Where do you believe the true majority lies?

Kalesar

What gamer group is the majority?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What gamer group is the majority?

• True Gamer (doesnt matter what type of game)
    • Complex RPG Gamer (BG, Gothic, PST, FO, NWN)
    • Hack and Slash RPG Gamer (Diablo, Dungeon Seige)
    • MMORPG (DAOC, WOW, Evercrack)
    • Action Adventure (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia)
    • Strategy (Star Craft, Sacrifice, Ground Control)
    • Sim (Sim City, The Sims)
    • 1st Person Shooter (Doom, Giants Citizen Kabuto)
    • Sports (Baseball, Football, Basketball Games)
    • Other (describe this other category in your post)

Often times I will see a post with someone saying "its because so and so fans are the majority that so and so game is made to cater to them" or "this game doesnt do this because so and so majority would not buy the game with it"

Where do they get this information on who is the majority? Acctual statistical facts on the subject, and how were those stats gathered anyways.

The choices in the poll above I can maby see as difficult to decide. Think of it this way for an example: What are top 5 most favorite games.

If they are BG, BG2, PST, FO, IWD then you obviously are the Complex RPG gamer.

If they are BG2, Black and White, Doom 3, Madden <insert year here>, and Homeworld then you are probably a True Gamer.

Its pretty hard still for some of us I would think so lets just say that if 3 of the top 5 are of one category then you belong to that category, If no no more than 2 of any category then True Gamer.

I myself cant even decide which 5 games are truly my favorites. And seeing as how I find many types of games to be great I consider myself a True Gamer. I love variety and like single theme games like Starcraft as well as games like BG which I consider to be acctual strategy/complex rpg. I greatly look forward to some all encompasing game that has single character Complex RPG mixed with some form of mass war Strategy and a little bit of Action Adventure and seamlessly shifts from the different elements during the game... One can dream can't they.

This thread, of course, can also be used for just discussion about your thoughts on Gamer groups and their influance on the gaming market, how they affect games that come out and such.

Well, true gamer, but only to a certain extent. I play whatever floats my boat, be it RPGs, FPS's, strategy, whatever. Just no MMORPG's, LAN games ie. Counter-Strike, and ridiculously violent games (read anything GTA, for example), unless their made with a certain sense of humor. Kinda like Peter Jackson movies, they're hilarious.

My favorite games list includes side scrollers on the Nintendo, EA sports titles on the Sega Genesis, and PC rpgs. I guess that makes me a true gamer. But the only games I follow the development on are rpgs. I'm only speaking for myself and not on gamers in general. Though I suspect most will play muliple genres.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There is no true majority, the market tendences are always changing.

Years ago we had a lot of adventure games, then it moved into RTS type and after it, RPGs.

Right now we are in the "hybrid" age, we see FPS with RPG mechanics and DDR sequences in games such as GTA:SA and Sid Meyer Pirates!.

drakron.png

Feels like everyone's going to belong in the "True Gamer" category when this poll is done.. I mean, who doesn't cross genres every once in a while, no matter how devoted you are to your favourite genre?

(I love Gothic, Wasteland, Far Cry, GTA: San Andreas, Deus Ex, The Longest Journey etc.)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

the majority is FPS and it has been since doom was released, maybe even after castle wolfenstein. the best selling game of all time is probably quake... the sims, however, may have that lead now...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

the majority is FPS and it has been since doom was released, maybe even after castle wolfenstein.  the best selling game of all time is probably quake... the sims, however, may have that lead now...

taks

Just wondering but where and how have you gathered this information? Perhaps a link to a website that shows acctual results of detailed research in the subject would help.

No offence, but I just dont believe there is any one gamer group that is vastly larger than others and that they have in anyway affected the creation of games.

This is what I think .. without proof ..

I think the majority (of EVERY gamer in the world), and not "true gamers" .. that's to different things .. but as I was saying, I believe the majority plays sports and action games .. because they are the ones that seems to get the most advertising! so the average person, who plays computers once in a while, will probably play Fifa/Madden etc and the occasional FPS that get's famous .. like Doom3 or HL2 ..

but "True Gamers" are those who like games, those who play often, I believe they play most of the genres .. and play what ever they find interesting at the moment!

Fortune favors the bald.

The real question is what the publishers think will make the most money. I don't have a link on that one, but is there any doubt?

If publishers think FPSes will make the most money, we're going to see more FPSes. The consumer can effect the market, I have no doubt, but the consumer is a fickle animal at best.

I'm with mkreku on this one. I'm a true gamer and I figure most folks will consider themselves as such. ...At least the ones who come here. I like the idea behind the thread, but I think things like "combination" and "true gamer" are best left out of such polls because most folks will like variety on the one hand and well balanced game on the other. It makes options like "whole package" a little too tempting for folks to make a real stand.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's easy to get the impression that the FPS crowd is the biggest gaming group of them all, because that genre has tournaments and is all about online play. Online play = visibility.

