Random Loot Generator

I know this has been mentioned before by alot of other people but, I just have to say something about this.

The random loot generator is abhorrent.

And I only say this now because when I first played the game, it didn't seem like too much of a problem for me. I got my first Jedi robe the moment I landed on Citadel Station and then, shortly after I made my first lightsabre, I started finding short lightsabres and Dark Jedi robes all over the place.

Some in the most random places. Like I would find Dark Jedi robes off a dead Rhodian thug lying in the street.

But after playing the game again, I had the exact opposite experience. This time it took me forever to find a Jedi Robe and I only got one when I bought one from a vendor. And this is how I got my first Dark Jedi robe. The majority of crap I was getting was just that - crap.

Stuff my character couldn't really use or stuff I had no interest in using.

I never found a single solitary lightsabre anywhere. I only got lightsabres after completing certain quests. And I never found any robes off of anyone. I had to buy those, with the exception of Dark Jedi Master robes which I got

after I killed Darth Sion

So, in short, the random generator just really sucks. If KOTOR 3 ever happens, please refine this system or do away with altogether.[/venting]

It didn't bother me. There's really no more Jedi in the galaxy so you shouldn't be getting robes and lightsabers galore. Although it kind of irritated me that Dark Jedi weilding lightsabers did not drop lightsabers, but oh well.

i would have rather they used the system where the enemy you just killed would drop the weapon they were using against you. thus, if they were using a lightsaber, they drop a lightsaber. if they were using a repeating blaster, they drop a repeating blaster.

i just found it weird when someone was attacking me with a stun baton (or something like that) and when i killed them and looted their corpse i end up with a sith war blade or something similar.

i also found lightsabers on characters that had no business having them.

I think the logic behind this is that they were carrying these items, not using them. Although, why would someone use a stun baton if they had a sith war blade? Ah well, it's a crappy system anyway

Well, i shouldn't say crappy, because that's an ignorant statement. It's abhorrent, like the first guy said

i would have rather they used the system where the enemy you just killed would drop the weapon they were using against you.  thus, if they were using a lightsaber, they drop a lightsaber.  if they were using a repeating blaster, they drop a repeating blaster.

i just found it weird when someone was attacking me with a stun baton (or something like that) and when i killed them and looted their corpse i end up with a sith war blade or something similar.

i also found lightsabers on characters that had no business having them.

Totally agree, pisses me off when that doesn't happen, though in KotOR I they did an alright job.

KotOR I had something similar, atleast with certain enemies. As a modder I have looked extensively into the files that allow this and I must say it takes a huge amount of time to specify what items you want where, Bioware probably had five guys doing this for months on end.

I perfer a compromise of sorts, have important items placed on specific characters and then have the rest be random, not the most ideal way to do it but it works alright without pissing too many peeps off.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

I know for balance reasons they decided to have less lightsabers in this game. That was good, because in KOTOR, when you only had three Jedi in your party, it was still possible to accumulate lots and lots of lightsabers.

Now that you are the "last of the Jedi," it makes sense for lightsabers to be rare. But I agree with the comments about the random item generator. I think it's fine for boxes and footlockers, but enemies should drop the same stuff every time. I can see minor variations, like sometimes you will recieve a short lightsaber instead of a regular, stuff like that. But the loot dropped should have some sort of correlation to the enemy (i.e. was he/she armored? jedi? ranged or melee? shielded? you get the idea).

I really like getting random stuff out of containers. It was shocking to get an adrenaline stimulator, one of the best items in KOTOR, real early in KOTOR 2. My first playthrough I got the +4 DEF robes that allows a +4 DEX bonus and all force powers on the Telos surface. Haven't seen that yet this time and I'm pretty far into my second game.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Or if you kill a turret you shouldnt get credits. The RLG is a good idea in theory. In theory mind you communism works <_<

On official Sith business.

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.

Mao Tse-Tung

So did anything wokred fine in that game??

All I've heard until now from Xbox players are complains..

I think what you will find is most of the people who are complaining constently about the game are either people like hades, who are serious RPGers and hate the way the KOTOR series is set up for playability (not really a bad thing, they just aren't fans of "munchkin games"). Or people who have had some serious peoblems with the game, either because of their Xbox being modded or just old, or from getting a bad batch of disks, and thus they feel that because they didn't enjoy the game or missed out on being able to return it when they had the chance to do so, that they should put down anything that has to do with the game (once agian nothign wrong with them stating their opinion on the game and the quality of the different parts of the game but do we really need to hear it 20 times or more a day?).

I myself enjoyed the game and only had some very minor problems that didn't in anyway hinder the game play. While I may not have liked the ending of the game as much as I did KOTOR I think they did the best job they could have done with the time table being moved up and having no say over it being rushed through Q&A. Now before someone comes on as says that Obsidian is as much or more at fault than LA for the story in the game lacking the zeal of KOTOR you have to remember two things first they were trying to follow the 2003 game of the year and there was bound to be problems caused by this. Secondly they only had a little over a year to develope this game while Bio had what two + years to work on KOTOR so I think this alone should grant them some degree slack as to the qaulity of game they did put out for all of us to enjoy.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

or missed out on being able to return it when they had the chance to do so

I'm not sure what it's like in Canada, but most places in the US don't allow game returns.

I don't know how it's like in your part of the USA, but most places in NYC or anywhere in the Tri-State area allow you to return games.

In Iowa you can only return the game for the same game and no, you cannot get your money back.

That's why you purchase the game from a website that lets you return it for your money back + free shipping. For example, LucasArts. All Best Buy stores let you do that as well to the best of my knowledge.

I think the random loot generator is a great idea. It maeks the game more realistic. Some people are complaining that it's not very realistic because you can't get lightsabers/robes sometimes from Dark Jedi. Well, sorry but that's somewhat realistic.

If you kill a Dark Jedi/Light Jedi, odds are that you raelly messed up the robes they were wearing and it's not feasible to use them again. Also it's quite possible for their lightsabers to be damaged during the battle. You have to realize these people just died, their items aren't in great condition :)

To be fair, I have read about some bad uses....for instance, the time you fight somebody near the end of the game who clearly DOES NOT wear a Dark Jedi Master robe, you somehow get one from him... :o

Oh well, nothings perfect, but from what I've read it's greatly improved from Kotor 1

What would be realistic if the computer takes a look at the equipment being used by the adversary and take into account how quickly they died. Faster they died, the more salvagable their equipment is, ut longer the battle goes the less likely there will be anything of use left for it will either be used up, such as healthpacks, or destroyed and rendered unusable.

That would be the realistic way of doing it. Not Bioware's way or this random loot drop. You would think that this would be somewhat common sense for developers to use. :o

Yeah, I think finding sith war swords inside of animals is so realistic.

Well like I said, I haven't played the game yet. And I did mention that I have heard of some obvious flaws. You apparently chose not to read my whole post and to reply negatively. Good job! :ermm:

By the way, your example is pretty poor regardless. Like in Kotor 1, you found the blade of Bacca's Ceremonial sword in the Terentatek on Kashyyk. Don't you think it's possible the Sith battled these animals at one time and stuck their weapons in their hides?

What would be realistic if the computer takes a look at the equipment being used by the adversary and take into account how quickly they died.  Faster they died, the more salvagable their equipment is, ut longer the battle goes the less likely there will be anything of use left for it will either be used up, such as healthpacks, or destroyed and rendered unusable.

That would be the realistic way of doing it.  Not Bioware's way or this random loot drop.  You would think that this would be somewhat common sense for developers to use.  :ermm:

Well, that's not realistic either...How long it takes for somebody to die has really no affect on their items they're carrying. In all reality it's probably more realistic to say that the longer it takes the more items are preserved.

For instance, if you kill them quick it means a fatal critical stab or some quick damaging strike on your part. That would mean they would be severed by your blow or quickly fried by a force power. On the other hand, if the battle takes a while they could become exhausted and careless and your small insignificant blows (which don't harm they're items) begin to add up and kill them.

Either way that's not significant, it's a pretty poor way to do random drops. If you're getting items off a dead enemy I think it should just be random what you get. However, the items the computer has to choose from should be something the dead character could have realistically been carrying.