Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's your favorite fantasy/si fi world?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite fantasy world? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite fantasy world?

1. Final Fantasy (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Dungeons & Dragons (10 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Star Wars (7 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Battletech (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Warhammer (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

6. Lord Of The Rings (6 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

7. Matrix (0 votes [0.00%])

8. StarCraft/WarCraft (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Half Life or an FPS (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Other (11 votes [31.43%])

Percentage of vote: 31.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Loof

Loof

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
What my exact favorite is i can't seem to make up my mind about but it definetly isn't one of those. In general a good world is more likely found in a book then in a game...
For fantasy Steven Eriksons Malazan world comes to mind, but there are so many I like its hard to say if its "da best" :))

deganawida

deganawida

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts

I like Concrete Kingsom.  It is my own homebrew sci fi/fantasy that I use d20 Modern as the rule base for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you mean "Kingdom"? I'm only asking because the more I hear about your homebrew the more intrigued I become, and if it is "Kingsom", then I'd like to know what that means and how it is important within the world.

As for the topic at hand, I picked "Other". For D&D worlds, my current fave is Eberron, followed by a tie between Planescape and Birthright. These three CS's are the most logical and best developed IMO. For novel worlds, I enjoy many; ME is, of course, my favorite, though I also enjoy Midkemia (Feist), the world of the Wheel of Time (though I'm disgusted with Jordan's last five or six novels, not including Winter's Heart), the world of the Belgariad (David Eddings--not the best fantasy, but entertaining), Charles de Lint''s Newport, the world of the "Cups and Sorcery" trilogy (a nice satire/parody with rich detail created and written by Greg Costikyan), the world of Kami Dan'shiir (by Joel Rosenberg), the earth of Terry Brooks' "Word and Void" trilogy, Langkmar (sp?), Tanelorn (and all the multiverse), the world of Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn", and the world of J. Gregory Keyes' Waterborn and Blackgod novels.

I think that's it.

Oh, one last thing, Star Wars does classify as fantasy, because it has magic (the Force) which cannot be explained by the science of the stories.

Langky

Langky

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 379 posts
I dont really have a "Favourite" setting I think that all settings have their good parts and the their bad parts, but I put down "Lord of the Rings" just out of respect for the genesis of fantasy books ultimately it was the book that got fantasy moving.

Guest_Surlent_*

Guest_Surlent_*
  • Guests
Arcanum 1800's steampunk and Deus Ex post modern nanotech era :thumbsup:

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4615 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I :thumbsup: never liked(perhaps too strongly said) d&d worlds. They are just too explained. Everyone knows magic and gods and stuff. They just lacked any mysticism that should definetly be in fantasy world. Um... That said I kinda never have looked into them because of what I said so I could be wrong on some cases.

My favourite would probably be Earthsea by Ursula Leguin.

Ivan the Terrible

Ivan the Terrible

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1444 posts

:huh:  never liked(perhaps too strongly said) d&d worlds. They are just too explained. Everyone knows magic and gods and stuff. They just lacked any mysticism that should definetly be in fantasy world.  Um... That said I kinda never have looked into them because of what I said so I could be wrong on some cases.

No, that seems to be pretty much the case, in my experience.

Especially Forgotten Realms.

Judge Hades

Judge Hades

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13912 posts
Damn typoes. Yes, Kingdom not Kingsom. Grrr...

Yes, Star Wars is fantasy because if you remove the Force the story of Star Wars can't work, but if you remove the science aspects of it it can still work. That s one of the things I worked on Concrete Kingdom. If you remove the magic aspects of it the stories and campaign does not work. If you remove the science aspects of it the story and campaign also ofalls apart.

That is what marks Science Fantasy from just regualr science fiction and fantasy.

Niten_Ryu

Niten_Ryu

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 933 posts
Lord of the Rings
But not end of third age, because obvious heros of that age are someone else than you or your party. There are interesting events in the middle of 2nd or 3rd age (PnP adventures). I'd love to see cRPG set in the First Age but I don't think it's going to happen.

Star Wars
KotOR timeline or even earlier. Again, you can't be THE hero if timeline is near the offical movies.

Planescape
Any timeline, any dimension, any door. As long as Sigil is there. So many chances to be hero (or villain) as long as you don't actually end Blood War, destroy indestructible Lady of Pain or blow up Sigil.

Arcanum
I really loved Arcanums magic vs. technology world and how different races saw industrial revolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users