I suspect the biggest gaming group are casual gamers who play stuff like The Sims and the dreaded EA sports games. Those players are not as visible, but when you check the lists of the top selling games of all times you'll find a bundle of NHL/NFL/NBA games up there, and I guess someone has to play them.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well the sims is kinda its own market and has the most sales. But, we could be sexist here and say this game above all others appeals to both genders, more than any other game, hence one of the reasons for its widespread success (another would be it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The majority consists of casual console sports/action gamers.

I really would like to see where you are getting this information. A link perhaps?

Most of it is obvious. There are more casual gamers than hardcore gamers. The console market is much bigger than the PC market. As far as the games being played the most, Sports titles (Madden) and action titles (GTA, Halo, Metal Gear, etc...) generally seem like the most popular. Toping various sales charts and the like.

Complex RPG gamer, that's me :cool:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

It's easy to get the impression that the FPS crowd is the biggest gaming group of them all, because that genre has tournaments and is all about online play. Online play = visibility.

I suspect the biggest gaming group are casual gamers who play stuff like The Sims and the dreaded EA sports games. Those players are not as visible, but when you check the lists of the top selling games of all times you'll find a bundle of NHL/NFL/NBA games up there, and I guess someone has to play them.

Agreed, tho' the catagory "Sim" should be "Casual".

Real "Sims" are stuff like Steel Beasts ( Tank Sim ), Silent Hunter III ( Sub Sim ), or flight sims like Jane's F/A-18 Hornet, Falcon 4.0, Strike Fighters Project 1, European Air War, M/$ Combat Flight Simulator 3, or the IL-2 Sturmovik series...

To compare these to the Wil Wright's Sims is like saying Fallout is nothing more than a Diablo clone. With the inevitable reaction from the military simmers making the most rabid of the FO fans look like a Church social group...

Military Simmers ( & Flight Simmers in particular ) tend to have the most up to date computor hardware & are most savvy in regards to drivers for their equipment. They are the most demanding of all computor gamers & tend not to suffer fools gladly to the point of it being their religion. Arouse their *Ire* at your own risk...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

I voted other as I think the "majority" belong to the group "action gamers" meaning they like fastpaced games. such as sports games, FPS, RTS-games and so on...

The importat thing isn't so much exactly what type as, how much effort it is to get started and how eventfull the gameplay is.

In other words I think the majority are the casual gamers, and they want games that don't take a long time to get started with and can be played for just a few minutes at a time and still be fun.

I base this asumption on the general feeling I get from looking at top 10 lists...

EDIT: wtf why didnt my formating work when useing quick reply???

Been doing some looking and found something about sales for pc games at gamespy.

# Top Selling PC Games (by $)

for 11/28/04 - 12/04/04 Sales Ratio

1 World of Warcraft

2 Half-Life 2

3 The Sims 2

4 Zoo Tycoon

5 Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

6 The Sims 2: Special Edition

7 Sid Meier's Pirates!

8 Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault: Director's Edition

9 Rome: Total War

10 Doom 3

Also found some less current info about percentages of sales from 2003

clicky

Console game players most often purchased action (27.1%), sports (17.6 %), and racing titles (15.7%), role-playing games (8.7%), fighting games (6.9%), family entertainment (4.7%), and shooter games (4.6%).

Computer gamers, however, most often purchased strategy games (27.1%), children's entertainment games (14.5%) and shooter games (13.5%), followed by family entertainment titles (9.5%), role-playing games (8.7%), sports titles (5.8%), racing (4.4%), adventure (3.9%), and simulation games (3.5%).

Overall tho the Console sales (186.4 million units) are much greater than computer ones (52.8 million units). So action games on console holds the vast majority for 2003 it seems. In fact by those numbers the action games on console were roughly 50.5 million units alone. Combined Roleplaying was about 20.8 billion.

What do you suppose causes these numbers? I would say PCs are built to handle strategy games better than console, and console not generaly built better for action but there are probly just more action games made for console. Also wonder what games were classified as what category and whether or not they had games like Diablo in the action category or RPG.

You'd get a better picture by looking at annual sales figures. Then looking at R&D projections for the coming year. For example, there is a trend underway among console game companies to develop PC game titles in order to diversify their product lines. You don't do something like that unless you have projections indicating a downturn in your primary product market in the next 12-18 months...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

• 2 weeks later...

I would really say I'm a true gamer. Just in the last month I have played, Madden 2005, Final Fantasy 7, CounterStrike Source, Doom 3, Command and Conquer Generals, Warcraft 3, KOTOR, Ogre Tactics, Mario 64, and a game of monopoly. Texas Holdem tomorrow night.