Sweet, sweet Torment

As far as the 4 disc and 2 disc versions go, the 4 disc was the original release and the 2 disc a later, budget-priced release. The 2 disc just uses more modern compression technology so it fits on fewer discs, and it comes patched. You have to patch the 4 disc version.

On the other hand, the available NoCD fix only works on the 4 disc version :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Would it kill you to give it a try and find out for yourself whether it is worth it or not??

I think Planescape Torment is the greatest RPG released so far.

I might do, its just that playing a game so old, just before K2 arrives...I'm afraid it will kill the gaming experience I get from PS: T

playing it before you get spoiled with K2s graphics is a good idea. and if it keeps you occupied until the first patch for K2 comes along then youve got an even better deal.

thats my plan anyhow.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I rather miss SP's presence, even if his constant attacks on P:ST get a little irritating. Hell, he could come complain a little bit, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"Planescape Torment is the greatest rpg of them all. There is absolutely no doubt about that and it is a solid fact."

A fact? Hahah. It's good; possibly even great; but the best? No. Not even close. that remains to be BG series, FO series, NWN, and the Ultimas (most of 'em anyways).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I never played PS: Torment. I bought the game a long time ago and it's on a shelf two metres away from me collecting dust.. :ph34r:

Is it really worth it? The game seemed so dark to me.

If you like in-depth plots and characters, yes, it's worth it.

I won't kid you, though, it is a dark game.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

No, you are incorrect.  It is the second greatest.

And which game is it that can top Torment?

"Planescape Torment is the greatest rpg of them all. There is absolutely no doubt about that and it is a solid fact."

A fact? Hahah. It's good; possibly even great; but the best? No. Not even close. that remains to be BG series, FO series, NWN, and the Ultimas (most of 'em anyways).

Only, volourn :)"

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

...PS:T be the single greatest achievement in the cRPG genre to date...period... :)

...Volourn, on the other hand, be the single greatest achievement in the head permanently wedged up his own arse genre... :huh:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

head permanently wedged up his own arse.... hahaha. Do you people stay awake at night thinking up this stuff?!?

At any rate, PS:T is the greatest achievement in a CRPG to date.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Great amounts of text alone doesnt make a game the greatest achievement.

But a storyline which transcends the endlessly boring 'there's a big bad guy trying to destroy a country/world/galaxy! Go kill him!' does. Especially one as well-designed as Torment.

Sorry, but Volourn is correct. Great amounts of text alone doesnt make a game the greatest achievement.

True. If great amounts of text alone made something a great achievment, these boards would have to be included in the canon of great literary works.

It's the story, characters and unfolding of events contained and delivered by that great amount of text that matter, and in the case of Torment that text did an excellent job in presenting a gripping, intriguing and fairly unique (for cRPGs) story and character play experience.

Does that make it the greatest game ever? No, a great game needs more than a story, and while Torment had a great story, the gameplay mechanics were lacking. Still, it's one of the better games I've played and is the closest to a "more than a video game" experience I've had in playing computer games.

newlogo.gif

head permanently wedged up his own arse.... hahaha.  Do you people stay awake at night thinking up this stuff?!?

...it comes naturally, really...'specially when discussin' Volourn... :p

Sorry, but Volourn is correct. Great amounts of text alone doesnt make a game the greatest achievement.

...no, it doesna; but an incredibly grippin' story that transcends the simple "kill the bad guy" theme an' strikes a chord o' heart-felt sentiment bound only by what one sees as the answers ta the eternal questions o' "what is mortality", "what makes us who we are" an' "what can change the nature of a man" combined wit' incredible characters an' an amazin' journey through the Planes all in the name o' findin' yerself does...PS:T delivered the complete package; no cRPG before or since can make that claim... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

"But a storyline which transcends the endlessly boring 'there's a big bad guy trying to destroy a country/world/galaxy! Go kill him!' does. Especially one as well-designed as Torment."

Yeah. Because, the amnesiac plot is sooooooooooooooo much more special and unique. R00fles!

"PS:T delivered the complete package;"

It's too bad you don't know what 'complete package' means. PST has a great story and great characters; but that does not make the package complete. Afterall, a complete package RPG would be one with great story, characters, combat, freedom, great character creation and ehancement, etc., etc.

Only the Bgs, and FOS offer this. They win. Game over.

They are the TRUE complete packages.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.