Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What game has most suprised you?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Arcanum. It has its problems; but overall it is simply one of the best RPGs out there. Not bad for a first try by Troika. Too bad they're next two games failed to live up to those expecations though BL was *this* close to doing so or even surpassing it..

Also, FF10 X-2. A lot of people oo pooed it as a 'girly game" and I tended to agree with all the talk about "girl power" and "sing me a career" stuff. It vast surpassed my low expecations and became a fun gaming experience.

omnimutant

omnimutant

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 130 posts
Soilders at War. Being an SSI game I was'nt expecting much. I have never been a Big Fan of SSI. A freind recomended it to me when it came out so I tried it and was Tottaly Suprised how much I loved it. It was very addictiing, and tons of fun. Great implementation of TB combat as well. I really like the Opertunity Fire Option which at the time had not been seen on any other Turn based Game. On top of that the Game editor that came with it was equally as cool and easy to use. It had Custom maps and scenerios in no time. If your a big WW2 Fan and don't mind outdated graphics Pick this up. I also heard the Silent Storm was very simular to this.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
PS:T and American McGee's Alice. I didn't expect much out of either and I still play both.

Ace

Ace

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 130 posts
Good surprise
Planescape: Torment- The more cinematic trailer for the game that came with Baldur's Gate looked interesting but I avoided the game since I heard bad things about Planescape. Eventually the game's price came down, and I picked it up as a "what the hell" sort of thing expecting a mindless dungeon crawl BG clone like Icewind Dale that was set in Planescape. I was very surprised at the actual game and started to love it about the time I talked to Dhall :sorcerer:

Bad surprise
Master of Orion 3- I loved MOO1 and MOO2, but MOO3 was a steaming pile of... Needless to say it's a game that should be burned, destroyed, etc. Of course MOO3 fans claim that people like me are just ignorant and stupid because we don't understand the true nature of a Master of Orion game...

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Tokimeki Check In. Never exepected a hentai game to be this fun. The choises I make really affect the game. Um... Itīs about manager of bath house(resort or whatever) and 9 woman who come there for weekend. Um...

:) But it is a good game, even if itīs a hentai.

DemonKing

DemonKing

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • Location:Oz, where I'm shagging on the hood of my BMW and texting like crazy
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Medal of Honor Allied Assault...I downloaded the demo without any great expectations and ended up playing it non-stop for weeks until the real deal came out, and then I played on-line for years. I still play sometimes now although COD:UO is hard to avoid.

I guess unlike previous shooter games I had played where you blazed around at high speed bunny-hopping everywhere this game actually felt like real combat might...at least to me. Plus the sound effects and taunts were awesome. ;)

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

...American McGee's ALICE...I figured it'd be somewhat amusin', but I had no idea I'd become as addicted ta this game as I became...hell, I remember a nice long discussion I had wit' Puuk (Damien Foletto) o'er on the ol' BIS Boards in which I tried ta make him a true believer o' the acid-trip greatness o' this game...truly me most surprisin' find ta date (except, o' course, fer PS:T)... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PS:T and American McGee's Alice.  I didn't expect much out of either and I still play both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...are ye stalkin' me???... :blink:

:p

Ellester

Ellester

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1273 posts
NWN, there wasnít much hype about this game I didnít really know Bioware, so I didnít expect much. But I kept on listening to Volourn and how much of a great game it was. So, I bought it, and lo and behold it was one of the best crpgís evar! Itís the only game Iíve played this year for more than a couple of hoursÖ and itís still awesome!

Oh, and Iíll chirp in on Alice too. That was a fun little game for which I wasnít expecting much. It had some great atmosphere in some of those areas. Also Iíll say Wizardry 8, as it was the only wizardry game Iíve played and I found it to be pretty darn good. I bought it and it took me about 6 months before I ever played it, but was very happy when I finally did.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
gothic 2... i love it. i'm cheating on the chests, however, by finding the combo on the web, but the only way to pick them in the first place is to save and reload ad infinitum until you pick it anyway. that kinda blows since it's really cheating, too. should be a skill check.

taks

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts
Ooh, I need to ammend my list.

Beyond Good & Evil and American McGee's Scrapland. Both very good games, and have a pretty similar feel to them, though Scrapland is, dare I say it, more...dark. Masochist Massage. :D

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You could only be so lucky, Sarge. If you get out of hand, I'll sic Volourn on you!

Oh, and KoTOR. I didn't know what to expect, but I was quite happy with it.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
KotOR. Sure it had some bad writing in places, and a nonexistant plot twist, but overall an enjoyable game. Best Star Wars game I have ever played.

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
Pax Imperia. It's an old obscure space colonization sim which I bought for 5 euros in a discount store. That game was so brilliant...

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5353 posts
Star Control II. It came for free with my copy of SC3 and it actually made the whole purchase worth it.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

You could only be so lucky, Sarge.  If you get out of hand, I'll sic Volourn on you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...yer threats mean li'l ta me, lad; wouldna be the first time (today, e'en) that I had ta smack the Gully Dwarf 'round a bit... >_<

...plagiarist... :p

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't make me pull out my +5 sword of doofus slaying, swineheart! I've been a PS:T fan since before you were born.

Azazis

Azazis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
KOTOR. I've never been into RPG style games much. But this game made me interested

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"NWN, there wasnít much hype about this game I didnít really know Bioware, so I didnít expect much. But I kept on listening to Volourn and how much of a great game it was. So, I bought it, and lo and behold it was one of the best crpgís evar! Itís the only game Iíve played this year for more than a couple of hoursÖ and itís still awesome!"

Ahh.. Sweet, sweet sarcasm. :p

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
Neverwinter Nights is a fairly complex overall. On one side it is a technological marvel with a powerful, yet easy to use tool system, a DM client, and great multiplayer. Add in the best continual technical support that any game has ever seen and you do have one the the best technical marvels of modern gaming.

Its just that the OC sucked. Its great and terrible at the same time. Only Bioware could make a game with that level of separation in quality.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Its just that the OC sucked."

Yet, you rated it 75%; the same I did!! :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic