What game has most suprised you?

Darth Reven

...American McGee's ALICE...I figured it'd be somewhat amusin', but I had no idea I'd become as addicted ta this game as I became...hell, I remember a nice long discussion I had wit' Puuk (Damien Foletto) o'er on the ol' BIS Boards in which I tried ta make him a true believer o' the acid-trip greatness o' this game...truly me most surprisin' find ta date (except, o' course, fer PS:T)... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I guess its NWN, I hadnt heard about it and my friend was like "Yeah, its like some diablo thing, boring. You want it?" so I borrowed it and enjoyed it very much despite the crappy "teh lizards pwnz yuO allzorz!" towards the end.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Fallout. I didn't have low expectations, but I did expect one of those games that only a few people like and loudly proclaim it's virtues; one of those "if you don't like it, you just don't understand it" type of things.

To my surprise, it was a very engaging and enjoyable game that, for the most part, lived up to the hype.

Vampire Bloodlines has also been a most pleasant surprise. I had expected a gothy melodramatic thing but Troika managed to avoid that (for the most part). Even the soundtrack, which I expected to not like, worked well. I wouldn't sit down and listen to it (I outgrew/got sick of most of that kind of music a few years ago), but in the game it fit nicely.

newlogo.gif

Gothic is the game that has pleasantly surprised me the most so far. I had almost never heard of it, thought the name was ugly and I had never played a good game made in Germany before. Imagine my surprise when I installed it and started it up for the first time and it turned out to be one my all time favourites.. even though I didn't even get a manual and had to spend a week trying to figure out the controls! (I bought a used copy from England)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Suffering. I thought it would be a mindless action game, but was pleasently surprised by how it handled moral choices and it's overall narrative.

Katumari Damacy was also wickedly surprising. I normally hate novelty japanese goofy games like this, but when a friend brought it over i found myself instantly addicted. It's like crack dusted pringles...you just can't help but get hooked.

I'd say System Shock 2. I had heard it was good and I had played the first one but nothing could've prepared me for so much brilliance in a single game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

PS:T... I had tried BG1 before that and decided I didn't really like that weird "infinity engine" thing. I had never heard of PS:T before, but I just couldn't resist that box art...

Kotor was also a nice surprise. After NWN I didn't really want to touch any Bioware stuff again, but in the end gave in and got it. Not a brilliant game, but good entertainment for a lot of hours.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Anachronox... when it got out i heard it was like those japanese console RPGs that i don't care about so I passed. Last year, after hearing someone on BIS board saying how good Anachronox was (Teatime IIRC) I decided to give the game a chance. Turns out it was one of the most memorable games i've played in years... though i really hated the combat system :p

Imperium Galactica 2 and Alien Legacy. Alien Legacy could use an overhaul of the Interface and Combat but otherwise it was quite fun. IG2 I bought after playing Pax Imperia at my Uncle's house and thought it was pretty cool. Couldn't find it so I picked up IG2 instead. I looked like a similar type of game. Really enjoy that one too.

I had never heard of "Knight of the Old Republic" when I suddenly saw it for sale .. So I thought I would try it out, had never tried a SW crpg before ..

It was the biggest suprise for me, because I had never expected a very good game .. but I must say that was what I got! :sorcerer:

Fortune favors the bald.

Arcanum. It has its problems; but overall it is simply one of the best RPGs out there. Not bad for a first try by Troika. Too bad they're next two games failed to live up to those expecations though BL was *this* close to doing so or even surpassing it..

Also, FF10 X-2. A lot of people oo pooed it as a 'girly game" and I tended to agree with all the talk about "girl power" and "sing me a career" stuff. It vast surpassed my low expecations and became a fun gaming experience.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Soilders at War. Being an SSI game I was'nt expecting much. I have never been a Big Fan of SSI. A freind recomended it to me when it came out so I tried it and was Tottaly Suprised how much I loved it. It was very addictiing, and tons of fun. Great implementation of TB combat as well. I really like the Opertunity Fire Option which at the time had not been seen on any other Turn based Game. On top of that the Game editor that came with it was equally as cool and easy to use. It had Custom maps and scenerios in no time. If your a big WW2 Fan and don't mind outdated graphics Pick this up. I also heard the Silent Storm was very simular to this.

PS:T and American McGee's Alice. I didn't expect much out of either and I still play both.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Good surprise

Planescape: Torment- The more cinematic trailer for the game that came with Baldur's Gate looked interesting but I avoided the game since I heard bad things about Planescape. Eventually the game's price came down, and I picked it up as a "what the hell" sort of thing expecting a mindless dungeon crawl BG clone like Icewind Dale that was set in Planescape. I was very surprised at the actual game and started to love it about the time I talked to Dhall :sorcerer:

Bad surprise

Master of Orion 3- I loved MOO1 and MOO2, but MOO3 was a steaming pile of... Needless to say it's a game that should be burned, destroyed, etc. Of course MOO3 fans claim that people like me are just ignorant and stupid because we don't understand the true nature of a Master of Orion game...