Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kotor 2 seriously trashed and bashed

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

ramza

ramza

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1418 posts
Despite the positive comments you may read on Obsidian website's front page, it seems that there are many negative comments about the game lately. I have been visiting rpgcodex.com for the last few weeks and I have noticed at least ten bad reviews about Kotor2. I just want to note that the reviews were made by other gaming site and not by rpgcodex.

Since I haven't played the game can someone explain me why all this criticism on Obsidian's first game?

Phosphor

Phosphor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

Guest_Surlent_*

Guest_Surlent_*
  • Guests
Some of the reviews Ramza likely read in Codex, stated the end game is rushed and contains more hack 'n slash than roleplaying.
Basically they say same thing as with Bloodlines.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I'm almost done with the game. Overall, I really like it. There are folks who suggest that the ideas are better in KoTOR2 but that the overall package is rushed. I agree.

Still, this is a fun game. I've enjoyed it.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Despite the positive comments you may read on Obsidian website's front page, it seems that there are many negative comments about the game lately. I have been visiting rpgcodex.com for the last few weeks and I have noticed at least ten bad reviews about Kotor2. I just want to note that the reviews were made by other gaming site and not by rpgcodex.

Since I haven't played the game can someone explain me why all this criticism on Obsidian's first game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then again, the codex has a venomous editorial bias against rpgs not headed by Tim Cain. Especially those that are connected with Bioware. Well, atleast that's how I see them frame their news flashes.

I'm probably wrong.

Drakron

Drakron

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2119 posts
Well I belive the early reviews were biased, there is a price of being able to review a game around release day.

A lot of the early reviews are made of playing a review copy and the reviews simply think the issues they meet during play will not be in the finished version so they dont mention then.

The reviews you are seeing now are from playing the released game and playing it to the end, they end up being more balanced over issues but they end up being a bit too late for the people that rushed and got the game.

And yes, RPG Codex is biased but then again everyone opinion is biased.

zer"0"

zer"0"

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts
The 'Codex has its ways, nevertheless those reviews were done by independant sites.
'Codex put up links to both good and bad reviews of Bloodlines, Kotor2 and many other rpgs they like to keep tabs on.

I can't speak for the 'Codex, but imho alot of said venom is done tongue in cheek

zer"0"

zer"0"

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 276 posts

the ideas are better in KoTOR2 but that the overall package is rushed.

Quoted for truth.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you read the kotor forums here youd have your answer.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts
gamerankings.com has it with an 86% average review score. Some are extraordinarily high and others are quite low. It's not that surprising to me.

Claws

Claws

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts
Wishful thinking: Obsidian will look into the serious complaints and fix the most glaring bugs/errors for the PC version since they had extra time...

*sigh*
Not gonna happen unfortunately.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

Wishful thinking: Obsidian will look into the serious complaints and fix the most glaring bugs/errors for the PC version since they had extra time...

*sigh*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even being a cynic myself, I sure do hope you're wrong on this one...else Obsidian will have become Bio's lackey in not only titles but also quality, and that's a bad thing indeed. Course no one but me and some of the people on this board are gonna care anyway. :thumbsup:

Percival

Percival

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
From what I've noticed is, that people tend to view older games with such reverence it blinds them to its mistakes. In this case, KotoR 1. The game was fun and it brought a new breath life into the RPG genre, since there was almost nothing worth playing up until then. It was however not perfect, and it had more then it's share of bad things. However, people thought KotoR 2 would be so much more I suppose, and even with new additions it brought people seemed to expect a lot more. After all, how can a game compete with an idea of a game people played before.

The reviews themselves can be tricky. Bloodlines received mediocre scores, but personally, I found it to be one of the best RPGs around. HL2 received incredible scores, and yet I considered it to be one huge boring monorail shooter, so game reviews arent exactly fact, and are very subjective.

Try the game yourself and see how you like it.

Darque

Darque

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 12328 posts

I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Resident Evil 4 get universally good reviews?

RiK

RiK

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
I agree with Percival. Reviews can be tricky... HL2 can be a perfect example.
While technicaly stunning, it just doesn't make me grip to it like the first HL did.

Until KotoR 2 comes to PC, i'm keeping my mouth shut about it.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

*sigh*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, why not? I think that no one will willingly make a bad game. Because they have time Im sure they will use it as best they can.

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Resident Evil 4 get universally good reviews?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you just had to get that in didnt you. :-

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts
This only shows that obsidian cannot achieve success and get fans simply by being biowares b!tch. They need to create their own settings or at least their own rpgs that arent sequels to biowares work.

Stark

Stark

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
yet we're reading totally opposing thoughts in these reviews. some said the writing in kotor 2 is excellent, while others said it's just plain awful.

but one thing is consistent: reviewers complained that the ending felt rushed and incomplete, ending with gamers going "huh"?

personally i would wait for rpgcodex's review. like them or hate them, their reviews are generally accurate, devoid of hype other reviewers are susceptable to.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"like them or hate them, their reviews are generally accurate, devoid of hype other reviewers are susceptable to."

False. Only someone brainwashed by the 'Codex would say that. Their reviews are just as biased and full of hype as the next review. The biggest difference between their review and others is that they don't give percentage scores, and usually are decently written.

Always entertaining to read; though. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users