Sweet, sweet Torment

"Sounds a wee bit hypocritical to me."

Your point? I just don't want people to be like me as if you are like me you are an idiot. See, I am a hero. I am trying to save them poor souls.

That is all. :sorcerer:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sorry, but Volourn is correct. Great amounts of text alone doesnt make a game the greatest achievement.

Sorry, but it's not the quantity of the text that makes PS:T great. It's the quality.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Sorry, but it's not the quantity of the text that makes PS:T great. It's the quality."

Problem is a good protion of PST's words were simply not needed. It could of told the same story with the same meaningfulness without being so overbloated. Of course, overall, the writing was still good; but it was nowhere near as perfect as some people claim.

I agree, Vol. I think the writing showed great natural talent, but it was bloated. It is one of my few complaints about the game. Nevertheless, it was, for me, the best CRPG I've ever played.

More than the actual prose or style, the themes themselves resonated with me. I guess that's why I loved PS:T as much as I did. It's not that I see it as perfect in every way. Rather, I felt genuine emotion at virtually every step of the journey.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think it's because of the large amount of well-written text that I remember the game so well, and the reason so much of it stays with me. Ironically, I tend to remember visuals more than words (spoken or read), but in the case of PS:T, when compared in memory to other cRPGs, it lingers more strongly than the others, even those played more recently.

Whatever one feels about the quality of the text, good or not, it's much better than most, if not all, cRPG text and dialogue. As a literary achievment I wouldn't say it's anything notable, but in terms of cRPG text, it's extraordinary.

newlogo.gif

"the themes themselves resonated with me."

That's true. The themes, for the most aprt, were hit on really well. It's what connected with me more than just the writing itself.

"Bingo. Like I said before, PS:T should be the standard of all CRPGs where it comes to story quality."

Nonsense. if that were the case, PST's writing would be merely average hence it would not be very memorable. It's memorability comes from the fact that it is special. Just like FO's remembered because its in a class of its won when it comes to freedom in a CRPG. And, BG series is memorable because it pretty much is the epitome of epicness in CRPGs accomplish so many things at once. If these qualities were shared by all games on average; gaming would likely be boring because all games would be the same.

*yawn*

It's the average games in their avergaeness that makes the special games like PST, FO, and BG stand out.

That is all. :ermm:

How would they be the same? I don't follow your logic, Volourn. If PS:T story quality and Fallout open style gameplay were standard, game developers would actually try to exceed those standards. For those who want average games we would still have rhigher quality than the current drek and crap we are getting now.

I don't want to go through 6-7 years without a near perfect game.

It's the average games in their avergaeness that makes the special games like PST, FO, and BG stand out.

...damn...in the 3 1/2 years I's known ye, dwarf, that's the most intelligent thing I's e'er seen ya post... :blink:

...damn, agreein' wit' ye hurts me head...thank the Gods Theyselves it dunna happen often... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

"damn...in the 3 1/2 years I's known ye, dwarf, that's the most intelligent thing I's e'er seen ya post...

...damn, agreein' wit' ye hurts me head...thank the Gods Theyselves it dunna happen often... "

Damn. Just to say, I lied in that quote. The last I want is being caught in agreement with a silly gibberish speaking wemic. Gah. :blink::thumbsup:

...hehehe...touche, dwarf...now LEARN HOW TA USE THE DAMN QUOTE BUTTON PROPERLY, YA BLITHERIN' PUSSBUCKET!!!... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way