecube?

ramza

I didn't buy any of the new generation consoles as I waited for prices to drop. Now, I am considering buying one but I am not too sure about it. First of all, I can decide which console to pick: the PS2 or the Gamecube. Both have great games but that can only be found for the respective console. For example, the PS2 has some great jap RPGs (including the FF series) and some other games that you can't play on the gamecube. The latter shares some common games with PS2 (MGS, RE, etc) but has some titles that are unique such as RE0 (and I am considering buying the Mario, Sonic and Zelda Collector's editions -with all the old games from the series).

I have heard that there is a chip allowing you to play GC games on your PS2, but that may be another one of those rumors.

Anyway, I would appreciate it a lot if you could give me your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

There is no chip that allows you to play Gamecube games on a Playstation 2.

Both consoles are so cheap by now, you could get both. The problem would then be that the new games cost almost as much as a new console..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I say neither.  The next gen of consoles are going to be released this year and buy a new console of the current gen would be a wasteof money since as soon as the next gen is out support of the current gen will drop like a hammer.

This generation of consoles is priced very low and has a huge library of titles. The next generation will be expensive and have virtually no titles on launch. I'd say it's still very worthwhile to buy a PS2, Xbox, or GameCube.

• Like 1

Well, I am not sure if I will even buy any of these consoles. It's just that I really want to play some of the games that you can't find on pc: RE Code Veronica, RE0, RE4, FFXII and some others.

The advantage with the PS2 is that you can chip it in order to play copies. I don't know if there is such a thing for the gamecube.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

This generation of consoles is priced very low and has a huge library of titles.  The next generation will be expensive and have virtually no titles on launch.  I'd say it's still very worthwhile to buy a PS2, Xbox, or GameCube.

Hasn't MS said that the next XBox will be fully compatible with previous XBox titles? So when the new one launches, you'll still have access to the old library of titles?

newlogo.gif

Hasn't MS said that the next XBox will be fully compatible with previous XBox titles? So when the new one launches, you'll still have access to the old library of titles?

The Xbox 2 CPU will use a multi-core processor based on IBM

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Depends... if you a multi-genre gamer, go for PS2 -- most titles of any console. If you are a sports fan, go for the XBOX, their titles are usually enhanced over the PS2 and the network capabilities are better. I have a Game Cube but find the title selection very, very limited.

Next generation machines probably won't be available until Christmas (that's about a one year wait) and the title selection at initial launch will be small. Gaming now is better than gaming later I say. :-

Consoles are robbing us PC users of good games and ruining games that are multi-platform. They must be stopped or put back to only making stupid actions/sports games that nobodys interested in ayway.

Had a Nintendo 8bit system when I was a kid, thats as far as Ill ever go with consoles.

*bitter*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

PS2 has more titles, and more variety, which IMO is the critical factor when deciding what system to buy.

However I'm not such a big fan of consoles and I would recommend you spend the money in upgrading your PC or getting PC games...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

This generation of consoles is priced very low and has a huge library of titles.  The next generation will be expensive and have virtually no titles on launch.  I'd say it's still very worthwhile to buy a PS2, Xbox, or GameCube.

You got a point there J.E. but he would need to get those titles that he wants quickly. I doubt that the publishers will reprint the older games once they are out of stock.

You got a point there J.E. but he would need to get those titles that he wants quickly.  I doubt that the publishers will reprint the older games once they are out of stock.

Sure they will. Keep in mind that Sony stopped making the original Playstation last year. Between retailers keeping big names in stock and the ease of using something like Ebay for other titles, there's no reason why you couldn't have a huge game library for a small amount of money.

• Like 1

I've heard both that it will be backwards-compatible and that it will not be. In either case, he's talking about buying a console now. For the price of the next generation of systems, he could buy any two consoles now -- or any console and a large number of games. And he wouldn't have to wait six to twelve months.

Get both.

The back catalogue of really cheap games makes it more than worthwhile.

As for the next gens, well unless you have to have one, or something comes out that you just cant pass up. It's usually best to wait for at least a year before buying a new console.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

...I now have both a Gamecube (a gift) that's been sittin' 'round collection dust since Xmas and a PS2...go fer the PS2, ye won't regret it... :o

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way