What's your favorite fantasy/si fi world?

Darth Reven

What is your favorite fantasy world?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite fantasy world?

• Final Fantasy
    • Dungeons & Dragons
    • Star Wars
    • Battletech
    • Warhammer
    • Lord Of The Rings
    • Matrix
    • StarCraft/WarCraft
    • Half Life or an FPS
    • Other

Mine would be R.E. Feists world of Midkemia (and the rest of the Riftwar setting). I think that is the best, living fantasy world there is, almost as good as SW. The reason I didn't vote SW is that SW IMO is SciFi instead of Fantasy, but anyway...

From the list, I supported Warcraft. Which has a lot based on DnD anyway, however I enjoy it more than FR and other worlds of DnD (expect for Planescape setting) because they portary each races in a more balanced way, rather than "this race is evil, this race is not evil, and this is netual".

The Orc's tribal background its well "blended", and the Night Elves are really well done, shame about the ears seems more like rabbits ears.

I could not pick Middle Earth because its the grandfather of DnD and many fantasy settings, stories, its too great to be amoug all these on the list. Also, I think ME is real, not just a fantasy...

EDIT: Actually I dont know what I am talking about, I am sure undead is evil, but I hope you get my meaning that, other races are not too extream interms of good and evil, such as in NWN and some other DnD games.

No specific world wins by a wide margin, but I've been redeveloping my teenage love of Shadowrun recently (found a huge stack of sourcebooks in a back room), so I'll go with that.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Assuming that Warhammer covers both the Fantasy and the Sci-Fi setting, it's definitely my favourite. Makes Fallout look like a walk in the rose garden by comparison :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Assuming that Warhammer covers both the Fantasy and the Sci-Fi setting, it's definitely my favourite. Makes Fallout look like a walk in the rose garden by comparison :p

Any preference of 40K or Fantasy? Or just both combined?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Assuming that Warhammer covers both the Fantasy and the Sci-Fi setting, it's definitely my favourite. Makes Fallout look like a walk in the rose garden by comparison :)

Any preference of 40K or Fantasy? Or just both combined?

As a universe, I prefer 40k, as a gaming system I prefer Fantasy, especially Mordheim.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My Fav: 7th Sea by AEG.

Awesome Age of Sail with Sorcery and lost civilizations setting. :thumbsup:

Honorable mentions:

Warhammer (nice gritter middle ages setting without all the "fluff" you find in DnD/Middle Earth)

Legend of the Five Rings (nice feudal Japanese style game with magic) Used to be my fav but I feel I've outgrown it.

TORG (The FIRST MultiGenre RPG... I love Multigenre)

Easily Arda wherein lies middle-earth. This has more to do with the fact that I know more about it than any other. D&D as far as a "world" is non existant. It is a rule set. Unless you mean Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc... Star Wars is a given for any geek.

Planescape, Fallout, Shadowrun, and Arcanum are all very interesting settings I would love to see used in more crpgs.

Also the world of the Thief series was very well done. Sort of a dark medieval steampunkish camelot. Theres this whole nature vs. technology scene going on. And a secret brotherhood trying to mantain the balance of power.

I prefer the post apocalyptic setting. There's something about helping civilization after a huge world destroying war that's intriguing to me. Also, I love the possibility of being able to explore the ruins of long forgotten cities, where I can actually recognize the items I find. As a bonus, I prefer games with real weapons. I've always preferred an AK-47 over a longsword +3.

My favourite RPG of all time is probably Wasteland, just so you know it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My favourite RPG of all time is probably Wasteland, just so you know it.

Would of never guessed with your avatar.:ermm:

d&d just because I grew up with it and still enjoy it to this day, so it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Legend of the Five Rings (nice feudal Japanese style game with magic)

hmm .. based on the book(s) of Miyamoto Musashi?? (The book of Five Rings)

I like post apocalyptic as well .. but for a very twisted, and very disturbing, reason I won't reveal! :)

- Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

You've always wanted to wear worn leather pants with the buttocks cut out?

The Fantasy world just in general would be Tolkiens Middle-Earth, but for CRPGs I prefer modern, present-day settings.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What my exact favorite is i can't seem to make up my mind about but it definetly isn't one of those. In general a good world is more likely found in a book then in a game...

For fantasy Steven Eriksons Malazan world comes to mind, but there are so many I like its hard to say if its "da best" :))

I like Concrete Kingsom.  It is my own homebrew sci fi/fantasy that I use d20 Modern as the rule base for.

Did you mean "Kingdom"? I'm only asking because the more I hear about your homebrew the more intrigued I become, and if it is "Kingsom", then I'd like to know what that means and how it is important within the world.

As for the topic at hand, I picked "Other". For D&D worlds, my current fave is Eberron, followed by a tie between Planescape and Birthright. These three CS's are the most logical and best developed IMO. For novel worlds, I enjoy many; ME is, of course, my favorite, though I also enjoy Midkemia (Feist), the world of the Wheel of Time (though I'm disgusted with Jordan's last five or six novels, not including Winter's Heart), the world of the Belgariad (David Eddings--not the best fantasy, but entertaining), Charles de Lint''s Newport, the world of the "Cups and Sorcery" trilogy (a nice satire/parody with rich detail created and written by Greg Costikyan), the world of Kami Dan'shiir (by Joel Rosenberg), the earth of Terry Brooks' "Word and Void" trilogy, Langkmar (sp?), Tanelorn (and all the multiverse), the world of Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn", and the world of J. Gregory Keyes' Waterborn and Blackgod novels.

I think that's it.

Oh, one last thing, Star Wars does classify as fantasy, because it has magic (the Force) which cannot be explained by the science of the stories.

I dont really have a "Favourite" setting I think that all settings have their good parts and the their bad parts, but I put down "Lord of the Rings" just out of respect for the genesis of fantasy books ultimately it was the book that got fantasy moving.

I :thumbsup: never liked(perhaps too strongly said) d&d worlds. They are just too explained. Everyone knows magic and gods and stuff. They just lacked any mysticism that should definetly be in fantasy world. Um... That said I kinda never have looked into them because of what I said so I could be wrong on some cases.

My favourite would probably be Earthsea by Ursula Leguin.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.