Kotor 2 seriously trashed and bashed

ramza

Despite the positive comments you may read on Obsidian website's front page, it seems that there are many negative comments about the game lately. I have been visiting rpgcodex.com for the last few weeks and I have noticed at least ten bad reviews about Kotor2. I just want to note that the reviews were made by other gaming site and not by rpgcodex.

Since I haven't played the game can someone explain me why all this criticism on Obsidian's first game?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

newlogo.gif

Guest Surlent

Some of the reviews Ramza likely read in Codex, stated the end game is rushed and contains more hack 'n slash than roleplaying.

Basically they say same thing as with Bloodlines.

I'm almost done with the game. Overall, I really like it. There are folks who suggest that the ideas are better in KoTOR2 but that the overall package is rushed. I agree.

Still, this is a fun game. I've enjoyed it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Despite the positive comments you may read on Obsidian website's front page, it seems that there are many negative comments about the game lately. I have been visiting rpgcodex.com for the last few weeks and I have noticed at least ten bad reviews about Kotor2. I just want to note that the reviews were made by other gaming site and not by rpgcodex.

Since I haven't played the game can someone explain me why all this criticism on Obsidian's first game?

Then again, the codex has a venomous editorial bias against rpgs not headed by Tim Cain. Especially those that are connected with Bioware. Well, atleast that's how I see them frame their news flashes.

I'm probably wrong.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well I belive the early reviews were biased, there is a price of being able to review a game around release day.

A lot of the early reviews are made of playing a review copy and the reviews simply think the issues they meet during play will not be in the finished version so they dont mention then.

The reviews you are seeing now are from playing the released game and playing it to the end, they end up being more balanced over issues but they end up being a bit too late for the people that rushed and got the game.

And yes, RPG Codex is biased but then again everyone opinion is biased.

drakron.png

The 'Codex has its ways, nevertheless those reviews were done by independant sites.

'Codex put up links to both good and bad reviews of Bloodlines, Kotor2 and many other rpgs they like to keep tabs on.

I can't speak for the 'Codex, but imho alot of said venom is done tongue in cheek

Wishful thinking: Obsidian will look into the serious complaints and fix the most glaring bugs/errors for the PC version since they had extra time...

*sigh*

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

Even being a cynic myself, I sure do hope you're wrong on this one...else Obsidian will have become Bio's lackey in not only titles but also quality, and that's a bad thing indeed. Course no one but me and some of the people on this board are gonna care anyway. :thumbsup:

From what I've noticed is, that people tend to view older games with such reverence it blinds them to its mistakes. In this case, KotoR 1. The game was fun and it brought a new breath life into the RPG genre, since there was almost nothing worth playing up until then. It was however not perfect, and it had more then it's share of bad things. However, people thought KotoR 2 would be so much more I suppose, and even with new additions it brought people seemed to expect a lot more. After all, how can a game compete with an idea of a game people played before.

The reviews themselves can be tricky. Bloodlines received mediocre scores, but personally, I found it to be one of the best RPGs around. HL2 received incredible scores, and yet I considered it to be one huge boring monorail shooter, so game reviews arent exactly fact, and are very subjective.

Try the game yourself and see how you like it.

I've never seen a game get universally good reviews. Every game I've bought has both good and bad reviews; the trick is, if you care about reviews, is to find ones that you consider trustworthy and who's explanations of criticism (and praise) you feel are accurate to your tastes.

Didn't Resident Evil 4 get universally good reviews?

I agree with Percival. Reviews can be tricky... HL2 can be a perfect example.

While technicaly stunning, it just doesn't make me grip to it like the first HL did.

Until KotoR 2 comes to PC, i'm keeping my mouth shut about it.

Wishful thinking: Obsidian will look into the serious complaints and fix the most glaring bugs/errors for the PC version since they had extra time...

*sigh*

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

Eh, why not? I think that no one will willingly make a bad game. Because they have time I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

you just had to get that in didnt you. :-

yet we're reading totally opposing thoughts in these reviews. some said the writing in kotor 2 is excellent, while others said it's just plain awful.

but one thing is consistent: reviewers complained that the ending felt rushed and incomplete, ending with gamers going "huh"?

personally i would wait for rpgcodex's review. like them or hate them, their reviews are generally accurate, devoid of hype other reviewers are susceptable to.

"like them or hate them, their reviews are generally accurate, devoid of hype other reviewers are susceptable to."

False. Only someone brainwashed by the 'Codex would say that. Their reviews are just as biased and full of hype as the next review. The biggest difference between their review and others is that they don't give percentage scores, and usually are decently written.

Always entertaining to read; though. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Until KotoR 2 comes to PC, i'm keeping my mouth shut about it.

The only thing I care to comment on KotOR 2 right now is its game mechanics, whichis widely known and the way it is currently set up sucks. It keeps the n00bie uber-munchkin player in mind and ignores the veteren gamers.

Have you played the game yet to say that?

And if this is true, let's be honest, KOTOR 1 wasnt exactly different. You had a great amount of l33t loot and overpowered force powers. You leveled up fairly quickly and the game wasnt challenging enough.

So it comes down to the plot, NPCs and the overall feel of the game, to find out if the game outdid its predecessor. I guess I'll find out when it's released for the PC.

From what I've noticed is, that people tend to view older games with such reverence it blinds them to its mistakes. In this case, KotoR 1. The game was fun and it brought a new breath life into the RPG genre, since there was almost nothing worth playing up until then. It was however not perfect, and it had more then it's share of bad things. However, people thought KotoR 2 would be so much more I suppose, and even with new additions it brought people seemed to expect a lot more. After all, how can a game compete with an idea of a game people played before.

What you've said is true, but Bioware polished the PC KotOR up quite a bit, even adding in an entire map, new items, etc. Sure, they later released the same content for Xbox gamers, but not for a good couple'a months. If I get ripped EVEN MORE for buying the PC version, I'm gonna be right pissed.

Can't see why variations in KotOR2 scores would be a surprise. For starters, I think KotOR1 scored too highly on average and a near-identical sequel (especially one that was rushed) was always going to bring some reviewers back to earth. Throw in the fact that MCA didn't use a huge plot twist and KotOR2's biggest point of difference -- the writing -- didn't wow some reviewers the same way that ridiculous plot twist in KotOR1 did.

you just had to get that in didnt you. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes I did. :cool: