Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kotor 2 seriously trashed and bashed

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts

Until KotoR 2 comes to PC, i'm keeping my mouth shut about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing I care to comment on KotOR 2 right now is its game mechanics, whichis widely known and the way it is currently set up sucks. It keeps the n00bie uber-munchkin player in mind and ignores the veteren gamers.

Percival

Percival

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts

Until KotoR 2 comes to PC, i'm keeping my mouth shut about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing I care to comment on KotOR 2 right now is its game mechanics, whichis widely known and the way it is currently set up sucks. It keeps the n00bie uber-munchkin player in mind and ignores the veteren gamers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you played the game yet to say that?

And if this is true, let's be honest, KOTOR 1 wasnt exactly different. You had a great amount of l33t loot and overpowered force powers. You leveled up fairly quickly and the game wasnt challenging enough.

So it comes down to the plot, NPCs and the overall feel of the game, to find out if the game outdid its predecessor. I guess I'll find out when it's released for the PC.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

From what I've noticed is, that people tend to view older games with such reverence it blinds them to its mistakes. In this case, KotoR 1. The game was fun and it brought a new breath life into the RPG genre, since there was almost nothing worth playing up until then. It was however not perfect, and it had more then it's share of bad things. However, people thought KotoR 2 would be so much more I suppose, and even with new additions it brought people seemed to expect a lot more. After all, how can a game compete with an idea of a game people played before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you've said is true, but Bioware polished the PC KotOR up quite a bit, even adding in an entire map, new items, etc. Sure, they later released the same content for Xbox gamers, but not for a good couple'a months. If I get ripped EVEN MORE for buying the PC version, I'm gonna be right pissed.

Dhruin

Dhruin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Can't see why variations in KotOR2 scores would be a surprise. For starters, I think KotOR1 scored too highly on average and a near-identical sequel (especially one that was rushed) was always going to bring some reviewers back to earth. Throw in the fact that MCA didn't use a huge plot twist and KotOR2's biggest point of difference -- the writing -- didn't wow some reviewers the same way that ridiculous plot twist in KotOR1 did.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Resident Evil 4 get universally good reviews?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you just had to get that in didnt you. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, yes I did. :cool:

Stark

Stark

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

"like them or hate them, their reviews are generally accurate, devoid of hype other reviewers are susceptable to."

False. Only someone brainwashed by the 'Codex would say that. Their reviews are just as biased and full of hype as the next review.

you're just jealous i didn't mention your review. i don't find alot of hype in their reviews, and mega titles do not get crazy phraises from them. consider it a balancing force in the universe of game reviews.

look at kotor reviews, all consistently 90% -100% from all major sites. Kotor2, which is supposedly similar to kotor, garnered mix reviews (some rate as low as 65%) suddenly. where's the logic of that?

The biggest difference between their review and others is that they don't give percentage scores, and usually are decently written.

Always entertaining to read; though. >_<

true. all true. :luck:

ps: for balanced reviews, rpgdot is another good source.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I had a different take. I thought the writing was abysmal... and not only technically. It was just terrible to read. Still, the ideas behind the writing were on the spot. I think I would have loved it if MCA would have cleaned it up a tad. Of course, we don't know who actually did the writing.

Still, the ideas were great. I saw a lot of potential to the design. That's why, flaws and all, I find a lot to enjoy in KoTOR2. I'll reserve my judgement, however, until I've finished the game. With all of the things in my life right now, that might be a while.

All in all, I've finished everything I could find on four worlds and I don't think I've got much left to do on the fifth. Afterwards, the end-game probably won't be long in coming. Then I can write my own review. After all, it seems writing a review for KoTOR 2 is a mania.

sawyl

sawyl

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 54 posts

What you've said is true, but Bioware polished the PC KotOR up quite a bit, even adding in an entire map, new items, etc.

are you talking about the Yavin Station? That shouldn't really count as an extra map. (Bioware just added it in as a place to buy lightsabre crystals, I think. >_< )

I had a different take. I thought the writing was abysmal... and not only technically. It was just terrible to read. Still, the ideas behind the writing were on the spot. I think I would have loved it if MCA would have cleaned it up a tad. Of course, we don't know who actually did the writing.

I wouldn't call the writing "abysmal," but it could have used quite a bit more editing. The spelling/grammer mistakes were what really put me over the edge, though. Bastilla?

The majority of the game's writing does feel rushed and half-finished, though; ideas that would have been well-executed had Obsidian gotten more time. It felt like Planescape Lite.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

What you've said is true, but Bioware polished the PC KotOR up quite a bit, even adding in an entire map, new items, etc.

are you talking about the Yavin Station? That shouldn't really count as an extra map. (Bioware just added it in as a place to buy lightsabre crystals, I think. :devil: )

I wouldn't call the writing "abysmal," but it could have used quite a bit more editing. The spelling/grammer mistakes were what really put me over the edge, though. Bastilla?

The majority of the game's writing does feel rushed and half-finished, though; ideas that would have been well-executed had Obsidian gotten more time. It felt like Planescape Lite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I was talking about Yavin Station, and I DO realize this. They still added it, along with items that weren't in the Xbox version, and the entire package overall was significantly more polished. If my PC version isn't more polished after having to wait two extra months, I'm gonna be pissed.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Resident Evil 4 get universally good reviews?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...I can't really remember a negative RE4 review. :)

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts
Resident Evil 4

Game of the Year

You heard it here first :cool:

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

Resident Evil 4

Game of the Year

You heard it here first  :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, yeah. o:)

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts

Resident Evil 4

Game of the Year

You heard it here first  :cool:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll put my money on the new Zelda but RE 4 is a worthy contender.

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
Resident #yawn# Evil 4 huh? I'm sure it will atleast be the most o.k. game of sometime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users