Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where do you believe the true majority lies?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: What gamer group is the majority? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

What gamer group is the majority?

1. True Gamer (doesnt matter what type of game) (24 votes [43.64%])

Percentage of vote: 43.64%

2. Complex RPG Gamer (BG, Gothic, PST, FO, NWN) (9 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Hack and Slash RPG Gamer (Diablo, Dungeon Seige) (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

4. MMORPG (DAOC, WOW, Evercrack) (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

5. Action Adventure (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia) (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

6. Strategy (Star Craft, Sacrifice, Ground Control) (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

7. Sim (Sim City, The Sims) (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

8. 1st Person Shooter (Doom, Giants Citizen Kabuto) (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

9. Sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball Games) (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

10. Other (describe this other category in your post) (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I voted other as I think the "majority" belong to the group "action gamers" meaning they like fastpaced games. such as sports games, FPS, RTS-games and so on...

The importat thing isn't so much exactly what type as, how much effort it is to get started and how eventfull the gameplay is.
In other words I think the majority are the casual gamers, and they want games that don't take a long time to get started with and can be played for just a few minutes at a time and still be fun.

I base this asumption on the general feeling I get from looking at top 10 lists...

EDIT: wtf why didnt my formating work when useing quick reply???

Kalesar

Kalesar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
Been doing some looking and found something about sales for pc games at gamespy.

# Top Selling PC Games (by $)
for 11/28/04 - 12/04/04 Sales Ratio
1 World of Warcraft
2 Half-Life 2
3 The Sims 2
4 Zoo Tycoon
5 Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
6 The Sims 2: Special Edition
7 Sid Meier's Pirates!
8 Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault: Director's Edition
9 Rome: Total War
10 Doom 3

Also found some less current info about percentages of sales from 2003
clicky

Console game players most often purchased action (27.1%), sports (17.6 %), and racing titles (15.7%), role-playing games (8.7%), fighting games (6.9%), family entertainment (4.7%), and shooter games (4.6%).

Computer gamers, however, most often purchased strategy games (27.1%), children's entertainment games (14.5%) and shooter games (13.5%), followed by family entertainment titles (9.5%), role-playing games (8.7%), sports titles (5.8%), racing (4.4%), adventure (3.9%), and simulation games (3.5%).

Overall tho the Console sales (186.4 million units) are much greater than computer ones (52.8 million units). So action games on console holds the vast majority for 2003 it seems. In fact by those numbers the action games on console were roughly 50.5 million units alone. Combined Roleplaying was about 20.8 billion.

What do you suppose causes these numbers? I would say PCs are built to handle strategy games better than console, and console not generaly built better for action but there are probly just more action games made for console. Also wonder what games were classified as what category and whether or not they had games like Diablo in the action category or RPG.

howling1

howling1

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 417 posts
You'd get a better picture by looking at annual sales figures. Then looking at R&D projections for the coming year. For example, there is a trend underway among console game companies to develop PC game titles in order to diversify their product lines. You don't do something like that unless you have projections indicating a downturn in your primary product market in the next 12-18 months...

ShadowPaladin V1.0

ShadowPaladin V1.0

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8772 posts
Lets see.

I don't play sports games
I don't play platform games
I don't play driving games

Zach Morris

Zach Morris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 486 posts
I would really say I'm a true gamer. Just in the last month I have played, Madden 2005, Final Fantasy 7, CounterStrike Source, Doom 3, Command and Conquer Generals, Warcraft 3, KOTOR, Ogre Tactics, Mario 64, and a game of monopoly. Texas Holdem tomorrow night.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The population for this poll is biased. You can't make a poll about game fan types on a roleplaying forum. Well, you can, but the answers you'll get aren't worth much.

Gryphcon

Gryphcon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
According the NPD in 2004...

"Computer gamers skewed differently, buying strategy games (26.9 percent), family and children's entertainment games (20.3 percent) and shooter games (16.3 percent), followed by role-playing games (10 percent), adventure games (5.9 percent), sports games (5.4 percent), and action games (3.9 percent). "

I assume this thread is talking about PC Gamers anyway, considering there were three choices for RPG's and neither of them were ''console RPG's''..

I'm not sure what the difference is between action and shooter games...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users