Dragon Age?

8-bit

sorry if this has been discussed, but I searched and nothing came up....what's the deal with Bioware's Dragon Age? It looks a hell of a lot like NWN, with nice looking graphics and a toolset/multiplayer option. Is this supposed to be competing with NWN 2 or something?

I know this is going to sound stupid, but why did they drop NWN 2, just to create something else just like it??  :thumbsup:

So they wouldn't have to deal with WOTC.

So that they can create their own RPG universe.

So that royalties wouldn't cut into their profit margin.

So that they can have more say in publishing decisions.

Plus plenty more reasons.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

sorry if this has been discussed, but I searched and nothing came up....what's the deal with Bioware's Dragon Age? It looks a hell of a lot like NWN, with nice looking graphics and a toolset/multiplayer option. Is this supposed to be competing with NWN 2 or something?

This thread is going to get moved/whacked as this is the wrong forum and many topics about it in the off topic/rpg forum. But with that said...

DA is more a BG mirror image. Strong SP, full party control. MP a after thought and no pw/semi-pw ability at all from the sounds of it.

Also you are going to have a much smaller custom content community working on DA. As its going to be much more complex then NWN. But that content should be consistantly high quality. So its a trade off I suppose.

I feel DA will be a good, solid SP game with limited cc, again similar to the path BG evolved.

But nwn2 will be more or less closer to how nwn1 is currently cc/community wise.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Well, Biwoare had said way back when that NWN 1 was as good as BG when that was an outright lie. We have seen their quality of late in game making which took a sharp downhill spiral since ToB.

The plotline of DA I suspect that a great artifact from the ancient past has been found and is being used in some dark purpose. The main female NPC on the side of good and right will be seduced and join the side of evil which then you will have the chance to redeem her, kill her, or join her.

hhmm.. that sounds like a fresh, new idea. Perhaps you can sell that to bioware..? :thumbsup:

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Yeah, I probably should.  Its not like they have used it before.  :(

Oh, yes they did.  They used it in Neverwinter Knights of the Old Republic.

I assume theres a inside swipe at KOTOR I but since I never played that I am kind of in the dark..

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

The plotline of DA I suspect that a great artifact from the ancient past has been found and is being used in some dark purpose.  The main female NPC on the side of good and right will be seduced and join the side of evil which then you will have the chance to redeem her, kill her, or join her.

You forgot about the ancient mysterious race who created everything.

The BW designers must all have read the same "Drama for Dummies" book when writing the plot for their games. The thing they pulled with NWN-KoTOR was dirt cheap.

nevertheless I enjoyed NWN immensly and KoTOR is my favorite CRPG of all time.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"DA is more a BG mirror image."

No, it isn't. Last I checked, BG didn't have a toolset at all. Last I checked, Bg didn't have a DM client which i do believe DA has (could be mistaken here though). The tooslet will probably be more complicated to use than NWN1/2s; but I doubt it'll be as complicated as I you presume...

As BIO has said, DA is a combination of BG, NWN, and KOTOR - basically all of their games.

As for me, I'll buy both.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I assume theres a inside swipe at KOTOR I but since I never played that I am kind of in the dark..

For the most part KotOR 1 is a good game but Bioware made a few amateurish mistakes in its writing and designed it for power gaming casuals who couldn't solve a puzzle to get out of a wet paper bag.